milk tanker

i’m an ex gregorys & interoute farm collection & liner driver & cant add much more than StokeTrucker or C-Kay other than take yer time & get used to the surges & slop
you don’t see many about now but also beware of twin potters, these trailers have two compartments in them , so you could get two surges / slops working against each other , now that really is a strange load to pull , also beware with these that if a twin has been filled without a unit hitched to it , the rear compartment maybe fuller than the front , & this makes the backend of the unit very skittish & light , real nasty on roundabouts !
slow on corners & be wary of part loads as again on uphill gradients can take the weight off the rear end .
have seen part loaded tankers try to stop at traffic lights only for the slop to push them out into oncoming traffic

if you have to collect a trailer from a reload site , the farm collection drivers will fill the reload sheets out but you will need to work out your gross weight

most trailers have a sticker giving it’s tare weight & another for the tank capacity, all you need to know is the approx weight of the unit
from the loaded litres you can work out the GVW

TOTAL LITRES x 1.0237 + TRAILER WEIGHT + UNIT WEIGHT = GROSS WEIGHT

ask in the office for a sheet of trailer numbers & corressponding weights then write in that equasion & you can work out what you want whereever you are with any tank

the maoster:

dieseldave:

farmer:
i know C-Kay is on bulk collection work with an auto unit as well

Hi farmer, maybe I’ve missed something… :blush: :blush:
… but what difference would an auto make??

Hey Dave, I think the auto reference was regarding the “surge” and an auto boxs’ habit of “hunting” for gears (for want of a better word).

Hi the maoster, Ahh, thanks for that. :smiley:
I’ve only driven one auto on one occasion, a high-cube W&D tautliner, but I didn’t experience any ‘hunting’ for gears probably due to the very light load. (Empty pop bottles.)

the maoster:
All my tanker work has been on gas or chemical tankers which have had (in the last 15 or so years) brake interlocks fitted to prevent “drive aways”. Maybe as milk isn’t classed as hazardous per se the need for interlocks hasn’t been addressed. Having said that £60k worth of damage kind of says that it does I reckon. Also, try telling the river authorities that milk isn’t hazardous and watch thei little faces turn red. :smiley:

Same here mate, and you’re right about milk too.
Milk isn’t actually classed as ‘dangerous’ but I’m told that it de-oxygenates water and would therefore cause harm to live fish.

Forgot to mention , get a good book or better still t/v dvd player if your a bulker, this time of year think nothing of sitting in a dairy hours on end waiting to tip, only yesterday I took a load from the dairy at Llandyrnog (Clwyd) to a dairy 250miles away at Hatfield Peverel (Essex) arrived 12.25 finally left at 18.42 , there were 9 of our trucks sitting there in total some for more than 8 hours, give the traffic office guys nightmares at times.

quoteRe: milk tanker
by dieseldave »

The boss probably realised that fitting brake safety interlocks to the whole fleet would probably have left him in profit from his 60K.

Add to that 60K the possiblity that somebody could have been hurt and the possible compo claim(s) arising from that.

The ease with which the mistake happened, or could happen again, suggests that some fail-safe system to prevent inadvertent vehicle movement needs to be considered in order to avoid a repetition.

Glad that nobody got hurt though.

NO the boss probably was thinking " thank god We’ve public liaibilty insurance" It wasn’t 100% my fault and it was a lapse of concentration that caused it on 2 peoples count, but I was the 1 who drove off so the majority of the blame I must carry , won’t do that again I’m sure, always check now and don’t trust someone else to do their job .

C-kay -----infact Wincanton, SJ Bargh and Gregory’s DO offer the whole service from Farm to Dairy, not only do they do farm collection we deliver bulk to Dairies all over the UK not just in the local area the milk is collected

The conversion rate weight to litres is 1.0327 not 1.0237

Yes indeed it’s an Enviromental nightmare when milk is split and allowed to get into the drains or water . If i remember right the last time 1 of our bulkers went over on a roundabout the recovery bill and cleanup operation was £150’000 , Which was expensive and would of been less than a quater of that had the Enviornmental know it alls left us to get on with it. But they think they know best .

stoke trucker:
Forgot to mention , get a good book or better still t/v dvd player if your a bulker, this time of year think nothing of sitting in a dairy hours on end waiting to tip,

The conversion rate weight to litres is 1.0327 not 1.0237

ahh waiting times , nope don’t miss them a bit , always had a book , worst occassions were chadwell heath , 9 hours , hatfield peveral another 9 or more hours & best was always westbury could take anything from straight in, up to two days :open_mouth:
give me a back on bay rather than a drive through any day

oops 1.0327 is it , well it has been a while :confused:

i didn’t mind the waiting at dairies it was waiting at reload sites , i’m happy if i’m doing something , but after a portsmouth or ruislip tip then back to a reload site & to have to sit around for anything up to 4 hours per day ,every day is very easy money , but every day ? the novelty soon wears off, as does oakthorpe every night for 4 years

stoke trucker:
C-kay -----infact Wincanton, SJ Bargh and Gregory’s DO offer the whole service from Farm to Dairy, not only do they do farm collection we deliver bulk to Dairies all over the UK not just in the local area the milk is collected

Ah, i was told otherwise. I know you/they come from all over the place, we get Bargh’s and Abbey’s down in Hatfield Peveral, so i guessed it wasn’t local milk. Even the stuff i collect isn’t ‘local’.

I’m based at Hatfield Peveral, i dont see alot of the hold ups you lot see, if i cant get into a bay when i get there i leave it for the night shunter, but it is very busy down there at the moment.

C-Kay:
Ah, i was told otherwise. I know you/they come from all over the place, we get Bargh’s and Abbey’s down in Hatfield Peveral, so i guessed it wasn’t local milk. Even the stuff i collect isn’t ‘local’.

I’m based at Hatfield Peveral, i dont see alot of the hold ups you lot see, if i cant get into a bay when i get there i leave it for the night shunter, but it is very busy down there at the moment.

Not half as busy as it is going to be at Leeds.

Has anything been mentioned about the new super dairy they are building?

I take it when Hatfield Peveral and Oakthorpe go, you’ll be transferring then?

Ken.

Quinny:

C-Kay:

Not half as busy as it is going to be at Leeds.

Has anything been mentioned about the new super dairy they are building?

I take it when Hatfield Peveral and Oakthorpe go, you’ll be transferring then?

Ken.

It’s going on the A127 near the M25 junction. It’s not opening until 2012, so whether i’ll still be there or not, i dont know.

I used to load out of hatfield Peveral regularly, the place is ok but the loading is slow, I bet the neighbours will be pleased when they turn it into a barrat home estate :laughing:

stoke trucker:

dieseldave:
The boss probably realised that fitting brake safety interlocks to the whole fleet would probably have left him in profit from his 60K.

Add to that 60K the possiblity that somebody could have been hurt and the possible compo claim(s) arising from that.

The ease with which the mistake happened, or could happen again, suggests that some fail-safe system to prevent inadvertent vehicle movement needs to be considered in order to avoid a repetition.

Glad that nobody got hurt though.

stoke trucker:
NO the boss probably was thinking " thank god We’ve public liaibilty insurance" It wasn’t 100% my fault and it was a lapse of concentration that caused it on 2 peoples count, but I was the 1 who drove off so the majority of the blame I must carry , won’t do that again I’m sure, always check now and don’t trust someone else to do their job .

Hi stoke trucker, I wasn’t even considering whose fault it was…
My thoughts were to prevent a repetition, regardless of fault. :smiley: