Mines in Notts

I know these are not lorries but wizzygti asked for pics of Notts pits

One of Britains biggest tunnelling machines driving a 3000m main roadway at Gedling Colliery

Dosco MIIB in the advanced head of 15s tailgate at Silverhill Colliery

Two more for wizzygti.

Refrigeration unit at Bevercotes Colliery. Underground temperatures can reah 30C at some deep mines.

Ranging-drum shearer cutting and loading coal at Daw Mill Colliery.

george3:

brit pete:
nice pictures shame about the last comment, it is not wanted
here,thank you,

I take it you don’t remember the coal strikes and the part the Nottingham miners played in the destruction of workers rights in this country. Even with the NuLiebour party being in power for 12yrs we still have some of the worst.
A lot of people belive Thatcher was good for this country. Personally I think she was the beginning of the end. The UK produces virtually nothing anymore and imports just about everything else. And it all started with Thatcher, assisted by the Nottinghamshire miners.

Well commented george3
they are scabs and thats it. working through the strike is nothing to be proud of

Just look at the registration numbers on the trucks flatman shows. All old and long dead. And the Scab is proud of his part in the destruction of not only the coal industry but all UK industry. All the families he helped put on the scrap heap. All the drivers and miners he helped put out of work.

For george3 ENJOY

South Normanton Garage 11th July 1988

South Normanton Garage 18th June 1988

South Normanton Garage December 1980

South Normanton Garage August 1987

Loading Coal at Gedling Colliery in the 198os

Barnsley Built On Coal :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

All photos taken at South Normanton Garage in June 1988.

i want to thank the people who are posting positive stuff and pics i really appreciate it. Really cant believe some people. If your gonna be like that please dont bother. I posted the original request due to my own personal interests. Please feel free to read this and take note. Seriously we are in 2009.

my email is richard_james_hayes@hotmail.com

Just been browsing your thread,I can remember HOVERINGHAM GRAVEL having a quarry at the side of bestwood pit
When we were sent to the quarry we were able to use the pit canteen,and have fond memmories of tucking in to a
big subsidised breakfast and having the crack,with the miners.
Here is a picture I think was given to me by a friend,dont know but think it was based at CALVERTON.

nigelhunt:
Just been browsing your thread,I can remember HOVERINGHAM GRAVEL having a quarry at the side of bestwood pit
When we were sent to the quarry we were able to use the pit canteen,and have fond memmories of tucking in to a
big subsidised breakfast and having the crack,with the miners.
Here is a picture I think was given to me by a friend,dont know but think it was based at CALVERTON.

The photo is one of mine, I took it on the22nd August 1989 at South Normanton Garage Derbyshire, where I worked and the vehicle was based. The photo I have put on below shows it just before the NPT stickers were put on it. The driver at British Coal was Frank Wilson, who if I remember right lived at Bestwood Village, but did not transfer to NPT on privatisation. It was replaced not long after the NPT photo was taken by a Foden. I remember the quarry at Bestwood, I fetched a few loads out of their when I worked for Harry Bonsall.

Many thanks for that info flatman.The reason for me having that photo is that i drove scammell crusaders for R H P bearings for
many years and my friend thought i would like a picture of it.I was pulling low loaders at that time,moving machines from
anfield plain.My crusader was only a four by two tractor unit with a rolls engine and a fuller RTO 509 gearbox.It pulled like a train
but you needed a football field to stop it.

nigelhunt:
Many thanks for that info flatman.The reason for me having that photo is that i drove scammell crusaders for R H P bearings for
many years and my friend thought i would like a picture of it.I was pulling low loaders at that time,moving machines from
anfield plain.My crusader was only a four by two tractor unit with a rolls engine and a fuller RTO 509 gearbox.It pulled like a train
but you needed a football field to stop it.

Its not a problem Nigel, here is another Crusader operated by NPT, it is Sheffield reg, but came to NPT when they took over North Derbyshire area transport at Duckmanton nr Chesterfield,it didn’t last long with NPT either and was sent down to South Wales and replaced by another Foden. It was taken at the Cotes Park Somercotes depot on 19th October 1991

remember the pits well.used to deliver struts to cotgrave and babbington with my dad in 70s. :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

kenhulmes:
remember the pits well.used to deliver struts to cotgrave and babbington with my dad in 70s. :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Who did your dad work for?

he worked for r and k bardsley and he drove a leyland eac or aec and he sometimes drove an erf ,happy days :smiley:

I used to deliver to quite a few pits in the Notts/Derby area with hydraulic hose from Dunlop and machines from EIMCO, both places at Team Valley in Gateshead. My younger Brother settled in Jacksdale (his wife is from there) after his army days and drove for the NCB, started on bagging then tippers before becoming an owner driver. I always found the Stores guys helpful at these places, shame they would shortly close not long after, they were good drops the pits. I’ll ask my Bro if he has any pics. Franky.

I used to go to a lot of these mines with my father , from as early as 1973 when he started for freeway haulage, he still works their today longest serving driver, they used to do a lot of steel from raines steel works at dunston, franky you will remember them, when i started driving trucks 1988 i went to a few of them myself but a lot of them were closing then, spent a couple of years at freeway then went to work for kris kristisnsen and jimmy jarvis, he said you only used to give him half a sandwich.
cheers MARK.

Ha ha, aye Mark Jimmy would say that, big sod. Getting back to mines I also did a lot of local work in the NorthEast during the closing of places such as Easington, Hetton, Murton and Monkwearmouth (where the Stadium of Light now stands) and took equipment from them back to the main stores at Ellington. Quite sad to see these once busy places dying and the lads left on these sites were past caring, I usually done three or four loads a day but it once took all day to load a prop from Easington, the Gaffer went crackers but there was nowt anybody could do about it a bomb wouldn’t get them to move any faster. I was glad to get back down the road again. Franky.