New rules coming for speed limits and use of outside lane

Just had a look at this on AOL and it seems that the 3.5 to 7.5 ton trucks will get some restrictions in the near future uk.autoblog.com/2010/02/03/hgvs- … -lane-ban/

That’s a change from the original plan of…

Changing the national motorway speed limit for all over 3.5 tonnes including all PCVs to 56 mph whether they have a limiter fitted or not and restricting all to the same lanes as LGVs over 7.5 tonne are now.

The original proposal was to harmonise all at one general max speed limit to prevent the frustration that now ensues, especially with PCVs.

The government is considering changing the law to prohibit all HGVs over 3.5 tonnes from using the fast lanes of motorways, and restricting their speed to 60mph.

Whats a fast lane :open_mouth: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: Some jumped up ■■■■■■ has wrote that article clearly. Here me thinking outside lanes where for overtaking :unamused:

ROG:
The original proposal was to harmonise all at one general max speed limit to prevent the frustration that now ensues, especially with PCVs.

I’m quite happy buses are quick its one less thing sitting in front of you, one less thing to overtake , one less thing that doesn’t struggle up hills because it can carry decent speed into it. One less thing to dodge on onslips/off slips because it has the extra mph under the hood.

Whats the thinking of limiting 3.5 tonnes to 56mph and limiting buses to 65mph - cant be stopping distance because a 3.5 tonner would stop in half the distance of a full bus.

I hate the whole 56mph thing. It’s 90kmh if you are in Europe, we should be limited to 60mph like the speed limit in OUR country dictates. As it is 56mph then all vehicles over 3.5t should be limited to this speed. Cars should be limited to 67mph along with vans, makes me laught when you see the driver of small sprinter or whatever as you overtake him slowly because his van is limited to 56mph. The one thing that really baffles me though is the bus and coaches doing 65. Surely as the earlier post says, this has to be rectified soon, 74 people on board, if that vehicle leaves the motorway at 65 mph there is going to be no chance for them people in the fibre class box, I know it must be a slim line but at 56mph they will have less chance of an accident (unless as we all know some div in a car has to get in front of you to come off the junction that he’s already half way passed)

i thought buses were limited to 100
limiting everything else to 90 is crazy

it’s still at the consultation stage

dft.gov.uk/consultations/open/2010-06/

tell them what you think :wink:

Kerbdog:
The one thing that really baffles me though is the bus and coaches doing 65.

Buses and coaches are limited to 62 :wink:
A fully loaded bus/coach can weigh as much as a fully loaded 18 tonner as for every 15 passengers is a ton :wink:

The tw@ts in power will continue until lanes 1 and 2 are totally blocked with anything that weighs heavier than a ■■■ box so that the citizens of the country can have lane 3 to carry on their business without delay - IMHO.

How long before we see a dual carriageway with only one lane available for goods traffic?

The whole lot is screwed and it’s all being done on the back of global warming - or lack of it! Hey man - peace dude, yeah lets save the planet - FFS :imp: :imp:

Until we get away from ‘cars come first’ then nothing will change - more voters drive cars than commercials