New operator, how much to charge for container work

clarkie:
It was odd days the driver did and was cash in hand.He was`nt bother so why should i paid more if the driver was happy at this?.

so you’re cheating on tax and NI as well.

make sure you attach copies of these posts when you send your application off to leeds.
i’m sure the TC will rest easier knowing people like you are coming into transport to replace all the dodgy ones they are kicking out of the industry.

[quote=“clarkie”

I need to hire a transport manager aswell until i do and passed my CPC does anyone know and good ones out there who can help and more give advice about how to operator within the law.
Clarkie[/quote]

Transport Managers dont always hold a CPC so which do you need?

Hello i like to reply and to this lot and say after reading some of the replys if i was not the persisted type i would of giving up by now so much negaitive comes from you guys and all i wanted was some help. I DO NOT EMPLOY ANYONE NOW THIS WAS TEMP. WHILE I WAS WORKING SOMEWHERE ELSE.

Madders - Our wagon is a 1013 downrated has air over hydraulic brakes. If it did not have a handbrake cable them the shop gave me something else then when i order one.
stockpuppet - cash in hand , are you saying that you havent done a job with cash in hand. Anyway the driver sorted his own tax and insurance out. I know it is down to the employer to do this NOW as the rules have changed. Dieseldave - The driver only pick up OUR items which we had brought and bring them back to OUR yard only.(wasnt cheating any other firms for taking their jobs). There is a O licence in forced a restricted one.
Paul b - Maybe to you it be costly ,but i can afford it to be sat there. At the monent the wagon is off the road anyway i need to do some repairs and MOT yet. Bear in mind that by the time i my interim comes though it should be ready. Wagon needs re-painting anyway.
Biggusdickusgb - No i am not cheating at the time as the driver was self employed. Now it would be up to me as the rules on tax has changed. You are were allowed to pay someone upto the tax limit before tax was deducted, but this limit has changed now.
Animal - I copy this from the VOSA site from which i persume all TM`s had to have one.

Note 7: Professional Competence
Question 12:
You can demonstrate professional competence by:

• holding grandfather rights (pre 1975) certified by a Traffic Commissioner
  • holding the Certificate of Professional Competence (CPC)
  • holding a qualification recognised by the Department for Transport as equivalent to the CPC such
    as membership by examination of the Institute of Logistics or
  • employing a transport manager ™ who holds one of these qualifications.
    If you intend employing a TM give details at question 12. If you employ a TM to meet the
    professional competence requirement, he/she will be the TM for the licence.

So i wanted to hire a TM while i study and do my CPC so that i can do it myself.

I supposed most of you are self owner drivers and i came on here and you pick up some points which were not the correct way to go about things and must off ■■■■■■ some of you :open_mouth: of as you thought i was winding you up. Well i aplogise for that but i only just wanted to know : 1) some advice on were i can hire a TM from. 2) where and best placed to do my CPC. 3) the driving hours but i sorted that by searching on here and internet and now i know. 3) return loads best site or placed to find them.
No but instead people had to pick up on the small things and not answer my questions instead.(only a few did this very grateful for). I am not on here cos i know it all i am here as i would like a bit of help and advice and most of you want to bring me down like a sack of potatoes.
Last week my parnter recieve letter from VOSA giving him a sevre warning about the maintence.(I have sent these the reassuses that this would not happen again and it seems that i have manage to reasure them that it was a mistake but still no excuses for doing it). So if i have reasure VOSA then why can`t you guys give us a break as everyone is learning still in the industry.

Bye for now (i most likely get some bad feedback again after posting this.
Cheers

Thanks for all of that clarkie I wasnt tryin to pick on you just some of the points I know my TM doesnt hold his CPC but the boss does so you can have both if you wish, and yes the CPC holder does not have to work for you full time

You could go to you local VOSA test station and pick up a copy of the GV 262 (Drivers Hours and Tachograph Rules ) its free, and can easy be carried with you at all times for reference, I have 1 in my bag :wink:

Sorry but I was only tryin to help

ahhh the dreaded experts.hmm (NOT)

instead of picking fault with a post asking for help how about you know just offering the help/advice.instead of assasanating the lass ffs.

do you really think this post is legit?

Legit or not it ■■■■■■ me off some of the attitudes to peoples questions :frowning:

It was odd days the driver did and was cash in hand.

Biggusdickusgb - No i am not cheating at the time as the driver was self employed.

make your mind up.

tobytyke:
Legit or not it ■■■■■■ me off some of the attitudes to peoples questions :frowning:

that’s the trouble with asking questions Toby :wink: you don’t always get the answers you wanted :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing:

clarkie:
stockpuppet - cash in hand , are you saying that you have`nt done a job with cash in hand. Anyway the driver sorted his own tax and insurance out. I know it is down to the employer to do this NOW as the rules have changed.

