Max hours for double manning

if you started 8.00 am whens the latest you could work :question: ta

Short answer;
assuming that the 08:00 is Tuesday is when you finish your daily or weekly rest period, then you can work, drive, have POA’s and breaks until 05:00 Wednesday. Then you must start a daily rest period of at least 9 hours

Long answer;
when a vehicle is muti-manned (at least two drivers carried on the vehicle to do the driving). The daily rest requirement is 9 hours within 30 hours of the last daily or weekly rest ending. This is counted as a Regular Daily Rest period, it is not a ‘reduced.’ So, in the 21 hours ‘spreadover’ available both drivers can do 9 hours driving each. They could do 10 hours driving each, provided they haven’t already done 2 ten hour drives that week (00:00 Monday to 24:00 Sunday). The co-driver may take their break, not rest, whilst the other is driving. If they are taking their daily rest period in the vehicle, it must be fitted with suitable sleeping facilities for each driver and be stationary. Weekly rest requirements are the same as for single manned vehicles. You can still only drive 56 hours in a week and 90 in any fortnight. During the first hour of multi-manning you only have to have one driver on the vehicle. Thereafter, two drivers must be present. So, in you example, driver one could collect the vehicle from the yard and drive to the house of driver 2 and collect him. Provided this was done by 09:00 hrs the journey would be classified as multi-manned. Just to make it more complicated, it doesn’t have to be the same two drivers present on the vehicle. To make it even more complicated, if the second driver travels to meet the vehicle, then his travel time may well govern the start of the 30 hour period.

Which answer did you prefer, the long or the short■■? :smiley: :smiley:

I liked the long answer best!! :wink:

Just a point worth mentioning…whilst double manning, what mode should the tacho be set to for the bloke NOT driving whilst the chart (or card) is in the number 2 position? I’m thinking POA, but please correct me if I’m wrong.

Ta! :sunglasses:

The Mighty Trucker:

Just a point worth mentioning…whilst double manning, what mode should the tacho be set to for the bloke NOT driving whilst the chart (or card) is in the number 2 position? I’m thinking POA, but please correct me if I’m wrong.

You don’t usually get an option with most modern tacho heads. For example digi tachos default to POA for the driver 2 position as soon as the vehicle moves, which is why VOSA will count the first 45 minutes of POA as a break in the case of a multi manned vehicle. I can’t recall for sure but I think non digi tachos default to crossed hammers for driver 2, but it may be POA.

The second man can claim POA when he isn’t driving but he could equally claim break or if he is doing anything work related, such as navigating or dealing with paperwork then it would be other work.

As the definitve answer to the original post has been given - What if triple manning :question: :question: :question:

Coffeeholic:

The Mighty Trucker:

You don’t usually get an option with most modern tacho heads. For example digi tachos default to POA for the driver 2 position as soon as the vehicle moves, which is why VOSA will count the first 45 minutes of POA as a break in the case of a multi manned vehicle. I can’t recall for sure but I think non digi tachos default to crossed hammers for driver 2, but it may be POA.

The second man can claim POA when he isn’t driving but he could equally claim break or if he is doing anything work related, such as navigating or dealing with paperwork then it would be other work.

Cheers Neil.

As Neil said; digitals, second man slot will record 'availability. whilst vehicle is in motion. The 1319 (used to be fitted to Actros & Sprinter (over 3.5 tonnes)) where you put the chart into a thin slot in the dash under the mode switches and the 1324 & 2400 series tachos (both modular, look like cd players) all record ‘availability’ if a second man chart is fitted and vehicle is moving. This is taken from Regulation (EEC) 3821/85.

As Rog asked; if triple manning the rest requirements are the same as those for a double manned journey, so no real advantage. The ‘third driver’ would have to make manual records when not actually driving. Usually with triple manning; the first two drivers will run to the limit of double manning and then the third driver takes over and pretends he was resting on the vehicle whilst the others were driving. OK this usually happens with PSV’s rather than HGV’s. Charges vary from; fail to record, through to false records. Passengers usually get the hump as the vehicle then has to park up for a daily rest and they have the choice of walking or staying with the vehicle :smiley: :smiley: