My planner told me it was quicker than my SAT-NAV

The BBC; Bridge bashers club.Members only need apply.

That’s the second bridge they have tried to deliver recently.

Looks like a bloody strong trailer, doesnt look damaged on the pic, I think it caused more damage to the chassis of the scrapia

(Driver on the phone in the pic - pointing out to the police officer that it was only this high when he left with it :smiley: )

It doesn’t surprise me at all,the number of drivers that ask me ( as if I know them off by heart) the height of a trailer beggars belief,then when you tell them the height there normal response is it doesn’t look that high :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: or are you sure of that,I thought all the trailers were the same height in here,will it go under x,y,z bridge .
I had a double decker the other week with the height indicator set too 13 3 :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :unamused: ,now driver may of known the height of tri but couldn’t be bothered too alter it,I don’t know but even so it worrying.
Then you have the drivers who take the over height vehicle route into a destination because there not sure if the trailer will fit under low bridge or not( at least I guess there using a bit of common senseand won’t hit anything) ,but still it can be miles out of the way which costs ££££££££ in fuel.
I often say let’s go and measure the height ,tape measure out,to be met with :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :confused: ,then after it’s normally that’s a good idea I’ll get a tape measure.
You can’t pin it on agency drivers,company drivers,young drivers,old drivers etc,it just seems to be a awl full lot of drivers who just seem to chance it,guess it when it comes too the height of the vehicle there driving.
I’m actually surprised there’s not more bridge strikes

What happened to the good old fashioned if your really unsure…slow down/stop and check!
I slow down, even if I’ve been under the same bridge before, saying that I slow and check at green light railway crossings. :unamused:

I could be wrong here but aren’t the trailer heights written on the front of the trailer? For the mathematically challenged you can purchase a metal tape measure for around £10. Anyone that gets in a cab & believes the height indicator without checking deserves all they get.

You can’t rely on the trailer height painted on, because 5th wheel heights can vary.

It puzzles me why it is not mandatory to paint the height of the trailer from floor to roof on the front. It would then be easy to measure up from the ground once you are hitched. Trying to measure a 14’ 6" trailer, with a flexi tape measure, on a breezy day, can be very difficult.

They normally say something like 4.8m bases on a 1.25m 5th wheel.

So if you measure floor to rubbing plate as 1.35m, OAH will be 4.9m. That said, I always check with a tape!

I carry a tape measure in my bag to avoid situations like this, luckily our trailers are all 13’9" when hooked up, if Inner had to pull anything different though or if it didn’t look right I’d check again, I also slow right down when it’s close to the limit.

Slackbladder:
I could be wrong here but aren’t the trailer heights written on the front of the trailer? For the mathematically challenged you can purchase a metal tape measure for around £10. Anyone that gets in a cab & believes the height indicator without checking deserves all they get.

True, though they also state underneath “Based on a 5th wheel height of 1250mm” …

Ask at the transport office what the height of the 5th wheel on your tractor usually is and all you are greeted with is a roomful of blank faces. Hardly inspiring :grimacing:

Maybe I am wrong but I can recall the EU transport department attempting to impose a height limit on trailers in Europe to help stop this type of accident happening only to be met with howls of protest from British operators ?.

That picture has been posted a few times!

Cruise Control:

The picture is that old they sold that truck 3 years ago. :unamused:

jessicas dad:

Cruise Control:

The picture is that old they sold that truck 3 years ago. :unamused:

Chassis wouldn’t have been the straightest when they sold that though :slight_smile: