Parliamentary response letter

Hi Folks. Reply from Parliament re the HGV parking problems in this country. Hope it makes it on the forum. I’m a technophobe! (Thick pillock!)

Department for Transport
Great Minster House
33 Horseferry Road
London
SW1P 4DR
Tel: 0300 330 3000
Fax: 020 7944 9643

Web Site: www.dft.gov.uk

Our Ref: 27275
Your Ref:

8 February 2012

Dear Mr Walker

HGV parking facilities

Thank you for your e-mail of 7 January. I have been asked to reply.

I do appreciate your concerns but we have no powers to instruct operators to reduce their charges for overnight parking, nor do we have powers to instruct hauliers to pay for overnight parking. It is longstanding Government policy that the provision of secure lorry parking facilities is a matter for the private sector and local authorities who are best placed to judge local conditions and needs. However, DfT is having discussions with local authorities, developers and the industry to explore what can be done to improve lorry parking and disseminate best practice.

In November we published the report of a study by consultants AECOM. It details the provision and use of lorry parking facilities in England and the extent of inappropriate parking in lay-bys and industrial estates. It also compares the situation in neighbouring authorities, thus illustrating possibilities for co-operation in providing parking facilities and enforcing restrictions. It should be of use to both local authorities and developers.

Ministers have also announced a change in policy to permit the development of truck stops on the motorway network.

I am sorry that I cannot be more helpful.

Yours sincerely

David Pope

Yes!!!

Sums it all up in the last line:

Ken.

Quinny:
Sums it all up in the last line:

Ken.

R.I.P

Well done Bigvern you wrote and they replied.Well done.

So congrats or you taking the ■■■■? Either way…Thanks. :wink:

I don’t take the michael indeed I think perhaps your next move could be the European Court of Human Rights.If this bunch of dipsticks can’t throw out a potential terrorist because of the Courts ruling perhaps the Court would find the Government unable to enforce drivers hour regulations because of their failure to supply proper places of rest.Just a thought.Might force them to start laying tarmac for parking.

Can’t do it on my own people!

bigvern1:
Can’t do it on my own people!

Sure you got plenty of people on here who will back you up :wink:

When push comes to shove…I have more that don’t like me, than would help me!

Even though it will benefit the drivers on here? :confused:

I think there is an e-petition that isn’t doing too well.

Well I know there was a fair few who had signed it when I had signed. You got to think, not all people are always on, some on here might even just be registered but hardly come on

I signed…But there’s the problem. People here simply WON’T back up what they say. I dunno what do do to get to a higher office. What more can I do? :confused:

If I may suggest…you could send a letter to your MP explaining in simple terms how you are finding it extremely difficult to comply with the laws requirements on drivers hours,how it is extremely stressful daily finding somewhere to park to comply with the law,laws enacted by Government but a Government not actually responsible for any parking within the UK.Could you please advise me on the procedure to take this Government to the Court of Human Rights in Strasburg.Now you won’t be doing anything but if your MP is Labour he might be extremely helpful and if a Con.he’ll probably think OH!■■■■.Keep it very short,send it off and see what happens.

I already did that…That’s why they replied. I feel like it’s head against the wall time. :unamused:

I think the reply contains the obvious…and this:

“Ministers have also announced a change in policy to permit the development of truck stops on the motorway network”.

is quite positive.

There are several places where services were planned but never built, but the ramps are in place.
Possibly a relatively cheap way of building truck stops.
All that’s needed is tarmac and a toilet/shower block.

We don’t even need a shower block. Look at all the rest areas in France. Pristine, excellent surfaces. Ok, there is the odd one that is a bit below par. But it can’t be that difficult to knock them up.
And they’re free to use. Why the fork do we have to suffer anymore? We need to look at US and stop blaming the rest of the world. They don’t do it over there. They don’t do it over here. It’s Brits that wreck ours. Not necessarily drivers. But Brits.

Well write again and enclose what your MP has sent you back,stating you find the response wholely inadequate,could you please assist with advise in approaching the European Court of Human Rights.You won’t get anywhere we know that but it gives you something to amuse yourself.And with your permission in a week or two I will endeavour to complie something for CM using your latest reply and I will just happen to mention going to the ECofHR.
I also received a reply from an MP this week regarding this extra metre or two length seems our Minister of Transport Dog Bowl Penning was more concerned with the interests of manufacturers[all foreign] than operators and drivers all British regarding an increase to the front of our vehicles.Can you imagine what an extra metre to the front would have done to the new Actros,killed it stone dead…makes you think eh!.All good fun.

I’ll see what I can come up with over the weekend. I’m going sleepy byes. Hard work this thinking malarky! :wink:

With respect to the poster, the European Court of Human Rights is not necessarily the most appropriate
target authority.
They have proven to be seriously flawed in rulings affecting Brits recently.
IMHO, ECHR should be abolished, period.

In any case,I don’t think having more truck stops is a “human right”. That rather belittles the phrase.