Please don’t presume to know me :smiley: I earn enough without having to resort to cash in hand. Properly organised I can legally pay naff all in tax.

if you are not willing to accept help and advice then don’t ask questions. Simple really.

clarkie:
Paul b - Maybe to you it be costly ,but i can afford it to be sat there. At the monent the wagon is off the road anyway i need to do some repairs and MOT yet. Bear in mind that by the time i my interim comes though it should be ready. Wagon needs re-painting anyway.

ok, i’ll play along with it, the reason i posted that buying a wagon without an o’license could be a mistake is not wether you can afford to have the vehicle sat not earning while you get sorted or not, it’ simply because many applications are turned down, although vosa would never put anything on their website saying as much, they currently have a clear policy of reducing the amount of small operators on the road not only by revoking current licenses when ever possible but by also refusing new applications for basically any reason they can come up with at the time, i’m not saying this will be the case for you but the point is, nothing is cut n dried even if you feel that you’ve met all the criteria to be entitled to a license.
no license = no business, leaving you with a wagon you might well have already spent good money on to sell for whatever you can get on the day.
most people considering putting a wagon on the road would find out what work was available locally, what sort of money that work payed, what wagon would be required to do that work and what the cost of buying and running that wagon would be?
they’d then look into wether or not they had a chance of obtaining an o’license to run that wagon, wether their designated operating center was suitable etc etc and then wait for vosa to say yes, we can give you an interim license to get going before they spent any proper money, the reason for some peoples scepticism including mine is that you appear to have gone about it in reverse order, asking questions such as what the rates are like for a crane wagon after you’ve already bought the wagon BUT that dosn’t mean it’s not going to pan out in the long run.
can i ask what crane the wagon is fitted with as this will have a direct bearing on the work you can do and the rates you can command?

Hope am not been too picky, but am quite sure air over hydraulic brakes do not have a handbrake cable.

paul b:
do you really think this post is legit?

Quite frankly no! its either a 12 year old dyslexic dutch girl or someone 'avin a larf!!! I cant beleive the brevity of some of the answers given by members to the totally ridiculous questions posted by this ■■■■■■ :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:
Dont waste any more time on it,except for entertainent value :wink:

clarkie:
Hello all,
i am a newbie on here but been reading all the post people have put on here(espeicaly the diarys ones with pics) very good. I have a couple of questions i would like help with sorry but a long post this time,i try and make next one smaller. I need abit of help i am applying for a standard licence (my boyfriend has one but is restricted one and he has missed some inspections and that )i just had to sort that out for him and send a letter to VOSA for now before it goes to the TC so i thought i am best of applying one for my own and it is a fresh start.
The problem is i have the £7000 to put in a business account which is needed for licence but i will not have the 3 months statements needed for the TC, what could i do about this?.
I need to hire a transport manager aswell until i do and passed my CPC does anyone know and good ones out there who can help and more give advice about how to operator within the law.
I have my Class 2 licence which i passed last year and have my own wagon with twist locks. I have already been offer work to do container work and i rather do this as i see it is easier then multidrop and i dont want to work for a firm as i have done that for the pass 9 years in a office job. They mention they would pay me £90 out of the £110 for the job (£20 for them for giving me the work) i see it has a starting point, i be running from manchester to birkenhead, i am not sure how to work or price a job up like this (e.g. rate per hour or per mile). I thought with doing this i could get a back load but not sure how to go about it,any help on this how to get backloads would be helpful. The vehicle i have is a 18 tonne daf with a hiab on it so at the moment i cannot use it until licence comes though but just wondering how much it cost per mile to run.I have work out that it cost me 25p a hour this covers licence,7x inspections, 2x servicing,tax,mot,insurance and extra £200 for extras e.g tyres etc.. I dont know if this is the right way or not.
I know it has been a long post i hope you are still with me on this.
I have notice that on here people for the driving hours have done 12 hrs which is including overtime, i thought that you can only do 9 hrs and extend to 10 hrs twice a week. I do get confused over the driving hours i know that you have to have 11 hrs rest a day or is this wrong. any light on subject would be helpful too.

Hope to hear from some of you experts on here for advice.
Thanks
Clarkie

Is that you Imran :question: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

clarkie:
Hello all,
i am a newbie on here but been reading all the post people have put on here(espeicaly the diarys ones with pics) very good. I have a couple of questions i would like help with sorry but a long post this time,i try and make next one smaller. I need abit of help i am applying for a standard licence (my boyfriend has one but is restricted one and he has missed some inspections and that )i just had to sort that out for him and send a letter to VOSA for now before it goes to the TC so i thought i am best of applying one for my own and it is a fresh start.
The problem is i have the £7000 to put in a business account which is needed for licence but i will not have the 3 months statements needed for the TC, what could i do about this?.
I

have my Class 2 licence which i passed last year and have my own wagon with twist locks. I have already been offer work to do container work and i rather do this as i see it is easier then multidrop and i don`t want to work for a firm as i have done that for the pass 9 years in a office job. They mention they would pay me £90 out of the £110 for the job (£20 for them for giving me the work) i see it has a starting point, i be running from manchester to birkenhead, i am not sure how to work or price a job up like this (e.g. rate per hour or per mile). I thought with doing this i could get a back load but not sure how to go about it,any help on this how to get backloads would be helpful.

The vehicle i have is a 18 tonne daf with a hiab on it so at the moment i cannot use it until licence comes though but just wondering how much it cost per mile to run.I have work out that it cost me 25p a hour this covers licence,7x inspections, 2x servicing,tax,mot,insurance and extra £200 for extras e.g tyres etc… I don`t know if this is the right way or not.
I know it has been a long post i hope you are still with me on this.
I have notice that on here people for the driving hours have done 12 hrs which is including overtime, i thought that you can only do 9 hrs and extend to 10 hrs twice a week. I do get confused over the driving hours i know that you have to have 11 hrs rest a day or is this wrong. any light on subject would be helpful too.

Hope to hear from some of you experts on here for advice.
Thanks
Clarkie

Backloads with a container?