New member, introduction and a question!

Hi!

Just joined up. Ive been a HGV driver since 2001 and currently drive a W reg ERF EC11 with the big cab on trunking duties operating from the Middlewich area although I live in Stoke on Trent. Hello everyone!

Ive got a question… Is there any specific law or rule that prevents HGVs parking in resedential streets overnight? When I say resedential I mean 30mph limit, houses, bunglows old people e.t.c. You get the picture.

I remember being told that there is some kind of law that prevents this but someone I know recons you can park an HGV anywhere aslong as you dont cause an obstruction and its not on double yellows. Anybody know for sure?

Just to add, its not me parking up in a housing estate, its someone a mate knows.

If its parked in a 30mph limit it should have lights on overnight. If it was a regular fixture the traffic commisioner might want to know why its not being kept at its nominated operating centre?

Hi Lankytim.
I would agree with Mike_C about lights.But rather than leave side lights on all night,get some clips & wire up a 12V 5A white front & a 12V5A red rear for the offside?Less juice from batteries!
The Operating centre question should not be a problem,as you’re not at base.
Cannot you just park at the lorrypark in Stoke?Or have the brains of Britain closed that one as well?Been years since I’ve been there,wet but OK.Good pub next to it.

Depends on the council I believe too, certain housing estates have rules on what can and can’t be parked, many have bans on caravans being kept on driveways permanently etc, so i would imagine some specifiy no large vehicles to be kept there etc…

DaveL:
Hi Lankytim.
I would agree with Mike_C about lights.
The Operating centre question should not be a problem,as you’re not at base.

Mike_C is right on both counts.

The problem from the Traffic Commissioner’s point of view is that the vehicle is being kept at an unauthorised operating centre. That’s a very clear breach of the conditions attached to an “O” licence. IMHO, the least the boss could expect, if called to an enquiry, is a warning that the practice must end. That would be on a good day :wink: If you can get Commercial Motor where you live, you’ll see people are often tackled for unauthorised operating centres.

Thanks for all the replies guys!

I realised that the O licence would be a problem as its not an authorised operating base- what is though? Many truckers only take their lorries back to base on weekends and tramp it out all week, theyre away from their operating base.

I read up and found a few local council pages that mentioned overnight lorry bans and someone I work with told me you cant park a lorry at any time on the road in Salford except for loading! Looks like theres no specific law thats prevents it then?

Just to clarify, its not me parking on a housing estate its someone else. Its an achedemc question anyway as the lorry in question has been told to park elsewhere by police. Nobody knows what law or rule the police used though.

Ive lived in Stoke a couple of years now and I wasnt aware of any lorry park here! Lorries park in the A500 laybys and get their curtains slashed or go to the new Crewe lorrypark.

Thanks again for all the replies!

I used to park my unit in the driveway, only the odd night though. Nobody ever complained, in fact my neighbours were pretty much impressed and would ask when I’m bringing it home :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Fastrantiger:
I used to park my unit in the driveway, only the odd night though. Nobody ever complained, in fact my neighbours were pretty much impressed and would ask when I’m bringing it home :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

They were probably wanting to nick yer diesel ! :laughing: :laughing:

thecoder0:

Fastrantiger:

They were probably wanting to nick yer diesel ! :laughing: :laughing:

Funny you should mention that… wasn’t the neighbours though :wink: