Lorry driving and alzheimers

Like above says, my old man is a driver this past 40 years and is 58 now covering the uk ireland and the continent. This year he was diagnosed with alzheimers and had his licence taken off him there and then, he’s been staying with me this past to weeks and I’ve noticed he isn’t sleeping at nite, maybe an hour here and there, had a conversation with him this morning as I was concerned about him not sleeping and telling him to speak to a doctor about it when he gets home, to which his reply was I’ve never really slept at nite due to the driving as that’s when he used to make up his time as roads where quiet and so on. I’m a firm believer that that lifestyle has in some form led to this disease and the doctors think his life of driving when people are sleeping and sleeping when people are awake along with eating crap at cafes and services. For his driving career to be cut short the way it has, has had a major effect on him as he loved and dearly misses life on the road.what a way for him to have the thing he loved doing stopped the way it did. And I’m sure all the old hands in the game (band of brothers)as he called yous and himself could agree. Anyone else agree or is going through the same I’d like to hear your stories.

Thanks

Sorry to hear this …night working has more of an effect than people used to think.
This link to the sleepfoundation might be useful to you if you haven’t already seen it.
Hope things work out okay for you.

sleepfoundation.org/shift-work/ … k-disorder

I’m really sorry to hear that! I can imagine that this job, particularly the peculiar hours can have seriously detrimental effects to ones health in later life, and that’s for those of us who actually make it that far.
I hope that in time, your father can adjust to his new lifestyle and make the most of life. Good luck to you both.

A very sad story to hear. Unfortunately shift working in a driving or non driving job is a major health risk. 12 hr Continental shifts were introduced to combat the known health problems, but once your body clock adjusts I think it is still as bad. Hope he adjusts better now he is away from the job.

All the best to your Dad pal :confused:

I’ve said before I don’t sleep well , often 3/4/5 hrs sleep , even weekend not a good sleeper , don’t seem to be able to switch off , wake up thinking about things , Mrs says tell the doctor , but you just keep going , will it affect me in later years , I guess it will .
All the best to you and your dad

IIRC there’s a potential link between diesel and alzheimers and dementia. Mr Albion died a few years back of dementia after spending most of his working life around trucks. Wether the two are connected, who knows.

Disturbed sleep patterns and sundowning are indicators of dementia progression, along with a whole host of other symptoms.

alzheimers.org.uk/info/2006 … _changes/7

If you can find ways of still keeping him connected to transport in any way, that might help - a few subscriptions to truck and driver, commercial motor and the vintage truck magazines might help. If he has any mates that he can go out with in the cab, I know passengers are often not allowed these days though. It’s all about keeping the brain neurons firing away so a mix of old and new things can be helpful.

It sounds as if your Dad is in the early stages and he may stay at that stage for a good while, however, it may - well it will actually - be immensely helpful to make sure that someone has PoA for
both health and wealth - trust me it’s absolutely invaluable should your Dad reach the stage of not being able to make his own decisions.

Best wishes to both of you.

As someone who has recently been a 1-2-1 carer till the end of life for a person with dementia (PWD) I know too well the effects it can have on someone who has a confirmed diagnosis. Everything in their lifestyle is likely to change from diet to sleep patterns, my only advice is let them sleep and eat when they want and try to monitor that they are getting sufficient nourishment. It’s likely he’ll go off his favourite meals & develop a sweet tooth later on, as sweetness is probably the last sense of taste to be lost. So it’s not unknown for a PWD to eat lots of chocolate etc, but they’re still getting a calorie intake.
But as there are an estimated 600 different types of dementia it’s likely the symptoms will manifest themselves differently in each case. With Sundowning being one of the more problematic ones due to the mood changes throughout the day. Getting the PWD to accept and come to terms with the diagnosis can be difficult and many go into denial. This is where the AS can be helpful, they also run many activities for both the PWD and their families.
I’d urge the OP (if they haven’t already) to contact a local branch of the Alzheimers Society (AS) or the Alzheimers Society national helpline and ask them to arrange a home visit to discuss the case, as they are there to assist with information and advice, but are not pushy with it. The OP sounds like they may benefit from nominating themselves as the carer for the PWD as sometimes the PWD is reluctant to seek advice or assistance. I’d suggest taking a look at the CRiSP courses run by the AS as they enable the carers and family understand what is going on, and can point them in the right direction for help and information. From personal experience it is better to know about, and plan ahead before you reach a crisis point as local authorities (LA) are sometimes overstretched and slow to put a care package in place, which can result in both the carer and PWD suffering. I’m my case I received the phone call from the LA informing me the care package had been granted the same day I found him dead.
A PWD is entitled to certain financial benefits inc:
Attendance allowance (AA) - initially at the lower rate, contact AgeUK who can assist with filling the application form. The This can be reviewed at a later stage and increased to the higher rate as things progress. Once the higher rate is awarded other benefits such as Blue badge can become applicable.
Council tax exemption- due to deminised capacity, you will need to apply to the LA dept for council tax (CT), but you will need a letter from the memory service dated with the date of diagnosis that you send to the LA. The CT can be back dated and refunded if you apply at a date after diagnosis.
If they had to give up work to provide care, The OP could apply for carers allowance of £62.50 pw
Again contact the AS for assistance for the above, also contact the LA and ask them to arrange both a carers assessment and occupational therapy (OT) assessment for the PWD, I’d suggest that the assessments are regularly redone and updated as the OT dept will archive the case IF the assessment isn’t updated and you’ll fall off the radar.

The Alzheimers Society have a splendid message board / forum where you can ask questions etc
forum.alzheimers.org.uk/

Edit: I’d also urge the OP to consider while their dad has capacity to do the following:
Speak to his GP and nominate themselves as a responsible person/carer and you’ll be listed with the GP on the carers register. This will allow you to speak confidently to his GP on his behalf.
Setup a lasting power of attorney with your dad, especially a financial one, so that should he loose capacity his wishes for his care are written down in a legal document, and can be used by nominated guardian(s) to take over and manage everything in his life such as paying bills. This can now be done online via the office of public guardian website.
Consider the idea of having your dad give you access to his bank account(s) either as joint bank account or via online banking, this will enable you to ensure his bills are paid.

albion:
IIRC there’s a potential link between diesel and alzheimers and dementia. Mr Albion died a few years back of dementia after spending most of his working life around trucks. Wether the two are connected, who knows.

Disturbed sleep patterns and sundowning are indicators of dementia progression, along with a whole host of other symptoms.

alzheimers.org.uk/info/2006 … _changes/7

If you can find ways of still keeping him connected to transport in any way, that might help - a few subscriptions to truck and driver, commercial motor and the vintage truck magazines might help. If he has any mates that he can go out with in the cab, I know passengers are often not allowed these days though. It’s all about keeping the brain neurons firing away so a mix of old and new things can be helpful.

It sounds as if your Dad is in the early stages and he may stay at that stage for a good while, however, it may - well it will actually - be immensely helpful to make sure that someone has PoA for
both health and wealth - trust me it’s absolutely invaluable should your Dad reach the stage of not being able to make his own decisions.

Best wishes to both of you.

Thanks for your reply, much appreciated.
I had him over with me for 2 weeks, had him out in the lorry with me once as like you said most nearly all won’t let passengers in these days due to health and safety. I’m in England living and working with a family of my own, my dad is in ireland on his own but my sister calls in when she can, I haven’t a clue what to do at this stage, hard to give up family my home and job here and up sticks back to ireland. Tight going at the minute for me, as my brain wreaked over thinking the whole thing

peirre:
As someone who has recently been a 1-2-1 carer till the end of life for a person with dementia (PWD) I know too well the effects it can have on someone who has a confirmed diagnosis. Everything in their lifestyle is likely to change from diet to sleep patterns, my only advice is let them sleep and eat when they want and try to monitor that they are getting sufficient nourishment. It’s likely he’ll go off his favourite meals & develop a sweet tooth later on, as sweetness is probably the last sense of taste to be lost. So it’s not unknown for a PWD to eat lots of chocolate etc, but they’re still getting a calorie intake.
But as there are an estimated 600 different types of dementia it’s likely the symptoms will manifest themselves differently in each case. With Sundowning being one of the more problematic ones due to the mood changes throughout the day. Getting the PWD to accept and come to terms with the diagnosis can be difficult and many go into denial. This is where the AS can be helpful, they also run many activities for both the PWD and their families.
I’d urge the OP (if they haven’t already) to contact a local branch of the Alzheimers Society (AS) or the Alzheimers Society national helpline and ask them to arrange a home visit to discuss the case, as they are there to assist with information and advice, but are not pushy with it. The OP sounds like they may benefit from nominating themselves as the carer for the PWD as sometimes the PWD is reluctant to seek advice or assistance. I’d suggest taking a look at the CRiSP courses run by the AS as they enable the carers and family understand what is going on, and can point them in the right direction for help and information. From personal experience it is better to know about, and plan ahead before you reach a crisis point as local authorities (LA) are sometimes overstretched and slow to put a care package in place, which can result in both the carer and PWD suffering. I’m my case I received the phone call from the LA informing me the care package had been granted the same day I found him dead.
A PWD is entitled to certain financial benefits inc:
Attendance allowance (AA) - initially at the lower rate, contact AgeUK who can assist with filling the application form. The This can be reviewed at a later stage and increased to the higher rate as things progress. Once the higher rate is awarded other benefits such as Blue badge can become applicable.
Council tax exemption- due to deminised capacity, you will need to apply to the LA dept for council tax (CT), but you will need a letter from the memory service dated with the date of diagnosis that you send to the LA. The CT can be back dated and refunded if you apply at a date after diagnosis.
If they had to give up work to provide care, The OP could apply for carers allowance of £62.50 pw
Again contact the AS for assistance for the above, also contact the LA and ask them to arrange both a carers assessment and occupational therapy (OT) assessment for the PWD, I’d suggest that the assessments are regularly redone and updated as the OT dept will archive the case IF the assessment isn’t updated and you’ll fall off the radar.

The Alzheimers Society have a splendid message board / forum where you can ask questions etc
forum.alzheimers.org.uk/

Edit: I’d also urge the OP to consider while their dad has capacity to do the following:
Speak to his GP and nominate themselves as a responsible person/carer and you’ll be listed with the GP on the carers register. This will allow you to speak confidently to his GP on his behalf.
Setup a lasting power of attorney with your dad, especially a financial one, so that should he loose capacity his wishes for his care are written down in a legal document, and can be used by nominated guardian(s) to take over and manage everything in his life such as paying bills. This can now be done online via the office of public guardian website.
Consider the idea of having your dad give you access to his bank account(s) either as joint bank account or via online banking, this will enable you to ensure his bills are paid.

Thanks for your reply
I’ve been living and working in England this past 15 years, my old man is in ireland on his own, my sister calls in on him from time to time, hard for me to know what to do at this stage. He was over with me for a cpl of weeks and I had him out in the lorry with me for a run. Sad to see a hard working man being told he couldn’t do the job he loved anymore but I suppose that’s life. Life is so fast these days where not much leway is giving, so be interesting to see what happens as the months goes on

Cheers for the info and links

It does mess with your brain. First piece of advice is if it’s possible accept that there are certain things you cannot change . The rate of progression will vary a huge amount, as peirre says, there are many forms of dementia , each with their own characteristics; it’s also true to say that all will have certain things in common. What you can influence is the care he gets.

At the point where you first guiltily think that you can see there will be a time when he needs full time care, start the ball rolling. Look and see what the options are, be prepared for when that time comes. A good home can be better than struggling between family and carers. Before that stage, just enjoy him as much as you can, if or when he repeats things or forgets stuff, it’s pointless correcting him, go with the flow and suspend critical thinking.

As for going home, imagine yourself as your dad is, would you want your son to upend his family. Probably not. Support him and your sister as much as you can.

Alzheimer’s society has a forum of its own, even just reading is helpful. You are welcome to PM me if you think there is any help I can be.

There is something which helps communication with a PWD called “Compassionate communication with the mentally impaired”
Which surprisingly seems to help when the PWD struggles to understand, and can help defuse difficult situations. I actually printed off a copy of the PDF and stuck it immediately inside the back door of the house, so it was the 1st thing anyone saw/read when they walked in.

Compassionate Communication with the Memory Impaired

by Liz Ayres
A Volunteer of the Alzheimer’s Association and Former Caregiver

DON’T
Don’t reason.
Don’t argue.
Don’t confront.
Don’t remind them they forget.
Don’t question recent memory.
Don’t take it personally.

DO
Give short, one sentence explanations.
Allow plenty of time for comprehension, then triple it.
Repeat instructions or sentences exactly the same way.
Eliminate ‘but’ from your vocabulary; substitute ‘nevertheless.’
Avoid insistence. Try again later
Agree with them or distract them to a different subject or activity
Accept blame when something’s wrong (even if it’s fantasy).
Leave the room, if necessary, to avoid confrontations.
Respond to feelings rather than words
Be patient and cheerful and reassuring. Do go with the flow.
Practice 100% forgiveness. Memory loss progresses daily.
My appeal to you: Please.elevate your level of generosity and graciousness.

Remember

You can’t control memory loss, only your reaction to it. Compassionate communication will significantly heighten quality of life.

They are not crazy or lazy. They say normal things, and do normal things, for a memory impaired, dementia individual. If they were deliberately trying to exasperate you, they would have a different diagnosis. Forgive them … always. For example: they don’t hide things; they protect them in safe places… And then forget. Don’t take ‘stealing’ accusations personally.

Their disability is memory loss. Asking them to remember is like asking a blind person to read. (“Did you take your pills?” “What did you do today?”) Don’t ask and don’t test memory! A loss of this magnitude reduces the capacity to reason. Expecting them to be reasonable or to accept your conclusion is unrealistic. (“You need a shower.” “Day care will be fun.” “You can’t live alone.”) Don’t try to reason or convince them. Give a one sentence explanation or search for creative solutions. Memory loss produces unpredictable emotions, thought, and behavior, which you can alleviate by resolving all issues peacefully. Don’t argue, correct, contradict, confront, blame, or insist.

Reminders are rarely kind. They tell the patient how disabled they are – over and over again. Reminders of the recent past imply, “I remember, I’m okay; you don’t, you’re not. ”Ouch! Refer to the present or the future. (If they’re hungry, don’t inform them they ate an hour ago, offer a snack or set a time to eat soon.) They may ask the same question repeatedly, believing each time is the first. Graciously respond as if it’s the first time. Some days may seem normal, but they are not. They live in a different reality. Reminders won’t bring them into yours. Note: For vascular dementia, giving clues may help their recall. If it doesn’t work, be kind … don’t remind.

Ethical dilemmas may occur. If, for instance, the patient thinks a dead spouse is alive, and truthful reminders will create sadness, what should you do? To avoid distress, try these ways of kindness: 1) distract to another topic, or 2) start a fun activity, or 3) reminisce about their spouse, “I was just thinking about ______. How did you two meet?” You might even try, “He’s gone for a while. Let’s take our walk now.”

Open-ended questions (“Where shall we go?” “What do you want to eat/wear/do?”) are surprisingly complex and create anxiety. Give them a simple choice between two items or direct their choice, “You look great in the red blouse.”

