More bad news

Close Window

Print this page

From The TimesApril 10, 2008

Road safety at risk as foreign lorries get right to tout for business
Ben Webster, Transport Correspondent
Thousands more foreign lorries will be attracted to Britain’s roads by a European plan to give them freedom to compete with domestic hauliers.

Supermarket chains that use British lorries to transport goods between depots and stores are among the businesses that will be able to cut costs by using foreign companies.

Foreign lorries are three times more likely per mile travelled to be in a collision than British lorries, according to an insurance industry study.

Lorries from several countries, including Romania, Greece, the Czech Republic and Slovakia, are twice as likely as British lorries to fail vehicle safety inspections.

Greek drivers are almost four times as likely to breach safety limits on the number of hours driven without a break, according to the Vehicle and Operator Services Agency (Vosa). German, Italian, Austrian and Turkish drivers are twice as likely to breach the limits.

There are 15,000 foreign lorries on British roads on a typical day. Crashes involving foreign lorries resulted in 44 deaths and 1,366 injuries in 2006.

Under the European plan, foreign lorries bringing goods across the Channel would be allowed to carry out an additional three haulage trips within Britain in the seven days after dropping off their original loads. They would be able to sign contracts for regular work with British companies. At present, they can carry out only “ad hoc” work.

The European proposal, which won the support of European transport ministers on Monday and is likely to be formally approved in June, is designed to “increase competitiveness and contribute to environmental goals by avoiding empty journeys”. But the Freight Transport Association (FTA) said that it would result in an increase in the number of unsafe lorries.

Operating costs for foreign haulage companies are about 30 per cent less than for British companies because diesel on the continent is on average 25p a litre cheaper and Eastern European drivers can be employed on much lower wages. Each foreign lorry can carry up to 1,500 litres (330 gallons) of fuel into Britain in extra tanks - enough for more than 2,500 miles (4,023km).

Simon Chapman, the FTA’s chief economist, said: “Foreign lorries will be able to use these new rules to carry out supermarket deliveries to local towns. It will mean a lot more foreign lorry trips on our roads even though they pose more risk to other drivers.”

The FTA said that it was disappointed that the Government had dropped a proposal to create a database of foreign lorries entering Britain. This would have made it easier to trace them if they breached rules and to monitor time spent in the country.

The Government has also abandoned a proposal to require foreign lorries to contribute £7 a day towards the cost of maintaining British roads. British lorries already pay this amount to drive on roads in Germany, the Netherlands, Belgium and Luxembourg.

An FTA spokesman said: “Foreign lorries working in the UK pay no UK taxes, make no contribution to the road wear which they create, and pay nothing at all for working in the UK. By contrast, the UK international fleet in Europe buys its fuel overseas and pays local road tolls and taxes.”

A spokesman from the Department for Transport said that the Government was in favour of allowing foreign lorries to carry out domestic haulage because it resulted in greater efficiency, but was opposed to “regular contract working”. The DfT announced this week an additional £24 million over three years to fund a 50 per cent increase in the number of checks on foreign lorries.

A Polish lorry driver was doing less than 20mph on a motorway when a breakdown truck crashed into the back of him. Six people were killed. Jerzy Adamski, 50, was in breach of EU law by failing to take sufficient rest. The Surrey coroner, in a narrative verdict, said that it could not be proved that he was suffering fatigue.

No truck

65% of Romanian lorries are found to be breaking the roadworthy rules (as are more than 50% of Austrian, Bulgarian, Hungarian, Latvian, Polish, Lithuanian, Portuguese, Slovakian and Slovenian)

37% of French and Portuguese vehicles are overloaded

51% of Greek drivers have broken rules on hours

Source: vosa.gov.uk (targeted enforcement checks, Jan-Dec 2007)

Contact our advertising team for advertising and sponsorship in Times Online, The Times and The Sunday Times. Search globrix.com to buy or rent UK property.

© Copyright 2008 Times Newspapers Ltd.

Another case of New Labour selling this country down the river.I like the way we are not going to charge them to use our roads but we will be spending 24 million pounds MORE just to check them. FFS :angry: :frowning:

Another nail in the coffin of UK haulage.

On the upside there is going to be loads of job opertunities for paramedics, firemen, police, VOSA, bereavement councilors, salvage work when this comes in maybe a time of a change of career.

I could do bereavement counciling. “Sorry Mrs Jones your family was wiped out by a foreign driver who hadnt taken any daily or weekly breaks, but the needs of big industry to have cheap haulage are more important. Good news tho the driver is going to have to spend the next few days in hospital, so when he gets out will have taken his weekly break and be able to continue driving”

I’m sure the government will act tho, prob reduce some more speed limits and introduce some more speed cameras.

Shocking Harry,

Send a letter to your MP’s I have.

Dear Julian,

as a past owner of a North Kent haulage company basically forced out of business due to rapidly increasing operational costs and legislation I was shocked to see that the British haulage industry was dealt another blow this week that will see many other operators close. The industry has been painted by the current government as the black sheep of UK business with absolutely zero policies implemented to allow fair competition against EU hauliers. It is fact that the UK haulage industry is vital to the running of the country with all products and services requiring transport at some stage so why is it being treated with so little regard.

Just as important especially in Kent as the county will see the most increase in EU traffic under the proposed changes to operating regulations is the safety aspect of foreign operators. UK hauliers and UK drivers are all highly trained and strictly governed ensuring that UK trucks are operated at all times in the safest possible manner, the same cannot be said for most of the non-UK trucks currently operating on our roads. Yes foreign hauliers are cheaper than UK hauliers, hardly surprising when fuel is significantly cheaper, safety checks are not carried out, drivers are paid pennies to work illegal hours and you can get away with paying no tax to use the UK’s roads (fair competition its called). 44 deaths caused by non UK hauliers on our roads last year will seem like a drop in the ocean compared to the amount of deaths and injuries caused by these hauliers when they have a free run to operate in the UK. To propose as the government has that increased checks will be performed by Vosa and the Police will ensure that standards are increased is ludicrous, any traffic officer will tell you that all they can cause is a minor inconvenience with the worst punishment being a ban for the driver from using UK roads(with plenty more drivers waiting to replace him who cares).

Surely it would be better for all if the government was to support its own transport industry even if it was just implementing a tax on foreign trucks using UK roads as per Germany. As we are an island implementation of the tax would be a simple process and a fixed fee per day would at least go some way to pay for the wear and tear to our roads and the facilities they are using. Without timely and effective changes to the current system brought about by discussion with the FTA and UK hauliers(not a minister with little or no knowledge of the industry) the UK haulage industry will cease to exist. Maybe the Millions of tax generated through road fund and fuel taxation disappearing will finally prompt the government to take action but by that time it will be too late, and with us gone just watch our EU cousins prices increase and the death toll on UK’s roads sky rocket.

Yet again it seems that another British industry and the British public are being sold down the EU river by labour, any assistance in escalating the seriousness of this matter both from yourself and the Tory party will be appreciated by all in the UK Haulage industry.

Having seen the horrendous standard of driving by the majority of drivers driving UK registered wagons I don’t buy the “safety” argument at all. In fact, how often do you see a foreign wagon on its side on a roundabout over here? All the pics I’ve seen have been UK registered ones.

The UK haulage industry was finished off years ago by the fuel prices and all the red tape so let them get on with it - they’ll do it anyway.

If the supermarkets start using Betz for their RDC supplies then that’s got to be a good thing, right? Cheaper tins of beans and loaves of bread! :slight_smile:

It it happens and its true then I wouldnt say another nail, but…

The Final Nail

If the supermarkets start using Betz for their RDC supplies then that’s got to be a good thing, right? Cheaper tins of beans and loaves of bread

Do u think so ? whilst it will lower their overheads , I think it will only serve to boost their profits without any of the cost savings being passed onto the consumer…

Surely it would be better for all if the government was to support its own transport industry even if it was just implementing a tax on foreign trucks using UK roads as per Germany

Simple matter of truth is that They are not interested, how many times do we rant about it and for how many years ? Their answer is the topic of this post… Haulage is on its last legs and is about to be put out of its misery by the sound of it… :cry:

so all those employed could end up working for a foreign haulier in this country and all those who run small to medium sized fleets could find themselves engulfed by their overseas competitors and out of business :cry:

Some future that then…

routier:

It it happens and its true then I wouldnt say another nail, but…

The Final Nail

If the supermarkets start using Betz for their RDC supplies then that’s got to be a good thing, right? Cheaper tins of beans and loaves of bread

Do u think so ?

No, of course I don’t, but I’ll bet that that is one of the arguments that gets bandied around in favour of the foreigners.

whilst it will lower their overheads , I think it will only serve to boost their profits without any of the cost savings being passed onto the consumer…

Yes, I do too, but at the end of the day none of the retailers (nor any other company for that matter) are in business for loyalty reasons, they’re in business to make money and if you can get the goods on your shelves cheaper elsewhere then (if you’ve any sense) you’re not going to ignore it. It’s only a matter of time before the RDCs are empty of Stobarts and Irlams (one and the same these days, I know) and full of Betz, Nobbies, etc.

I wouldnt either go with the notion all foreign drivers are crap and dangerous either.

But the biggest difference is when a UK driver runs bent, drives like a ■■■ and gets caught out he gets rightly screwed over. When a foreign driver comes over here does it nothing much happens thats the fundamental difference.

Another problem is the EU introduce all these rules and legislation for fair competition Europe wide. Ive no problem with that, so whens the EU gonna make the cost of diesel standard all across Europe, whens the EU gonna make sure companies pay drivers a minimum rate all across Europe, whens the EU gonna make enforcement Europe wide.

Oh thats right it isnt so we don’t have fair competition across the board in Europe we have distinct advantages for companies from other countries. So we should allow countries to make up their own rules and regulations since it isnt possible to enforce Europe wide regulations.

But that aint gonna happen because when it comes down to it government is for big bussiness doesent care about the social or economic problems of the population here.

I wonder if mr.general public is going to moan and groan about forein trucks belching fumes ,shaking buildings in villages,making too much noise ,ruining roads,being too big,like they have about us for as long as i can remember.Probably not seeing as we are doing all the funding and they are contributing bugger all.Whats needed is a tax of at least £7.00 a day + a limit of 400ltrs of fuel,force them to pay something.If the govt,dont block the docks and have a confrontation like the french do.

dafdave:
like the french do.

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

We have all known for a number of years that our days have been numbered,
and what have we done…F-all…absolutely…Jack ■■■■…oh there was a little protest about 3 years ago…few people drove a few trucks around trafalgar square…and not forgetting the Allianz promised action if fuel duty was raised in the budget…wheres the action…in all honesty…i couldnt give a toss about this industry…or even this country…NEW LABOUR…dont make me laugh…
Foreign drivers…do not lose points on their licence
Foreign drivers do not pay a road toll
Foreign drivers can bring whatever fuel they want in to our country…whereas we had to pay a duty in anything over 200 litres…in france and germany.
The Eu started out to ruin this country a long time ago…we are giving away all the money that Maggie rescued from the e.u. in rebates…un-elected browne promising 5 million for malaria nets…bilions over the years to africa …they should have the finest drinking water in the world, and the most aids free country in Africa…and were still pouring billions in…what for…new jumbo jets.and palaces .for the leaders…
Now it seems that we cant kick out known terrorists who have tried to blow us up…we cant send them to their own countries…in case their human rights are infringed…yet we are the only country in the EU who cant…Spain…Italy…France…Germany…all kick the ■■■■■■■■ out…do we belong to a different e.u or what…theres a few reasons why i am sick to death of this place…and cant wait to leave…the country is divided…we pay scotland billions so their people can have free medecine…and education…and we cant even vote in their parliament…but they can here…wales wants independance…ireland is 50/50 anyway…so whats left…

Rob K:

dafdave:
like the french do.

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

What surprises me is the fact that the FTA seem bothered. They are, after all, not a hauliers’ organisation and, I would have thought, been pleased at the prospect of moving their goods more cheaply.

Perhaps they have worked it out that in the long run it won’t be cheaper or more efficient after all. :unamused: :wink:

truckyboy:
and what have we done…F-all…absolutely…Jack [zb]…oh there was a little protest about 3 years ago…few people drove a few trucks around trafalgar square…and not forgetting the Allianz promised action if fuel duty was raised in the budget…wheres the action…in all honesty…i couldnt give a toss about this industry…or even this country…NEW LABOUR…dont make me laugh…
Foreign drivers can bring whatever fuel they want in to our country…whereas we had to pay a duty in anything over 200 litres…in france and germany.
The Eu started out to ruin this country a long time ago…we are giving away all the money that Maggie rescued from the e.u. in rebates…un-elected browne promising 5 million for malaria nets…bilions over the years to africa …they should have the finest drinking water in the world, and the most aids free country in Africa…and were still pouring billions in…what for…new jumbo jets.and palaces .for the leaders…
Now it seems that we cant kick out known terrorists who have tried to blow us up…we cant send them to their own countries…in case their human rights are infringed…yet we are the only country in the EU who cant…Spain…Italy…France…Germany…all kick the [zb] out…do we belong to a different e.u or what…theres a few reasons why i am sick to death of this place…and cant wait to leave…the country is divided…we pay scotland billions so their people can have free medecine…and education…and we cant even vote in their parliament…but they can here…wales wants independance…ireland is 50/50 anyway…so whats left…

Good post Bob. As usual, you’re spot on.

really hard to work out what the goverment is playing at, trying to fell the tree they are sitting on, are they gonna wake up when most of hauliers closed up the shop. it’s goona be too late by than, the big boys will somehow manage, they always do but it’s gonna hit O/D the most i think

Spot on rob,glad im retired.But in the 30 odd yrs i did drive the uk driver was always put down and financially clobbered in all depts and never allowed to compete on anything near a level playing field.

It looks like I started this thread twice ! ( Blame the beer ,not me ) The cherry on the cake is that if they spend the week end here they are eligible to vote. :Lil:

truckyboy:
and what have we done…F-all…absolutely…Jack [zb]…oh there was a little protest about 3 years ago…few people drove a few trucks around trafalgar square…and not forgetting the Allianz promised action if fuel duty was raised in the budget…wheres the action…in all honesty…i couldnt give a toss about this industry…or even this country…NEW LABOUR…dont make me laugh…
Now it seems that we cant kick out known terrorists who have tried to blow us up…we cant send them to their own countries…in case their human rights are infringed…yet we are the only country in the EU who cant…Spain…Italy…France…Germany…all kick the [zb] out…do we belong to a different e.u or what…theres a few reasons why i am sick to death of this place…and cant wait to leave…the country is divided…we pay scotland billions so their people can have free medecine…and education…and we cant even vote in their parliament…but they can here…wales wants independance…ireland is 50/50 anyway…so whats left…

my thoughts exactly.

Bit of a long one this…

07/04/08 - News section

Immigration adds a million new voters to the electoral register in just two years as total hits record 46million
By JAMES SLACK

One million voters have been added to the electoral register in only two years, taking the total to a record 46million.

Hundreds of thousands of the new electors are immigrants who have been granted British citizenship or who poured in from Eastern Europe.

Critics said the increase made the case for changes to the electoral rules allowing non-British citizens full voting rights.

Some MPs have also voiced concerns that the system could be open to fraud.

Applicants do not have to provide documents proving their identity or even that they are in this country legally.

They simply fill in a two-page form including a declaration that all their details are accurate and correct.

Officials insist any false details could be spotted by local residents and reported as the electoral register is open to the public.

The huge surge in voter numbers began in 2005, when almost 300,000 names were added to the register for local elections.

It increased sharply the following year by 513,000 and in 2007 another 463,340 names were added.

There is a separate register for general elections only, which was boosted by 307,669 last year. It had 223,172 additions in 2005 and 371,770 in 2006.

The difference between the two registers is roughly the number of new voters from the EU, who can only vote in local and European elections. This numbered around 150,000 in each of the last two years.

The vast bulk will be Eastern Europeans, who have flocked in since the controversial expansion of the EU four years ago.

The growth in the overall register also reflects how immigrants coming to the UK since Labour came to power are now being granted citizenship.

With passports being handed out at the rate of 100,000 every year, all these people can vote.

There have also been thousands of arrivals from old Commonwealth countries.

Citizens from almost 50 countries, British Dependent Territories and the Republic of Ireland-can vote in local and general-election as they were classed as “British subjects” in 1918.

The total number thought to benefit is around one million. But only Ireland and some countries in the West Indies have a reciprocal agreement.

Pressure group Migrationwatch UK said one million votes could swing a close electoral campaign.

Chairman Sir Andrew Green said: “This announcement brings to light the absurdity that Commonwealth citizens have the right to vote in local and general elections. Indeed, they can do so within a fortnight of their arrival.”

The Ministry of Justice said the increase in voters on the electoral roll was down to efforts to make as many people as possible register.

Elections Minister Bridget Prentice said: “We need as comprehensive an electoral register as possible so everyone is able to have their say.”

The department said voter security was improved in 2006, including the new offence of supplying false information.

One million new voters have been added to the electoral register in only two years � taking the total to a record 46 million, it emerged last night.

Hundreds of thousands of the new electors are immigrants who have been granted British citizenship, or have poured in from Eastern Europe.

Critics said it made the case for changes to the electoral rules � which allow non-British citizens full voting rights.

Some MPs have also voiced concerns the system could be open to fraud.

Applicants do not have to provide documents proving their identity, or that they are in the country legally.

Instead, they simply fill in a two-page form, which has a self-declaration all the details are accurate and correct.

Government officials say that, as the electoral register is available to the public, any false details could be spotted by local residents and reported.

The huge surge in voter numbers began in 2005, when almost 300,000 names were added to the register which covers local elections.

In 2006, it increased sharply to 513,000, and last year 463,340 names were added.

A separate register for general elections only includes all of the above, except for EU nationals who are allowed to vote in local and European elections only.

This was boosted by 223,172 in 2005, 371,770 in 2006 and 307,669 in 2007.

The difference between the two registers is roughly the number of new voters from the EU � around 150,000 in each of the last two years.

Scroll down for more…

The vast bulk will be Eastern Europeans who have poured in since the controversial expansion of the EU four years ago.

The growth in the overall register also reflects the fact immigrants who have arrived in the UK since Labour came to power are now being granted citizenship.

With passports being handed out at the rate of 100,000 every year, all these people gain the right to vote.

There have also been thousands of new arrivals from old Commonwealth countries.

Electoral law grants citizens from almost 50 Commonwealth countries, British Dependent Territories and the Republic of Ireland the right to vote in both local and general election because in 1918 they were classed as ‘British subjects’.

The total number thought to benefit is around one million.

But only the Republic of Ireland and a small number of countries in the West Indies have a reciprocal agreement.

Migrationwatch said one million votes could be sufficient to swing a close electoral campaign.

Sir Andrew Green, chairman of Migrationwatch UK, said: 'This announcement brings to light the absurdity that Commonwealth citizens have the right to vote in both local and General elections.

‘Indeed, they can do so within a fortnight of their arrival.’

The Ministry of Justice, which is in charge of electoral rolls, said the increase was down to efforts to make as many people as possible register to vote.

Elections Minister Bridget Prentice said: ‘We need as comprehensive an electoral register as possible so everyone is able to have their say.’

The department said new security measures were introduced in 2006, including the offence of falsely applying for a postal or proxy vote and the criminal offence of supplying false information � or failing to supply information � to the electoral registration officer at any time.

Find this story at dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/a … ge_id=1770
©2008 Associated New Media

Jeez!

This 5th rate country ■■■■■!

What are we going to do about it? is there anything we can do?

i dont care who knows but i am going to vote for ukip or national front ive had enough