Operators License

Hi - can anyone help me?

I am looking into the nitty gritty of starting a transport company within the next 18 months or so (and I am aware there is a recession - so please don’t remind me :unamused: ) and I am looking into using 7.5 or 18 tonne vehicles for distribution and courier work. However, I haven’t got a suitable operating centre and around here the only suitable sites avaliable for rent are a little on the expensive side :laughing:

Is there any way that I can base my vehicles at an existing operating centre used by a going company (providing it comes within the fleet limit). Obviously they would charge for this, but would this be cheaper and easier than renting my own site. Plus, how do requirements such as CPC and managing the vehicles come into it. Could the license holder also analyse tachographs for me? Do those requirements become the responsibilty of the license holder or will it still be upon me to employ a CPC holder and manage the vehicles day to day? :blush:

I’ve just started teaching advanced driving to a CPC holder who has just been made redundant from Lafarge in Leicestershire - I wonder if he would be useful to you :question: :bulb:

If you are looking for an operating centre,. I would suggest you approach one of the other hauliers in your area, with the view of applying for a license to use their yard as your operating centre, the going rate for this is usually about £100.00 a week for your vehicle.

If you Pm me I can give you a few pointers maybe.

Dave the Renegade:
If you are looking for an operating centre,. I would suggest you approach one of the other hauliers in your area, with the view of applying for a license to use their yard as your operating centre, the going rate for this is usually about £100.00 a week for your vehicle.

:open_mouth: bloody hell is breakfast included in that? :confused:

jj72:

Dave the Renegade:

:open_mouth: bloody hell is breakfast included in that? :confused:

How much is it in your area then. One of the operators running on my CPC is paying £100.

£100 a week for one vehicle-he’s getting his leg lifted

I live in Wisbech and park in an operating centre with other owner drivers. It is alarmed and secure and I pay £100 each month. Next month there is going to be space available.

As far as the CPC holder question. I would be willing to talk about that depending on your location and if you intend running 100% legal.

PM me if you are interested

Cheers
Tony

when i used to have to pay last year it was a full secure, guard with dog setup, wash facilities, tea making room etc and i felt hard done by at £25 a week ! £100 is outrageous :open_mouth:

Dave the Renegade:

Correction to that,an operator told me he was paying £100, but checked with him, its £30 a week he is paying, but did say more when asked originally, must have been having an off day.

Hi, thanks for all of your comments and advice.

So what is the actual procedure for applying fo an Operators License? - bearing in mind that its a start up business and any expenditure must be kept to the minimum :blush: :unamused:

Fenland Trucker:
Hi, thanks for all of your comments and advice.

So what is the actual procedure for applying fo an Operators License? - bearing in mind that its a start up business and any expenditure must be kept to the minimum :blush: :unamused:

You will need a form, GV79 from Vosa, also need to provide proof of financial standing, £6,200 for 1st vehicle, be of good repute, an operating centre, a maintenance contract, a CPC holder. And finally a lot of work at good rates and plenty of luck. :unamused: :unamused: :smiley:

find a suitable operating centre, get a letter from the owner of the OC stating that you can park X amout of trucks and X amount of trailers there and from a specific date

provide copy of your CPC, if you do not have one, you can employ a CPC holder as transport mananger, send copy of their CPC

place an advert in the local paper that covers the area where you want your OC to be, the paper must be one where the Council advertise Public Notices in

get either a service contract or a Letter of Intent from a garage/workshop who will be doing the servicing/inspections/maintainance of your trucks/trailers, or state that you will be doing it yourself

fill out the correct O Licence application form

provide evidence of financial standing, £6200 for the first vehicle, £3400 for every additional vehicle, this sum does not have to be cash in the bank, it can be an overdraft facility, the unused part of a credit card limit or cash

send all the above to VOSA

the only expense at this stage is the advert in the paper

and that is quite an expense for a few words in a local ppaper if i remember right

ggranville :smiley: :laughing:

sorry, seemed funnier to leave my spelling mistake than edit it out :wink:

chaversdad:
and that is quite an expense for a few words in a local ppaper if i remember right

ggranville :smiley: :laughing:

sorry, seemed funnier to leave my spelling mistake than edit it out :wink:

IIRC, it cost me £165 for the last advert which was an alteration to my existing licence :smiling_imp:

it is the same price for any advert in the Public notices section, but different newspapers have different prices

just checked mine for a change of operating centre, it was 225 quid :open_mouth:

Im about to apply for an O- Licence,( see my new post on Grab lorrys) all i need to is to find a suitable operating centre, hmm!

