Milage concerns for used vehicles

I AM CURRENTLY RESEARCHING THE OD BUISNESS, AT THE MOMENT I HAVE PUT THE MOVE ON HOLD DUE TO THE FUEL COSTS. DURING MY RESEARCH FOR VEHICLE PURCHASE I SEE VEHICLES FOR SALE WITH 600, 700, 800000 MILES ON THE CLOCK, SHOULD I BE CONCERNED AT THE MILAGE OR ARE CVs BUILT TO LAST A LOT LONGER ?

umm, err, what. Can you keep the noise down old chap :laughing:

YOUR CAPS LOCK BUTTON IS STUCK

My Daf had 600000kms on the clock when I bought it ( at 3 years old) hasn’t caused any major problems

ps , typing in all capitals is the same as SHOUTING :wink:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

On average, an artic will cover around 120,000Kms a year.
Of course this is a ball park figure and many will have covered more/ less.
Vehicles which have covered more than average mileage MAY give more trouble than those which have not…but you can never tell.
Good luck.
P.S…I have a DAF 95XF SSC for sale which has covered 512,000kms in 5 years (Average mileage) PM me for a great deal on it! :smiley:

I wouldn’t buy one with over approx. 500,000 kilometres on the clock to er on the side of caution and give enough life left to you. If you are talking 500, 700, 800 thousand MILES then i’d steer clear, make sure you don’t get mixed up with miles and kilometres! That Daf Tramper is selling looks nice if the price is right but might be still more than you want to pay if you are just starting up.

Denis F:
My Daf had 600000kms on the clock when I bought it ( at 3 years old) hasn’t caused any major problems

ps , typing in all capitals is the same as SHOUTING :wink:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Mine’s just turned over 450000 miles that’s 720000K still going strong, but the best 2nd hand motors I have bought have been low mileage low weight trucks. My best being a CF380 twin steer, low mileage, plated at 38t used for delivering eggs. Poor girl must have nearly had a heart attack, the 1st time she went over the M62 at 44t
:laughing:

Just don’t get a stralis!

A lot depends on the make and regular servicing ,my old FH on a 03 plate did 1,000,000 kms with no major problems on a volvo service contract all its life with us and running fish to Spain which is not the easiest of jobs.
We are putting another FH520 on the road this week and keeping the 53 plate with 1,100,000 kms on the clock so we will see how it goes :confused: fingers crossed maybe.

i part exchanged a vw lt 50 in 1997 with 136000 miles,saw a few weeks later for sale in commercial vehicle retailer with only 35000 miles-top seller as well

ive been wondering the same about mileage concerns! im looking at starting up on my own and i was looking at a renault premium or an iveco stralis but silver_surfer says dont buy 1! whats the matter with them?

our 55 reg scanias are all about 7-800,000 .all go really well , told there just starting to need new clutches.id say theyve still got some life left in them

In my humble opinion:

If you don’t know what vehicle is suitable for the kind of work you will be doing, and you don’t know what mileage you will be doing, and how this compares to what is currently on the clock, you might not be ready to set up business just yet.

i have an o2 topline scania 750000km.had recent turbo,clutch,starter alternator,all steering linkages.this is what to expect at this mileage.its for sale cos im jacking it in,feel for these young guys on this forum asking about starting up when they dont have a clue what its about. think i want to be a barrister now,ill go down the courthouse and ask one where do i start and how much shall i charge…

chappy261:
ive been wondering the same about mileage concerns! im looking at starting up on my own and i was looking at a renault premium or an iveco stralis but silver_surfer says dont buy 1! whats the matter with them?

They’re crap!

Take any other motor anyday!

As Silver Surfer said, they’re crap, they are unreliable, and bits fall off them

If you look on the roads alot of the older trucks are scania mercedes and volvo. An older daf is rare enough and ivecos are few and far between. However, i had a '00 volvo with 600k on the clock. When that truck hit 500 k alot of stuff went wrong, turbo,clutch booster cab bushens all thru wear and tear. My previous volvo was similar.
I believe 500k is a milestone for volvos anyway.
If i wanted something bulletproof and cheap id get an axor ‘all cash no flash’ :laughing:

i learned and passed me class 1 in an axor with the happy slappy 8 speed box and it was bright yellow!! it was comfey enough!

umm, slightly off topic, but does anyone really give a crap if caps lock is on or not, its not like the person is really shouting at you… you cant hear them, sometimes they just forget…

lespaul1765:
umm, slightly off topic, but does anyone really give a crap if caps lock is on or not, its not like the person is really shouting at you… you cant hear them, sometimes they just forget…

Yes, it looks bad…

TC