New owner driver!

hi all

i am new in this website and also a new owner driver, i have a DAF CF 6x2 44 ton.

i am going to start to work with a company called Connect logstic in hitchin on monday, mostly containers from tilbury!!! i know picking up container from port is not really good but i have no choise at the moment.

what and where is the best way to start?

i am single and at the moment hungry for work can work day, night and even weekends.

can anybody tell me how much deisel would a 12.5 liter engine would burn per mile and on avreage how much i should charge a customer per mile e.g £2.20 per mile?

i got someone who pay £400 from Erith to hexam in north and £450 from there to Erith in kent again (315 miles one way), i wonder how much fuel i would burn or if the job worth it? any idea…

i much appreciate any help…

About a fivers worth, have you not had the truck very long then?.

Its usually 2p a mile for the diesel.

:unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

surely you should have asked those question earlier :unamused:

you can’t work day, night and weekends - read HERE

you won’t get £2.20 a mile

Diesel costs somewhere in the region of £1 a litre if you haven’t got a credit record - 1 litre will take you about 1 1/2 miles

my god is this person for real,then people wonder why the transport industry is in such a mess,surely this is a wind up.

vastlyexp:
wind up.

:unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

thanks everyone 4 replays, it was a good start, i have a bit of clue but iam not very expreinced, but i think i’ve got to start from somewhere.

but thanks anyway

I am shocked by the questions you are asking at this stage in the game Cliff. No wonder they call you Extreme!

By asking lots of questions like that about 6 months before you buy the unit!

Have you really no idea of your operating costs? Both fixed & variable.

If you can £2.20 a mile let me know how please.

The £1.35 a mile you’ve been offered is probably about the best around at present.

Work on 7 mpg, it might do a bit more.

Mmmmmmmm, wind up me thinks .

Honest 100% advice comin yr way extreme cliff. Go buy yr self a tin hat!

Comin on here askin question like that is like walking into the lions enclosure with sirloin steaks wrapped around your body? aJust a few questions on my mind.

Have driven a lorry before?
Did you ever fill it up with fuel?
Have you ever read the truck press?
Did nobody suggest that now wasn’t a great time to start?
What rotten basket took your money sold you a truck?

I hope this is a wind up.
If not, i wish you luck.

I’m not being negative or knocking you, i just think you’ve set yr self up for a fall. The way things are going, if the truck is paid for you’d be as well off not starting the engine.

You’ve certainly made an impact askin questions like that.

sorry guys, i understand i sound a bit inexpreinced but life is to hard dose not matter where you go or what you do.

any industry is the same but you can not sit and do nothing, i got to try my best, if i fail i wont regreat at least i have tried what i had thought was right.

if i said i can work day, night and weekend i didnt mean 24/7, cuz i am single i can stay out for weekend, but i know i have to rest daily and weekly, i have national/international cpc.

but when it comes to expreince i have to do it for real and i know it is hard and i am prepared for it.

i wont be put off easily i have to say, my background is removal and it is dead at the moment, but the money is rather good, if there is a market for it i will do it again.

but i think i am strong enough to listen and not scared of things

Bo Locks springs to mind

Right I edited this post as you hit the send key the same time as me. If you really want to do it get your fact right and know your costs or else you will be a dead duck.

Hours are limited by the WTD and driver regs if you can’t make it pay within the law then don’t do it.

Being an O/D is bloody hard. “oh yes but the reward of working for yourself” don’t believe it it matters a gnats bottom when you can’t pay for diesel and the trucks ill and the rent man is at your door. Yes you can make it pay and some do and good on them but they have contacts and years in the game and more importantly a differentiator to jo smo wanting to be an O/D.

You say you are in the removal game then why not try and pick up on international removals, there is quite a bit about with the credit crunch etc.

Haul containers by all means, but know your costs otherwise you might as well haul fresh air and leave the unit parked up you will be richer for it.

Extreme cliff,

forgot to add but there are agencies out there and firms that will gladly take you on and ■■■■ you for every penny you have. The more inexperienced you are the more they do it.

I don’t want to put you off just open your eyes been there done that and still doing it. The O/D world is very tough requires capital and a good year can become a bad year with one unpaid contract, shock horror O/D’s have little comeback and if we do your rarely get the full amount that is owed add that to legal fee’s etc. and hence why most don’t even bother chasing the smaller debts.

Long on the chat room tomorrow night about 10 ish and I am sure you will benefit from both the positive and the negative sides of going it alone

thanks N2N transport u’ve been a great help so far, i know it is hard and i hope i can make living.

but do u have an idea about connect logstic in hitcham and Maritime?!

trucknetuk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic. … f5c94fb852

That should answer one of yr questions, APPARENTLY!

MR VAIN:
That should answer one of yr questions, APPARENTLY!

Oh god please not again :open_mouth: :laughing:

Do people really walk into dealers & buy lorries like this, well they didn’t when I was selling them that’s for sure!

I’m sorry but there is only one word for somebody who has no idea of his running costs & that is STUPID, sorry if that offends you but I really dont care, people like you are the cause of bad rates, that ridiculous statement about you got to start somewhere, yeah you’re right you have, you could start with thinking it through mate, if this is a wind up then grow up, if it isn’t then have fun earning 2.20 a mile, I bet that’s one cheque that will never hit your doormat.
Oh & BTW experienced has 4 e’s.

Good job I haven’t had a couple of pints of Stella or I’d be taking you outside mate :imp:

extreme_cliff:

You should have done that before starting up as an OD.

extreme_cliff:
can anybody tell me how much deisel would a 12.5 liter engine would burn per mile and on avreage how much i should charge a customer per mile e.g £2.20 per mile?

Have you ever driven a lorry? Surely you should know by now? You’ve got a CPC and part of passing that CPC involves working out rates so you know how to work them out don’t you?

extreme_cliff:
i got someone who pay £400 from Erith to hexam in north and £450 from there to Erith in kent again (315 miles one way), i wonder how much fuel i would burn or if the job worth it? any idea…

You’re the one with the CPC, you should be able to work it out yourself.

Jesus H Christ. Do you honestly think fuel is your only cost? What about covering the tyres, the servicing, the road tax, the office, the phone, the insurance and all the other annual costs you have to pay in your rates?

Here’s a bit of advice. SELL THE TRUCK. You’re about the most unsuited person to be an OD I’ve come across.

newmercman:
Do people really walk into dealers & buy lorries like this, well they didn’t when I was selling them that’s for sure!

APPARENTLY

Good job I haven’t had a couple of pints of Stella or I’d be taking you outside mate :imp:

I thought you’d never ask sweetie. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

MR VAIN:

newmercman:

APPARENTLY

I thought you’d never ask sweetie. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Apparently you better get your coat coz you’ve pulled, I must warn you that I’m a giver not a taker though :laughing: :laughing:

newmercman:

MR VAIN:

newmercman:

APPARENTLY

Apparently you better get your coat coz you’ve pulled, I must warn you that I’m a giver not a taker though :laughing: :laughing:

APPARENTLY, i’m at the same location as you, the wrong place at the wrong time! :laughing: :laughing: