NEW JOB

I start a new job on Tuesday and Tuesday can’t come quick enough! Agencies and employers seem very keen to give new drivers with the right attitude a break. Good times :slight_smile:

Laup:
I start a new job on Tuesday and Tuesday can’t come quick enough! Agencies and employers seem very keen to give new drivers with the right attitude a break. Good times :slight_smile:

Well done but the real reason they are giving you a chance is because it is the xmas silly season where everywhere is desperate for drivers. The real test is keeping your job after 20th December :wink:

duplicate

yea they do seem desperate haha. Had 1 agency try and push umbrella as they don’t do PAYE. I walked away. Day later they were on phone offering PAYE

Laup:
yea they do seem desperate haha. Had 1 agency try and push umbrella as they don’t do PAYE. I walked away. Day later they were on phone offering PAYE

Treat all agencies as if they are telling you it is raining while pi55ing on your leg and you won’t go far wrong. Mistakes I have learned from in the past are:

• Believing that if I do anything the agency says will hold me in good stead for keeping the job
  • Thinking that umbrella was a good move
  • Believing the agency has no class 1 work for tomorrow and I have to do multidrop class 2 (they all pull this one)
  • Thinking that they will honour their guaranteed 8 hours pay if the job is cancelled, Freeway in Leeds sent me three times to a job for Yuson logistics at 5am and there was no work for me so was sent home and guess what I did not get paid :open_mouth:

Lots of other tricks they get up to but use them and bin them and also play one agency off against another is a good tactic. TBH agencies are all bad and will happily pay you £8 an hour for breaking your back doing the hardest multidrop job while charging the firm £18 an hour for you (see Pound Wars on BBC Chis Edwards reference what Poundworld were paying agencies, I worked for one of those agencies :open_mouth: )

Thanks to this site I was well informed and stood my ground, then boom I was offered a job at a company so I took it. As I love old school roping and sheeting I found a job that does it so it is right up my tree. Hopefully it will lead onto abnormal loads in a a good few years.

Laup:
Thanks to this site I was well informed and stood my ground, then boom I was offered a job at a company so I took it. As I love old school roping and sheeting I found a job that does it so it is right up my tree. Hopefully it will lead onto abnormal loads in a a good few years.

Yes I agree with you here that is a good move and you will have a niche skill. No girls will do it or the eastern block brigade and you will always find work with the likes of Prestons of Potto et al who find it hard to get new hands that can rope and sheet and will value the rare driver these days who can do the job. Well done that man :wink:

thank you sir :slight_smile: I’m just flicking through my Encyclopedia of knots and I have got the kids and the dog all strapped down. Practice makes perfect :laughing:

Laup:
thank you sir :slight_smile: I’m just flicking through my Encyclopedia of knots and I have got the kids and the dog all strapped down. Practice makes perfect :laughing:

The Dolly knot or Truckers hitch as the yanks call it is still in use. Malcolms use it for glass as ratchet straps break the product etc. Steel you have to use chains, most stuff you have to use ratchets and load bars but doesn’t hurt to know how to rope something down even if it is just for your car trailer and taking stuff to the tip :smiley:

One Dolly will be good to keep doors secure on a night out and the other dolly to keep me company :slight_smile:

Laup:
One Dolly will be good to keep doors secure on a night out and the other dolly to keep me company :slight_smile:

Ha ha just reminded me of only fools and horses and pictured loads of dollies in your cab blowing themselves up while parked in the services on your break :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Haha class!

alder:

Laup:

The Dolly knot or Truckers hitch as the yanks call it is still in use. Malcolms use it for glass as ratchet straps break the product etc. Steel you have to use chains, most stuff you have to use ratchets and load bars but doesn’t hurt to know how to rope something down even if it is just for your car trailer and taking stuff to the tip :smiley:

I work for prestons and I use dolly knots multiple times a day absolute necessity to know in the sheeting business. :slight_smile:

Haha me too. On induction as we speak

Laup:
Haha me too. On induction as we speak

Ha on a week off at the minute where you doing your induction at?