new digi tacho

Got asked the other day ,did I want to buy a new didi tacho it records drive time more accurate and I could expect to drive half an hour a day extra, forgive me but as the one in the truck which is only 3years old should they not give me this new tacho as the old one is not accurate f… me all they want is a hooped jumper and a mask.

fuse:
Got asked the other day ,did I want to buy a new didi tacho it records drive time more accurate and I could expect to drive half an hour a day extra, forgive me but as the one in the truck which is only 3years old should they not give me this new tacho as the old one is not accurate f… me all they want is a hooped jumper and a mask.

If it’s only 3 yrs old shouldn’t it already be fitted with a digi tacho?

Ross.

mine is a stonebridge on a 56 reg scania.

going from top carpark to good inward then into warehouse and out again adds on 22 minutes when in fact it should add on about 10… bloody thing. :imp:

received an email today from DAF regarding Digi Tachos

Replace your digital tachograph and drive up to 45 minutes extra each day!

The new Stoneridge SE5000 Exakt measures drivers’ hours in line with new legislation

Measuring every working minute could deliver up to an extra 45 minutes driving per driver, per day

Faster downloading and processing times, plus many other operational benefits

they of course would like to relieve you of £499+ VAT for the privilege :imp:

There’s a chap I know who has had the analogue tacho in his 55 plate truck replaced by one of the new digis and reckons it’s a no brainer, especially for the owner driver where every minute counts.

As they record whatever has been the greatest part of each minute apparently they allow you to move around quite a lot whilst on break without it recording it. For example if you start driving at 35 seconds into one minute and stop 25 seconds into the next minute you have driven for 50 seconds but apparently it will still record break for both of those minutes as each one has 35 seconds of break in it but only 25 seconds of driving. This allows you, should you wish to be a naughty boy, to stay on break whilst reversing onto a bay or pulling on/off of a weighbridge and often get a 45 in at times when with an analogue or older digi you couldn’t manage it.

Paul

They definitely make sense to replace the original digi tachos but not too sure about replacing an analogue with one. I’m sure VOSA will have some way of telling if the new style tacho has been driven for a 23 second period whilst on break. Basically it gives people the opportunity to have their break while manouvering round yards etc so long as they don’t use more than half a minute as driving time. You can ‘cheat’ the existing tachos and move on break if you just edge it forward half a yard at a time but wouldn’t make a habit of it.

One of our drivers was told by an Agribulk driver that on a full circuit of the ■■■■ crushing plant at Erith he was saving 35 minutes driving PER LOAD in comparison to his old style tacho. Base this on 3 loads per day(if you’re lucky!!!) over say 10 wagons and that is a hell of a lot of time in todays climate.

My argument is when I bought the new truck 3 years ago the digi tacho did not record drive time correctly so in my humble opinion they should now fit the new one that in their own words records correct…if you buy a pint you should get a pint when the tax man ask you for 6 grand you give him 6 grand ,they are a BUNCH OF ROUGES

Fumble about with the head somehow and short the thing out and CLAIM it under WARRANTY.

fuse:
My argument is when I bought the new truck 3 years ago the digi tacho did not record drive time correctly so in my humble opinion they should now fit the new one that in their own words records correct…if you buy a pint you should get a pint when the tax man ask you for 6 grand you give him 6 grand ,they are a BUNCH OF ROUGES

Your ‘old’ tacho is recording as per the legislation as it was then. legislation has now changed and the tacho’s have changed with it.

However - the tacho you currently have will record whatever mode you select. So if you stop and immediatly press the mode switch, that’s the mode it will record for the whole time. So stopping less than 2 minutes currently records that time as drive - unless you press the mode in which case it doesn’t (or shouldn’t)

The new legislation is far more user friendly though - but from what I am reading on here i don’t think that’s how they intended the new rules to be used :grimacing:

pete