Ive not bought the lorry yet but can you tell me can i apply for an o- licence even though ive got no number plate yet to write on the o- licence form??

Also can anyone elaborate on the money needed in the bank to satisfy o-licence requirements, how do you go on, just say you need £6k ,cant see a lot of people having 6p laying around nowadays let alone 6k. Does the 6k have to be in one account or can it be spread around different accounts ,ie Building Soc.Cards etc. Do you have to show that there has been 6k floating around in varoius accounts for say months before the o-licence application goes in ? or are they just interested whats in the accounts as at application date?

Also can anyone tell me if i run a grab lorry does it have to be ran on Standard UK O-licence or can i get away with restricted?? At first it would be running our own muck from our own jobs but of course we would at sometime be running other peoples muck at some stage.

Thanks lads.

This is all new to me ,bear with me! Tell you what we getaway with murder running plant! :unamused:

Tricky Dicky . Cambs UK

Tricky Dicky:
Ive not bought the lorry yet but can you tell me can i apply for an o- licence even though ive got no number plate yet to write on the o- licence form??

Yes

Also can anyone elaborate on the money needed in the bank to satisfy o-licence requirements, how do you go on, just say you need £6k ,cant see a lot of people having 6p laying around nowadays let alone 6k. Does the 6k have to be in one account or can it be spread around different accounts ,ie Building Soc.Cards etc. Do you have to show that there has been 6k floating around in varoius accounts for say months before the o-licence application goes in ? or are they just interested whats in the accounts as at application date?

technically its over the life of the licence :wink: however for an new application they often ask for 3 months statements ( or 6 months if they have doubts :wink: )

The money doesn’t need to actually be in the bank, it can be a loan that’s available but not used (either a bank loan or a Credit card )

the actual amount needed is €9000 , it’s supposed to use the rate on October 1st each year but I’ve not heard of the amount being changed !!

Tricky Dicky:
Im about to apply for an O- Licence,( see my new post on Grab lorrys) all i need to is to find a suitable operating centre, hmm!

Also can anyone tell me if i run a grab lorry does it have to be ran on Standard UK O-licence or can i get away with restricted?? At first it would be running our own muck from our own jobs but of course we would at sometime be running other peoples muck at some stage.

Thanks lads.

This is all new to me ,bear with me! Tell you what we getaway with murder running plant! :unamused:

Tricky Dicky . Cambs UK

If you are going to be running other peoples muck around, you will need a standard national license.
You won’t get away with murder running a lorry. Vosa will see to that.

Question re O licence.

It looks like i might need to run 2x 7.5 tonners carrying our own gear about so in theory they could run on restricted o licence .

Also need to run a 26 tonner on standard o licence all of these 3 from the same operating centre.

As ive been told you cant pick n mix your olicence so therefore i will have to run all three vehicles on Standard o licence but i cant get my head round paying a transport manager to run all three especailly the 2 x 7.5 tonners that could have been run on restricted.

Ive just got some quotes for a transport manager to appear on my olicence bloody hell bad enough for the one lorry on standard but to have him look after 3 lorrys ,very expensive ,how the hell are we expected to make any money?

is there away around this ie; two different names on the olicence application one ofr standard and one for restricted??

Tricky Dicky

Tricky Dicky:
Question re O licence.

It looks like i might need to run 2x 7.5 tonners carrying our own gear about so in theory they could run on restricted o licence .

Also need to run a 26 tonner on standard o licence all of these 3 from the same operating centre.

As ive been told you cant pick n mix your olicence so therefore i will have to run all three vehicles on Standard o licence but i cant get my head round paying a transport manager to run all three especailly the 2 x 7.5 tonners that could have been run on restricted.

Ive just got some quotes for a transport manager to appear on my olicence bloody hell bad enough for the one lorry on standard but to have him look after 3 lorrys ,very expensive ,how the hell are we expected to make any money?

is there away around this ie; two different names on the olicence application one ofr standard and one for restricted??

Tricky Dicky

you could always take the cpc exam yourself :wink: that’s what most small hauliers do :exclamation: