M1 N/B JCN 20

Give it a miss for a while 3 lorries in an accident at about 3am this morning , don’t quote me on it but there maybe one fatality .
Goods and diesel spread out all over the road .

more here

I went past it at 4 o clock this morning, going into costco at magna park looked like carnage, sympathys with the familys concerned, bit of a bad day for the m1 as there was also a vehicle fire on the southbound side later on. the motorway was STILL closed at 1 o clock this afternoon.

My mate just phoned me to say it was his mate who he used to work with, 54 year old from Bawtry way, who died :cry:

That M1 gets worse .
Earlier on at toddington a corsa nearly ended up in a truck sandwich , me in the middle lane to let a truck on, willi betz getting on the motorway from the services and the corsa thought he might have a go at undertaking me at the same time willi betz was getting into lane 1 .
Unbelivable .
Well it isn’t unbeleivable anymore is it these days :confused:

Very sad news

Seems to be more and more rugular though recently, :open_mouth:

I read the link but whats that about the police complaints commission, surely people are not complainig that the police were slowing traffic down, Somebody died for gods sake !!! :cry: :cry:

Pete, as I read it, it is because the Police were using their vehicles to slow traffic, i.e. effectively ‘controlling’ traffic, in the vicinity, when the accident happened.

Hence the matter automatically gets referred to the I.P.C.C.

And it also means that it will probably appear in next years accident statistics as a fatality involving a Police vehicle. :unamused:

Sad affair though.

I went past it at lunchtime and there was only one of the vehicles still at the scene, a DHL trailer but I have no idea what unit was pulling it as there was virtually nothing left of the cab.

I went past at nine am, It was a Nicholls scania sandwiched between two DHL Actros,s. The two rear most cabs were in a very bad way. I know it might be distressing to the relatives and friends of those drivers involved but I think they should show the photos on news programs and in news paper reports to make other drivers think before tail gating on the motorway. the reason why the first vehicle braked is irrelevant, the fact is the following trucks did not have enough distance to stop.

More from the local paper

ONE DEAD IN M1 LORRIES TRAGEDY

BY PAUL CONROY

10:30 - 05 July 2007

A person was killed after three lorries collided on the M1 this morning while police were blocking part of the motorway.

Another had to be pulled from the wreckage by firefighters, who spent two hours cutting the victim free.

Part of the motorway is expected to remain closed for several hours today while police investigate what happened and clear away the wreckage.

The accident took place at about 3.10am today as three lorries, two of which were from the DHL delivery company, collided on the northbound carriageway close to junction 20, near Lutterworth.

At the time, police were using marked cars to slow traffic down following two earlier incidents.

A police spokesman said the incident had been referred to the Independent Police Complaints Commission for investigation because officers were on the scene at the time.

A Leicestershire police spokeswoman said: "The collision took place after police put on a rolling road block to allow officers to deal with two earlier incidents in the vicinity.

“Due to the circumstances in which the collision occurred, the matter has been referred to the Independent Police Complaints Commission.”

The IPCC will look at the actions of the police officers to determine whether any mistakes were made.

Leicestershire Fire Service said they spent two hours trying to cut one of the drivers free, and the casualties were taken to hospital by ambulance.

Firefighters then left the scene, but returned at about 7am to free the body of the person who died.

A fire service spokeswoman said this was normal practice as the police needed to fully examine the scene.

She said: “The police are doing their investigation side of things. Given the severity of the accident they’ve said we need to come back.”

A spokeswoman for area traffic control said nortbound vehicles were being diverted onto the M6 south of Lutterworth, then onto the M69 before returning to the M1.

She added the closure had not caused too many traffic problems by 8am.

The spokeswoman said: “The actual diversion is on to the M6, so it is better able to cope than if it had been onto A roads.”

Link to Leicester Mercury

mikermhh:
I went past at nine am, It was a Nicholls scania sandwiched between two DHL Actros,s. The two rear most cabs were in a very bad way. I know it might be distressing to the relatives and friends of those drivers involved but I think they should show the photos on news programs and in news paper reports to make other drivers think before tail gating on the motorway. the reason why the first vehicle braked is irrelevant, the fact is the following trucks did not have enough distance to stop.

This is surely the point and one that is too often missed in such cases.
However, it must be said that Nicholls may have been pushed into the vehicle ahead while travelling at a safe stopping distance. Good reason to leave even more room.
But tailgating is the bane of modern roads, no doubt encouraged by weight of traffic and desire not to let others in pushing you further back, but nevertheless must be resisted.

leics.police.uk/canyouhelp/a … o_died_in/