Road Transport Directive (WTD)

Good Evening Chaps,

I would be very grateful if any of you could help me out and point me in the right direction.

I need to make a small presentation on the effects the Road Transport Directive has had on operations since its introduction.

By this I guess it means increased costs, labour etc because of reduced hours. Any comments would be most welcome.

Regards
Gaz

I don’t think it has made one bit of difference for drivers.

It would have done if it had been 48 hours of SHIFT time and not as it is - 48 hours of WORK time

benamy356:
Good Evening Chaps,

I would be very grateful if any of you could help me out and point me in the right direction.

I need to make a small presentation on the effects the Road Transport Directive has had on operations since its introduction.

By this I guess it means increased costs, labour etc because of reduced hours. Any comments would be most welcome.

Regards
Gaz

You need to do a search on these forums for a member called Fuse. He has the WTD and RTD down to a T.

“Drink” :stuck_out_tongue:

In my opinion the RTD has made absolutely no difference, drivers are still working for 70 hours per week to take a living wage home. The Unions, Transport Associations and large companies pushed forward this Period of Availability idea which means they can still dictate the working hours. The drivers are not been checked at the roadside because it is not possible to do so. The companies are getting away with prosecutions because the authorities do not have the resources or will to put large companies out of business.

EC Directive 561/2006 has been in force since 11th April 2007 and is more than sufficient to ensure drivers are rested, and not put under undue pressure, in fact the two EC regulations running in conjunction cause more headaches than they relieve.

EC Directive 2002/15 is here.

POA, don’t make me laugh :unamused:

benamy356:
Good Evening Chaps,

Regards
Gaz

Looks like you presentation will be going in the other direction - How the RT(WTD)R has NOT had the effect it was intended to have !!

I do believe the RT(WTD)R was supposed to reduce the amount of hours (shift time) for mobile workers but it’s my personal belief that the powers-that-be suddenly woke up to the fact that wages would need to rise significantly for drivers so they would stay in the job and would mean taking on extra drivers to fill the voids therefore making the whole thing too costly for employers especially in the UK

I cannot see any other reason why something that was originally brought in to reduce the hours would then have the likes of breaks and POA not counted as part of that time…

My guess is that it’s a political thing - looks good on paper but actually changes nothing

Thanks Wheelnut/RDG

I have read your replies and think I need to look at this from both sides comments much appreciated

Regards

Gaz

benamy356:
Thanks Wheelnut/RDG

I have read your replies and think I need to look at this from both sides comments much appreciated

Regards

Gaz

Who is saying that it has had the opposite effect to us ?

I disagree to some extent with the previous comments, the WTD for mobile workers has left us working to two sets of regulations instead of one.
We regularly see posts on these forums from drivers trying to understand both sets of regulations and often not finding it an easy task, it’s been said that the WTD is not regulated at the road-side and therefore can be ignored however the authorities have the right to check a companies records and take action if offences are found.

As has already been said the Drivers hours and tachograph regulations already require us to have enough rest to remain safe on the roads so why should we be subject to more regulations that if allowed would further limit the earning capability of a group of already hard pressed workers.

I can’t speak as an employer but I know that some companies do abide by the WTD for mobile workers and it must surely cost them dear, for instance when a driver is forced to take time off work to keep the average working time down to 48 hours per week an agency driver will often be paid to cover for the absent driver.

Look at the night time worker rules or the 48 average week, how many other industries are compulsorily regulated in this manner … very few I think you’ll find.

In my opinion as a driver the WTD for mobile workers is an unnecessary abomination that does nothing for the transport industry except cost money to operate a set of regulations that everyone knows is, in the great scheme of things unenforceable.

ROG:
I don’t think it has made one bit of difference for drivers.
It would have done if it had been 48 hours of SHIFT time and not as it is - 48 hours of WORK time

You’re absolutely right it would have made more difference if we were restricted to 48 hours of shift time.
It would further increase the running costs for employers and further limit the earning capability of drivers and all for a set of regulations that are basically unenforceable.

Is that really the difference we need ?

benamy356:
because of reduced hours. Any comments would be most welcome. Regards Gaz

What reduced hours? Our company gave a few drivers two days off in the first year (which no where near covers it) but then realised no-one was looking! Back to normal then… They will always find ways around it.

tachograph:
I can’t speak as an employer but I know that some companies do abide by the WTD for mobile workers and it must surely cost them dear, for instance when a driver is forced to take time off work to keep the average working time down to 48 hours per week an agency driver will often be paid to cover for the absent driver.

I’ve personally never heard of or met anyone who has been forced to take time off due to the WTD. Do you know many?

Mike-C:

tachograph:

I’ve personally never heard of or met anyone who has been forced to take time off due to the WTD. Do you know many?

Yes at Halfords on occasions amongst others, though to be fair most places seem to work the hours out so the driver does not need to take time off.