They are scared all the time. Each patient reacts differently to fear. They may become passive, uncooperative, hostile, angry, agitated, verbally abusive, or physically combative. They may even do them all at different times, or alternate between them. Anxiety may compel them to shadow you (follow everywhere). Anxiety compels them to resist changes in routine, even pleasant ones. Your goal is to reduce anxiety whenever possible. Also, they can’t remember your reassurances. Keep saying them.

Examples

Don’t reason

Patient What doctor’s appointment? There’s nothing wrong with me.”
Don’t (reason) “You’ve been seeing the doctor every three months for the last two years. It’s written on the calendar and I told you about it yesterday and this morning.”
DO (short explanation) “It’s just a regular check-up.”
(accept blame) “I’m sorry if I forgot to tell you.”

Don’t argue

Patient “I didn’t write this check for £500. Someone at the bank is forging my signature.”
Don’t (argue) “What? Don’t be silly! The bank wouldn’t be forging your signature.”
DO (respond to feelings) “That’s a scary thought.”
(reassure) “I’ll make sure they don’t do that.”
(distract) “Would you help me fold the towels?”

Don’t confront
Patient “Nobody’s going to make decisions for me. You can go now … and don’t come back!”
Don’t (confront) I’m not going anywhere and you can’t remember enough to make your own decisions.”
DO (accept blame or respond to feelings) “I’m sorry this is a tough time.”
(reassure) “I love you and we’re going to get through this together.”
(distract) “You know what? Don has a new job. He’s really excited about it.

Don’t remind them they forget
Patient: “Joe hasn’t called for a long time. I hope he’s okay.”
Don’t (remind) “Joe called yesterday and you talked to him for 15 minutes.”
DO (reassure) “You really like talking to Joe, don’t you?”
(distract) “Let’s call him when we get back from our walk.”

Don’t question recent memory

Patient “Hello, Mary. I see you’ve brought a friend with you.”
Don’t (question memory) “Hi, Mom. You remember Eric, don’t you? What did you do today?”
DO (short explanation) “Hi, Mom. You look wonderful! This is Eric. We work together.”

Don’t take it personally!

Patient “Who are you? Where’s my husband?”
Don’t (take it personally) “What do you mean – who’s your husband? I am!”
DO (go with the flow, reassure) “He’ll be here for dinner.”
(distract) “How about some milk and cookies?” … Would you like chocolate chip or oatmeal?

Do repeat exactly

Patient “I’m going to the store for a newspaper.”
Don’t (repeat differently) “Please put you shoes on.”
“You’ll need to put your shoes on.”
DO (repeat exactly) “Please put your shoes on.”
“Please put your shoes on.”

Do eliminate “but”, substitute “nevertheless”
Patient “I’m not eating this. I hate chicken.”
Don’t (say “but”) “I know chicken’s not your favorite food, but it’s what we’re having for dinner.”
DO (say “nevertheless”) “I know chicken’s not your favorite food, (smile) nevertheless I’d appreciate it if you’d eat a little bit.”

alz.org/greaterdallas/doc…ionateComm.pdf

You are welcomed to PM me and ask questions, I may know the answer.
The hard work is in the initial stages after diagnosis, with setting up the legal, financial and care packages. But make sure you get these in place soon, then you can support your dad and visit him and your sibling. You have several years yet to enjoy each other’s company before things deteriorate, and you all will soon settle into a day to day route. Maybe spending time on holidays and days out, nights down the pub having a pint or two.
You will laugh and cry together in equal measure, but don’t wrap him in cotton wool and treat him as if he’s fragile, as this is the usual reaction immediately after diagnosis.
Some of the best moments we shared where at local social events run by the AS called memory cafes, and singing for the brain sessions (run by a charity called Lost Chord) if you google those you should find one nearest to you and understand their significance.

Excellent post peirre, very good article. It saves a lot of frustration entering their world, rather than imposing the real world on them.

Excellent advice given there, sorry to hear about your Dad by the way :frowning:

Dementia is more common than people think, in the local authority area where I live near the Stockyard truckstop, there are an estimated 20,000 confirmed diagnosis’s in this LA alone!