Oops!

expressandstar.com/2008/04/1 … am-delays/

Wasnt one of you guys was it ? :slight_smile:

cant tell if its a foreign truck easily from the picture :S

:open_mouth: Send the driver the Bill, NO Excuses for hitting a bridge…Ever :exclamation:

Was he the Sat Nav Agency numptie in another thread who bashed a bridge half an hour after leaving the yard?

something i’ve always wondered but never been brave enough to try if i’m 14’ 2 and the bridge is 14’2 will i fit under?

davedb67:
something i’ve always wondered but never been brave enough to try if i’m 14’ 2 and the bridge is 14’2 will i fit under?

The measurement is the height of the ‘clearance’, not the height of the bridge and, if what someone else posted here some years ago is true, there is also an extra couple of inches allowed for conditions of packed snow and ice.

I’ve certainly known someone (not me :smiley: ) take a 13’ 8" trailer through a bridge maked at 13’ 3". Whilst it didn’t come out unscathed, neither did it bring the vehicle to a halt (or vastly restructure the trailer). :unamused:

A few weeks ago, a driver and the yard man were umming and arring about the height of a trailer because, at the location he was attending, there was a 13’ 9" bridge.

“Have you measured it?” I asked, referring to the trailer. “No tape.” Came the reply.

Digging into my trusty bag out came the knackered 3m tape that I always carry. Climb up on the catwalk and measure down from the roof to where I can trace a greasy finger, and then measure to the floor. Adding the two together gives me 166".

Yard man then pulled out of pocket a calculator and, after much finger prodding, declares, 13’ 8". :slight_smile:

Not satisfied with my measurements, and whilst I’m otherwise engaged, fresh measurement get taken. Upon retrieving my tape, I obtain the information that their assessment was also 166"

Later in the day, driving along, my mind starts recalling the 12x table…“12 feet = 144”…156"…168"…" :open_mouth:

The moral of the tale is that it is not just Sat Nav that creates errors. Whilst the technology may be sound, once placed in the hands of imbeciles (any) technology can be prone to failure.

And no, as far as I am aware, the driver didn’t strike the bridge.
:smiley:

Years ago there was a bridge in Southampton marked at 10’6’’ You could get a 13’4’’ removal lorry under quite easily without touching anything. I think there was a similar bridge in Chepstow, quite clearly wrongly marked. It just takes a little bit of common sense.

big jon wrote.
cant tell if its a foreign truck easily from the picture

its a foden.

apart from federichi i dont know many foreigners who operate them :wink: :wink: :wink:

even more so in right hand drive :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

BigJon:
cant tell if its a foreign truck easily from the picture :S

I can - it’s right hand drive - looks like a personal plate - no kerb mirror on o/s.

the missus saw that happen in her rearview mirror on her way to work so she was telling me lastnight when I got in, and on the subject of foreign trucks a french wagon reversed into and then carried on over a lampost by the sliproad for the A38(M) on tyburn road yesterday , saw it as I drove past on my way home

Tobyjug:
Years ago there was a bridge in Southampton marked at 10’6’’ You could get a 13’4’’ removal lorry under quite easily without touching anything. I think there was a similar bridge in Chepstow, quite clearly wrongly marked. It just takes a little bit of common sense.

Hi Tobyjug, WADR I’d suggest you check in the highway code about what the “10’ 6"” sign actually means. :wink:

My secret is out… :blush: Why can’t you guy’s mind your own business… :imp:

r slicker:
big jon wrote.
cant tell if its a foreign truck easily from the picture

its a foden.

apart from federichi i dont know many foreigners who operate them :wink: :wink: :wink:

even more so in right hand drive :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Definitely a Foden, it says CAT Power on the “front” mudflaps, I hope he’s got a good insurance broker!!!

Krankee:

davedb67:

The measurement is the height of the ‘clearance’, not the height of the bridge and, if what someone else posted here some years ago is true, there is also an extra couple of inches allowed for conditions of packed snow and ice.

I’ve certainly known someone (not me :smiley: ) take a 13’ 8" trailer through a bridge maked at 13’ 3". Whilst it didn’t come out unscathed, neither did it bring the vehicle to a halt (or vastly restructure the trailer). :unamused:

A few weeks ago, a driver and the yard man were umming and arring about the height of a trailer because, at the location he was attending, there was a 13’ 9" bridge.

“Have you measured it?” I asked, referring to the trailer. “No tape.” Came the reply.

Digging into my trusty bag out came the knackered 3m tape that I always carry. Climb up on the catwalk and measure down from the roof to where I can trace a greasy finger, and then measure to the floor. Adding the two together gives me 166".

Yard man then pulled out of pocket a calculator and, after much finger prodding, declares, 13’ 8". :slight_smile:

Not satisfied with my measurements, and whilst I’m otherwise engaged, fresh measurement get taken. Upon retrieving my tape, I obtain the information that their assessment was also 166"

Later in the day, driving along, my mind starts recalling the 12x table…“12 feet = 144”…156"…168"…" :open_mouth:

The moral of the tale is that it is not just Sat Nav that creates errors. Whilst the technology may be sound, once placed in the hands of imbeciles (any) technology can be prone to failure.

And no, as far as I am aware, the driver didn’t strike the bridge.
:smiley:

I’m reliably told that you can creep through the 15 footer at Matlock with a 15 foot 2 trailer. :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: Not something I would bet my next months wage on though. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Most of the time my running height is 14.6. I have on occasions successfully negotiated a 14.6 bridge, Phew… :blush:

there is a 13’6 bridge on the way into Penistone and i went under it with standard containers which gave overall height of 13’6 with no problems

There is a 10’6’’ or 10’3’’ marked bridge (cant quite remember which :blush: ) just of the A5 near Daventry that goes to Long Buckby

Bulk vehicles regularly go under this to get access to Charles Jackson grain store. the bridge is arched and even the highest cabs go through OK.

Wouldn’t like to chance it with a curtainsider though :open_mouth:

i see the container lads are losing the side down,what about that great CRAYFORD bridge/tunnel that leads to grosvoner waste.

marked as 13’3’ but it is fun getting a 14.6 hc under it.

first timers tend to ■■■■ them selfs at the sight of it.

also one in tottenham with 14.3 that will fit a HC under it :smiley:

davedb67:

Go for it. :sunglasses:

I often go under a 14’ 6" marked bridge at Sproughton with a trailer of the same height.

I have seen other drivers go through with a 14’ 6" trailer with the suspension in the raised position. This was discovered later - it wasn’t intentional. But, it would suggest there is at least a couple of inches leeway to go through with a taller trailer, on this bridge at least.

I’m not that brave myself. Too much paperwork if it goes wrong!! :smiley: :laughing: :wink:

I was told by my driving instructor when i took my test that the bridge clearance height is measured and then 6 inches are deducted from it for safety margins.
the same goes for a lorry, if measured properly, add 6 inches to the height of it when its been measured.
that would give you a margin of 12 inches - 1 foot until you would hit the bridge.

anyone else been told that theory?

Grantham…01.30am…called out as unrecoverable :open_mouth: …re-stacked the load as it was piled up at the front…removed all the loose bits,stapped up the roof and side panels…awaited the spare unit as the driver had jacked and abandoned it somewhere else…than drove back to the midlands via peterbrough(wtf!?)(as hub driver forgot the way home in my service van!)…i knew all of neighbours by the time we left at 04.45hrs… :laughing:
i’ll put a full pic on when i get chance.