More of my travels in Canada

Here`s a few pics from my travels in December, not really got that many miles in as I’ve spent a bit of time being ar$ed about with little jobs.
Loaded in Modena Wisconsin with rubber matting for cattle sheds bound for Brandon MB, Regina SK and Lethbridge AB.

Pete`s old style & new

Ran the load back up to the yard as after the week I’d had (750 mile) there was no way I was sitting for the weekend 3hrs from home in Brandon.
Parked in the yard with the nice looking KW`s :laughing:

Leave again on Sunday afternoon to be on the doorstep for Brandon Monday morning, winter starting on the way across the Trans Canada HWY1

Once empty in Lethbridge at a nice toasty temp for flat work I make my way up to Calgary AB to load pipes for Oklahoma

Took them over 5hrs to get the pipes loaded and all for me to run it around to the Calgary yard to drop it for someone else to have a nice easy drop, swap & run :angry:

I then get myself another trailer and go to load for myself for the great run to Winnipeg MB with a load of cement 1st collection
then over to the other side of Calgary for 24 empty atv crates
By the time the cement is loaded and after the time it took to get the pipes on the atv pick up is closed :unamused:
but not to worry as dispatch tells me to collect them the next morning oh what joy that’s 2 nights in Calgary now and only 30 mile today not a happy bunny

So my Winnipeg booking has now been moved from 23.00hrs thurs to 21.00hrs fri.
Thursday morning atv crates on and we`re off , nice to get moving now after earning next to nothing since Tuesday.

Head out of Calgary and just before Strathmore AB a tyre blows on the trailer :laughing: :unamused: :laughing: :unamused: ,
so it’s on the phone to Kenworth assist and there response is just fantastic, as it only takes em 4hrs to get someone out to me :imp:

So it now Thursday 4pm and I’ve covered 170 mile since 9am Tuesday so this has not been one of the best trips I’ve had :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: , anyhow tyre changed and off to Winnipeg get it tipped a bit early and back into the yard and off home for 20.30hrs and after this week I’ll not be working this weekend after sitting about in the week thank you very much

Back in Monday morning and take a empty over to Brandon MB to switch for a pre loaded one that`ll need tarping which should be fun as its -24 in Brandon

Frozen Welsh Ninja after tarping

Finally get moving at 4.30pm after the customer didnt want the load until later in the week but they now have it sorted for Tuesday morning as first planned So it’s now off to New England North Dakota for 8am, meet the farmer and it’s off to his yard we go, soon get the sheets off (forgot to take pics with em on) and then wait while he works out just how hes going to lift the whole main part of a 39000 lb load off with his 2 ½ ton flt :laughing:

So a quick call see`s two of his mates turn up to get the job done, but as I pull from under the load one of the diggers starts to tip,
so we now have most of the load sat on the ar$e end of my trailer this is now starting to turn into another one of them days
:slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Still being farmers they`ll not be beaten so after another call digger 3 turns up

Now this stuff there lifting off is for making grain bins/silos,
now by the time the boys have wrapped that many chains around it and made a total mess of lifting it as I drive clear they go and drop it. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
Now I’d just love to see what shape this silo turns out to be

Paperwork all sorted and I am off on my way after just over 5hrs of the farmer’s comedy show and heading for a reload from Grand Forks ND for Winnipeg on Wednesday morning

Never took any pics as after tarping in -25 at 5am the last thing on my mind is to go back outside with the camera but I’ll try and remember next time.
Once tipped in Winterpeg i get a job saying to drop my flat in the Winnipeg yard and pick up a van trailer :smiley: , the excitement is soon short lived as it’s only going the 40 mile back to Steinbach yard :cry: :laughing:

Mixing it with the van boys at the Petro Pass on HWY1 dreaming of the day when I have a set of backdoors myself :grimacing:

So drop the van wed afternoon and that’s me off until Monday as the truck needs to go into the shop for a fuel leak fixed
and I have an interview at US Customs Pembina on Friday for my fast card application and my folks are arriving on Sunday from the UK to spend Christmas out here.

