New owner driver!

This HAS to be a wind up
Surely no one would buy a truck without doing their homework

April 1st already? I think you need to check the date you’re a bit early :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: nonetheless a good laugh!

Tiger.

its not nessaceralry a wind up he may have worked out what he will get from the truck and maybe just want some clarification.

WTD wont affect him until next year

how most people on here who are owner drivers themselves can just have a go at someone for simply asking a question is beyond me

no it isnt a great time to start as an OD. i think what he really mean was does anyone on here have a cf 6x2 with a 12.5 litre engine and what do they actually get mpg wise out of it . it would help may be if hed put the bhp of the truck as then someone could give him a better idea

it your on contatiners ttry to stear clear of 20footers as they will make you truck much more than usual
as said work on 7mpg asa bench mark

thanks alix776, i think you are the only one got my point.

i know as an owner driver i have to pay insurance, tyers, services and so on, but i do a bit of advertising as well and i wanted to find out how much is running cost a daf cf 85 with 430bhp.

fuel is one of the factor to calculate cost and quote to a customer.

i was running 7.5 ton and then moved to 44 ton i know it is not easy but i want to give it a go.

so as you said i am trying to make it more clear for myself how much roughly is going to be pence per mile, i know it is not easy becuase diesel flactuates.

A post like this amazes me, there are a lot more costs involved than fuel and how much anyone may or may not be paid.

What about the insurances?

What about the probable 3 months until the first payment comes in?

What about the O Licence, and the 9 or 10 weeks it takes to sort?

What about the parking and maintenance agreements, premises?

I reckon that doing the job for someone else as a driver, will teach you more than buying a truck and then looking for work.

as said work on 7 mpg then add in you other costs youll be extreamly lucky to 2.20 a mile on containers it be more like 1.30

youll need to adjust the way you price jobs as pricing a removal job is totally diferent to what your going to be doing.youll need to factor your fuel and then add you other costs per job ie breackdown your fixed costs.

thanks alix :slight_smile:

I too wonder if this is a wind up, but just for one minute assuming it’s not…

extreme_cliff:
i got someone who pay £400 from Erith to hexam in north and £450 from there to Erith in kent again (315 miles one way), i wonder how much fuel i would burn or if the job worth it? any idea…

Well that’s 630 miles for £850 which works out to about £1.35/mile. There are plenty of people out there making money at that rate, but whether or not you will depends on all your other costs, how long you have to wait at each end to be tipped/loaded, etc. If you can manage that run 3 times in a week and get 7mpg you’ll be earning £2550 and using about £1200 worth of diesel, so once you’ve taken out (for example) £500 for your wages that would leave you £850 to cover all your other costs which will include at least:

Truck finance payments.
Truck servicing costs.
Truck repair costs.
Trailer hire.
Insurance (truck, PLI, GIT).
Tyres.
Parking.
and hopefully also some left over as profit!.

I think that’s probably workable but it depends entirely on what you’re commited to pay each week/month for the wagon you’ve bought and whether or not the work is consistently there at that money and of course how much profit you want to make.

Paul

lets make it clear this is not a wind up, thanks for your clarification repton.

i already asked the company pay me £550 per single run but i wonder if they agree! and this would last for 2 years they say!

at the end of the day each of us trying to get the best deal if we can.

funny enough i know someone who even can not speak english and even when he started he didnt know nothing about O liense(he asked me for sorting his O licnese) but he works for someone as an owner driver and he is earning £4000 to £4500 per week, i wanted to join them but they sadly dont need any more driver at the moment, otherwise i wouldnt be here now typing, i was on the road.

this guy i am talking about even know nothing about all these cost and per mile and so on but he is a real chanllanger and work hard and he is very courages.

but great to be here on this forum and it is helful

I wish you the best of luck mate, take no notice of these so called drivers :cry: .

If people didn’t take chances then nobody would get anywhere, if we all started off with the experience, knowledge, and forsight wouldn’t we ALL be so wonderfull.

A few people come to mind like Richard Branson, Alan Sugar, and even William Stobart who knew Jack ■■■ about haulage 25 years ago!!!
The thing is they were prepared to ‘Av ago’ and I’m sure there were people then who said ’ You muppet what are you doing’

As you have already detected listen and learn, don’t believe anything unless it’s down on paper.
As for the other drivers on here …Give the guy a break, if he fails then he fails, if he makes it you might just be knocking on his door for a job very soon!
Good luck I hope you make a good go of it.

PS Remember me when I need a Job :laughing: :laughing:

extreme_cliff:
lets make it clear this is not a wind up, thanks for your clarification repton.

i already asked the company pay me £550 per single run but i wonder if they agree! and this would last for 2 years they say!

at the end of the day each of us trying to get the best deal if we can.

funny enough i know someone who even can not speak english and even when he started he didnt know nothing about O liense(he asked me for sorting his O licnese) but he works for someone as an owner driver and he is earning £4000 to £4500 per week, i wanted to join them but they sadly dont need any more driver at the moment, otherwise i wouldnt be here now typing, i was on the road.

this guy i am talking about even know nothing about all these cost and per mile and so on but he is a real chanllanger and work hard and he is very courages.

but great to be here on this forum and it is helful

Hey up…its not Fred Kanka (lovelyperson) is it :question: :question:

no mate i am not :slight_smile:

Deepinvet:
I wish you the best of luck mate, take no notice of these so called drivers :cry: .

If people didn’t take chances then nobody would get anywhere, if we all started off with the experience, knowledge, and forsight wouldn’t we ALL be so wonderfull.

A few people come to mind like Richard Branson, Alan Sugar, and even William Stobart who knew Jack ■■■ about haulage 25 years ago!!!
The thing is they were prepared to ‘Av ago’ and I’m sure there were people then who said ’ You muppet what are you doing’

As you have already detected listen and learn, don’t believe anything unless it’s down on paper.
As for the other drivers on here …Give the guy a break, if he fails then he fails, if he makes it you might just be knocking on his door for a job very soon!
Good luck I hope you make a good go of it.

PS Remember me when I need a Job :laughing: :laughing:

Yeah cos i wouldn’t know anything and i’ve never taken a chance and of course i forgot, i’m only a so called driver! :unamused:

If this post is true, I feel sorry for you mate, but you have done it so you are going to have to live with it. I to was sucked in by bull manure when I first became an owner driver talk is cheap running a truck isn’t. The easy way to bankruptcy is to sub contract for others. Find your own work, although its not a good time to start many haulage contractors are going down, there will be opening where they have gone. I remember buying a scrap bulker saved my bacon . At the moment scrap metal is paying a high price . Scrap yards have paid me in cash from the loads that I tipped that day. Only work for the man who is paying you not some office bud on the phone, they will promise you anything to get the load moved. Every town or city has waste or scrap to be moved. Good luck you will need lots of it.

good look to u mate u gonna need it life as a od can be very tough at times u give it ur best shot :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

Aye up cliff as far as rates go the firm i work for tell me a job give me a price yes or no end of conversation beggars cant be chooses in this game but my one piece of advice to you is £500-£600 pound per day on top or dont even think about it all the best.

I just read the bit about the O/D earning 4.5k a week, is that for a single shift or is the motor working 24/7?

since i bacame a member here a few days ago, i learned quit a bit and thanks for all your comments negative and positive.

making money is not easy now a days, u must be lucky to make decent money otherwise for the rest of us is just hard work and earn peanut!

i know being an OD is not easy, but when i think if i dont do this what else i could do, i get nowhere :exclamation:

i might be the next one after northen roack and other banks to go bust :unamused:

newmercman:
I just read the bit about the O/D earning 4.5k a week, is that for a single shift or is the motor working 24/7?

I just went back to find that bit! WTF! I’m sorry but thats total holly hocks.

As Mr Vain so rightly says WTF, I think that we all know that this is just a load of bollox, these things have a theme, they all seem to be in the removals game & are making the leap up to the big stuff, we fall for it everytime, mind you it does give us a chance to vent some anger.

BTW it is possible to get 4.5k from one lorry, I used to do it in 2006, the motor did a days hire for Tesco every day Mon-Sat & went to Wales from Purfleet with a container every night Sun-Fri, it took 2 drivers to do that so a single O/D would have no chance, as it was then I never made a fortune out of it & costs have risen since.