New Draft WTD for road transport issued today

Coffeeholic:
As for the new drivers hours regulations and having to take a break after 3 hours very few drivers I know drive for the full 4.5 then take a break, most would have a break after 2.5 - 3 hours then another at the 4.5 hours mark so I don’t see that causing a lot of problems either.

It’ll cause our trunkers a load of problems :frowning:

Our run to the hub takes around 3 hours 20 minutes. If we now have to stop for an extra 30 minutes each way it will add an hour to our working day. As it is I get to the hub at about 9 p.m., and leave at anything up to 2 a.m. In between I may supervise loading or check my manifest, but most of that time is not working time. In fact I could sleep for at least 2 hours every night.

Anyone doing a regular journey of over 3 hours will be affected, and times increased for all of these trips.

A clue is in the name I suppose, as the Working Time Directive :bulb: although the rules that we shall be under is the Road Transport Directive, so I honestly dont see a problem with people losing out on hours and losing money. unless you drive maximum hours every day like 4 x 9 and 2 x 10 although you are already limited on the second week if you do this.

Even on long distance transport I doubt if you are going to do those sort of hours without either been sat waiting to load or waiting for ferries etc which wont count.

We already run on the WTD and it doesnt affect me and the French are running on 37 hours in most jobs

I thought I read that the new drivers regs were going to bring in a minimum 1 hour break after 4 hours instead of 45 minutes after 4.5 hours.

gardun:
Our run to the hub takes around 3 hours 20 minutes. If we now have to stop for an extra 30 minutes each way it will add an hour to our working day. As it is I get to the hub at about 9 p.m., and leave at anything up to 2 a.m. In between I may supervise loading or check my manifest, but most of that time is not working time. In fact I could sleep for at least 2 hours every night.

Anyone doing a regular journey of over 3 hours will be affected, and times increased for all of these trips.

You wouldn’t be able to do this run legally anyway

your run starts at 17:40 - 3.20 hrs later you arrive at hub
you then leave at 02:00 - 3.20 hrs later you arrive at your yard at 05:20

so start 17:40 finish 05:20 = 11.40 hrs

anytime worked between 00:00 & 04:00 is counted as a night shift and the maximum hrs for a night shift is 10hrs

to stay legal you would have to leave the hub at 00:20 at the latest

maybe im behind the times but didnt i see something on the news aprox 7 weeks ago that we got an opt out and the 48 hr working week would only be brought in if the company or workforce wanted it or did i pick it up wrong.

As it stands at the moment, and it is unlikely to change, there is no opt out.

Am I missing something, or am I reading this right ?.
We are all going to have to abide by the same set of rules, correct ?.
No more continuous driving on PSV domestic rules for up to 8.5 hours, if 45 min of non driving time is taken. No more hours exemptions for certain types of work. No more one set of rules for domestic regs drivers, its one set of regs for all correct ?.

TC:
It all depends! IMHO

If we want it to come in …it wont!
If we dont want it…it will!

In that case, I’d love it to come in!! :wink: :smiley:

so what was the news on about that day im sure it mentiond an opt out a few people were talking about it at work :confused:

charlesscania:
so what was the news on about that day im sure it mentiond an opt out a few people were talking about it at work :confused:

The original WTD was based over a 17 week period, the opt out your reffering to is to opt out of the 17 week period and make it a 26 week period, but, the workforce has to agree to that, the management cant just decide it.

Another option given is whether to make it a Fixed 26 week period or a rolling 26 week period, so in effect, once the 26 weeks has been reached you must fall into the maximum 48hr bracket then A) Start afresh for another 26 weeks or B) each week beyond the 26 weeks will have to be 48 hrs or under.

Davey, I use your drivers hours guard & it means I have forgoten how to think thanks to you, so you will have to make a WTD hours guard so I cn stay legal…
If you don’t I will have to build one myself :wink:
anyone got any glue, nails, some beads and a plank of wood :open_mouth:

I’m currently talking to our software writer to see if he can incorporate the WTD into the timer at a reasonable cost, using the current software.

Fingers crossed he might be able to, but the last quote I got was £18k for a full re-write :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Davey Driver:
I’m currently talking to our software writer to see if he can incorporate the WTD into the timer at a reasonable cost, using the current software.

Fingers crossed he might be able to, but the last quote I got was £18k for a full re-write :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Blimey Davey, I was only joking, but if you sort it out put my name on the top of the list for one…
Or I will trial one for your R&D section at no cost to you :wink: :wink:

Our own Krankee has now arranged this post into a easy format, so us brainless ones can sort of understand it…

Please remember that you must be a member to be able to read this post
Membership is free! :smiley:

trucknetuk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=7136

Davey, what is the code written in, and do you have copyright to the original code?