Back in Monday morning and I have a big push on this morning with the long haul back to Winnipeg to tip a load someone couldn`t get off on Friday,
oh and as the shop had the truck since last Wednesday and its now Monday it still has a fuel leak :laughing: .
Once empty in Winnipeg I get a job to run empty down to Thief River Falls in Minnesota to collect a load of snowmobiles for back to our yard,
nice and easy no tarping which is always a good thing

Tuesday and it’s a day on containers for me, empty down to Grandin North Dakota

I get the lovely little trailer on the bay 1st time always the case when there`s no one around bet I’d of made a right ar$e of it with a crowd

Only took 20 mins to get this lot on,
a full load of sunflower seeds bound for Rank Hovis in High Wycombe bet it takes more 20 mins to get em out again

Axles moved back and I am ready for the drive back up to CP Rail in Winnipeg to drop the box then its straight back to the yard for me as I’ve now had enough for this year with all the sitting and crap over the past few weeks so have put down for my next job to be the 4th Jan and well see how the year starts, hope it’s better
as I am after all out here for long haul and miles make money.
Oh and on the way home I get a sat message saying that they have concerns over the fuel economy of my truck,
now only being a thick driver I wonder if the fuel leak they can’t be ar$ed to fix would have anything to do with it :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Happy New Year to you all and safe driving for 2010

Excellent Pic’s and Diary Matey!! Nice and warm there i see!! :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

All the best for the New Year mate,

Wayne.

nice pics wonder if anyone on here will get that box

T-Lad:
nice pics wonder if anyone on here will get that box

I thought that myself when i got the paperwork, i know i do need to get out more :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Great diary :wink:

Its amazing how things don’t seize up in those temperatures :open_mouth:

nianiamh:
Only took 20 mins to get this lot on,
a full load of sunflower seeds bound for Rank Hovis in High Wycombe bet it takes more 20 mins to get em out again

Couple years ago I sat over six hours in a a bay waiting while couple lads unloaded that kind of a box :smiley: Luckily I was paid by the hours… :wink:

Great set of pics and diary again - thankyou - this country could learn so much from seeing these pictures also, -21 and still moving as normal, -1 here and all the schools are closed, roads are closed and the govt calls an emergency election (we wish) anyway thank you, more when you have them. :smiley:

great stuff mate, keep it coming! hope 2010 get better for you mile wise!

merc0447:
Great diary :wink:

Its amazing how things don’t seize up in those temperatures :open_mouth:

Trust me, they do… I spent most of yesterday and part of the day before with a hot air gun, space heater and a lot of swearing trying to defrost the truck after the -35 cool down on new years day.

Frozen brakes are (pardon the pun) a real bind and a common problem, the 5th wheels freeze so they won’t latch and yours truly managed to get himself frozen inside the cab last week when the doors froze shut. :grimacing: :grimacing:

But things keep rolling here, even when it gets really cold, or when there is a lot of snow, because the local depots all have ploughs so the roads are kept pretty clear. Also, because people here are used to the idea of a journey to work taking a little longer and plan accordingly.

Hey Neal, I bet you really thought you would come all this way to be a box jockey!! :laughing: :laughing:

tin hat on :grimacing:

15 yrs ago you moaned about gettin flat trailers…and still moanin about em! :wink: :laughing: hope my tautliner or van doesnt give me too much trouble tommorow!

Hahahaha! You’ve been rumbled, Neal!! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I hope my van doors are not too snow covered when I get going. The little bit of snow falling on my nice clean clothes just ruins my day!! :wink: :wink: :wink: :laughing: :smiling_imp:

Excellent diary, a bloody good read.

Can’t believe you drive on that white stuff, we all sit at home if we see any over the hedge, never mind driving on it.

Great diary. -21 !! Thats dedication, i wouldn’t/couldn’t do that !!

Mike-C:

We were more dedicated in the 1980’s.I was driving gritters that year.

www.weatheronline.co.uk/reports/philip- … d-snow.htm

Carryfast:

Mike-C:

weatheronline.co.uk/reports/ … d-snow.htm

Who’s ‘we’ ? I don’t remember having a day off in the 80’s due to snow and i was a fitter.

Mike-C:

Carryfast:

Mike-C:

Who’s ‘we’ ? I don’t remember having a day off in the 80’s due to snow and i was a fitter.

That’s what I meant.A few inches of snow and everyone gives up over here in the 21st century.We’ll see how they get on for the next couple of days because it looks a bit like a 1980’s winter (almost) is on it’s way for a day :laughing: :laughing:

Carryfast:

Mike-C:

Carryfast:

Mike-C:

That’s what I meant.A few inches of snow and everyone gives up over here in the 21st century.We’ll see how they get on for the next couple of days because it looks a bit like a 1980’s winter (almost) is on it’s way for a day :laughing: :laughing:

All the same there’s not a chance of me changing a bed sheet never mind a lorry one in -21 !!!

great diary and pics, cheers :smiley: