My diary of disaster

thursday was my day from hell

i usually drive a battered s-reg volvo flc 7.5t which has never let me down.anyway boss says to me on wednesday your going to london on thursday doing some funiture drops ive hired you a brand new daf curtainsider to go down in as mine was in volvo for a service.i thought great :smiley: something half decent to drive for a change
it all started going wrong when another driver who was supposed to pick me up at 3.15am slept in and didnt pick me up until 3.45 am.i finally got on the road at 4.15am leaving manchester m56/m6 was preety uneventful apart from the 3rd lane being full of snow and the odd [zb] still overtaking sideways in the 3rd lane. that was until i hit the roadworks on the m6 at birmingham 3 lanes down to 1 after stoping and starting fo 30 minutes finally gets to the end of them to see 1 transit van with its orange lights going but as usual not a person in sight.
got going again all the way to toddington services on the m1 at 7.25am before i had to pull up as i was touching cloth.goes in does the buisness come and poured myself a coffee then went to start up and nothing happened all the dash light come on then it just clicked on the key.tryed it about 5 times when all off a sudden the onboard computer starts going nuts and beeping flashing up a variety of warnings about the starter/ engine managment and abs.so i phones the gaffer and he phones the hire company.1 hour later and the rac turn up :confused: thats right the rac who said the same as me why have they sent me to a truck?
so another phone call to the gaffer who again phones the hire company.a hour and a half later and daf turn up he climbs underneath and the wire had snapped on the starter.20 minutes later and its fixed and im back on the road by now its about 10.40am.i carry on down the m1 and onto the a5 into london where i hit major roadworks and it took me about 50minutes to about 1 mile through them so i got to my first drop off piccadilly about 12.20pm.the rest of my drops go fine and i got them all done and was heading out of london via the m4 at about 5.30pm as usual london traffic was murder but made my way out and up the m40 pulling in at oxford services with about 5 minutes to spare out of 10 hours driving time
i thought thank god todays over nothing can go wrong now how mistaken i was.there was about 5 lorrys queing to get into the hgv park so pulled up behind a tanker waiting for about 5 minutes suddenly his reverse light come on and his beeper starts going i slammed my hand down on the steering wheel to alert him with the horn only to find it wasnt there as it is in my wagon anyway slam straight into the front of me he goes he pulled forward and we both jump out only to find out he was a foreigner i thought great anyway checked the truck and it had just lightly scratched the bumper so just said forget it and went back in my cab.i got parked up tidyed my cab pulled the curtains and dropped the bed.i went and payed the attendent and went in the services had a wash then went to kfc.i got my food went back to the truck got my nice new 7" flatscreen tv out and plugged it in sat back started watching the bill whilst biting into a nice hot and spicy chicken wing.within seconds it wasnt only the chicken that was hot and spicy as my tv went pop and billowing out white smoke greattttttttttttttttttttttt :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: so after about 20minutes of unrepeatable words i phoned her who must be obeyed to make sure she and the kids were ok and she hadnt given birth to out latest one whilst i was at work.after the call has a â– â– â–  turned the night heater on and clicked the light off i lay there for about 10 minutes and thought mmmmmmm this night heater is far to quiet :astonished: yep you guessed it it didnt work. what a [zb] day i had

Good Read :smiley:

unlucky but dam good read sorry to hear about the miss happs if my night heater had packed up i would book myself into a hotel or phoned daf vovlo etc… need my heat

good to read that rob.

And given the new choice of a new DAF or your motor - I’d sooner have the Volvo any day of the week!

good diary rob :laughing:

So what was wrong with the TV, was it a 12 volt telly plugged into a 24 volt socket â– â– ? :smiling_imp:

Thanks for the read Rob ,you get days like that ,but not too often ,I hope.
regards derek

Nice to hear that I am not the only person who has days like that :confused:

Why is it that when one thing goes wrong, it is quickly followed by all sorts of mishaps and sods law situationsâ– â– ?

Al.

evening im just back from another 2 days in london in my trusty old volvo where a thing didnt go wrong :laughing: . as regards for my tv blowing up im not sure what went wrong it was a 12v tv the leyland daft i was in had a 12v power point in it but the connection for the tv was for a ciggie lighter so i presume they would have been the same voltage but i may be wrong.im going for my class2 soon and the boss has just replaced 3 out of our 5 class 2 truck so he said when i pass he will get me a new one which i will end up keeping for a few years and a freind of a freind of mine has a car stereo shop so hes going to come and fit my new truck out with a proper tv and things so for now ill deal with my trusty volvo and no tv

yep all 7.5t dafs at my work are 24v my mate found out when he fizzed his moby :frowning:

never ever think nothing else will go wrong because it will

Good read.