Dementia / trucking low risk?

saw something on telly recently where it said its quite common for professionals[doctors,teachers etc ] to get dementia once they retire. now why is that?

just wondering how this job fares in the dementia table?

Judging by some of the posts on here it’s already rife long before retirement.

…Sorry I’ve forgotten what I was going to say :confused:

I dunno about certain professions but anyone diagnosed with dementia/Alzheimer’s
Must notify the DVLA of their condition, and notify their insurance Co
Dvla will assess them and decide IF their licence is to be withdrawn.
Though there are many who can still legally drive once diagnosed in the early stages of the condition. Lifestyle and alcohol consumption are factors that contribute to dementia , & as doctors etc are know drinkers that is where the connection in the OP may be.
FYI there are over 600 different types of Alzheimer’s

Doctor to Mr jones …
Mr jones I have your wife’s test results, but there’s a problem, I’ve acidentally mixed them up with a possible aids case. So I’m not sure if she has aids or dementia!!
How can I tell?.. asks mr jones
Doctor … Take her to the nearest bus stop and leave her there, if she finds her way home don’t shag her

On a more serious not take a look at the movie or read the book titled “still Alice”

^^^ :slight_smile:
I once had dementia and De Ja Vou at the same time. I was sure I had forgotten the same thing before.

Anyway not sure if theres any diffinitive studies on Dementia vs Profession but one would think that doctors and teachers use more long term memory than truck drivers who would utilise a lot of short term memory in locating destnations, forward planning, anticipation, advanced roadcraft, vehcle size awareness etc (obviously to various degrees of success).

Then theres the solitude of long journeys that allow for thinking time and multitasking like making tea, etc. Are our brains more active with processing new information constantly or is this offset by the vegetative states we find ourselves in at RDC’s etc.

I like to think I have an active mind and I was surpised to find I beat all my kids on one of these fun fair reaction tests games, maybe we are better equipped to fend off dementia but with so many other factors involved- diet, lifestyle, genetics are we any better than any other profession.

Its a good out of the box way to recruit more drivers though.i.e. ‘Forget Dementia, Drive a Truck’…

tachograph:

…Sorry I’ve forgotten what I was going to say :confused:

Eh what

Oh cheese on toast please. :wink:

Dipper_Dave:
‘… maybe we are better equipped to fend off dementia but with so many other factors involved- diet, lifestyle, genetics are we any better than any other profession…’

Since lorry drivers are clever at the important stuff and know so much anyway - seeing as how scarce plod are on the roads and VOSA apart, who cares if a little bit falls off the back, eh :exclamation: :question:

:wink: