Lorry Driver dead in high winds accident

A lorry driver was killed when his vehicle was blown over in high winds, which battered parts of the north-east of England and ■■■■■■■■

Police say the 45-year-old was pronounced dead at the scene of the incident, on the northbound M6 near Tebay in ■■■■■■■■ early on Thursday.

A long stretch of the motorway was closed to all traffic for a time as winds gusted up to 70mph.

Elsewhere, roads and rail services were affected by fallen trees and debris.

Northern Rail reported delays between Newcastle and Hexham after a tree fell on the line at Wylam, Northumberland.

Delay journeys

Police urged drivers to travel only if necessary.

In Northumberland, the A68 was closed in both directions due to a fallen tree near Kiln Pit Hill.

A spokesman for the Highways Agency in ■■■■■■■ said: "We had about six incidents in the early hours alone on the M6.

"We’ve basically had to deal with lorries being blown over and blocking carriageways.

"The police asked us to close it totally for a time and we are asking people to delay their journeys if possible and keep an eye on the weather.

“We are not expecting the situation to improve until the afternoon.”

The high winds and rain were expected to move south during the day.

Guys and gals please be safe out there today! If its too windy then don’t be silly and carry on, PULL OVER in a suitable place or simply say you’ll take the load when its safe to do so.

Very sad and our condolences to his family :frowning:

Alex

Scarab:
BBC NEWS | England | Lorry driver dies in 70mph winds

A lorry driver was killed when his vehicle was blown over in high winds, which battered parts of the north-east of England and ■■■■■■■■

Police say the 45-year-old was pronounced dead at the scene of the incident, on the northbound M6 near Tebay in ■■■■■■■■ early on Thursday.

Gulp!!!

It’s stories like this that make you think “is it really worth getting that load to it’s destination today”. Much better I deliver it tomorrow than someone else.

My condolences, I feel for his family.

Stan

very sad, my condolences to the drivers family and friends :cry: :cry: :cry:

as above. :cry:

Our condolences to the family of this driver. Take care all of you out there.

rumour in the yard today, was that this was one of our drivers from heywood depot. I don’t know if true yet or not.

Del949,

Keep us posted if you hear anything, I’d rather hear the facts on hear than the “truth” the news agencies tells us.

I hope Its the only fatality there is today… however its still one too many.

Alex

news.bbc.co.uk/player/nol/newsid … =1&bbcws=1

Not one of our drivers.
Sympathy for the guys family though.

Looked like he was pulling a Miller International trailer, Simon might know him.

RIP and sympathies to the family.

Took this picture as I was going past this am. Didnt know the guy was dead. Certainly puts th-ing-s into perspective. I was complaining of not being able to shut me curtains cos of the wind, at least Im home tonight. My thoughts are with his family

What an strange trailer in front of you.

as said in previous posts condolences to the family
all our thoughts are with you at this sad time

scanialady142:
What an strange trailer in front of you.

Very distinctive aren’t they? they belong to Sealy the bed manufacturers, their factory is not far from where I live in ■■■■■■■■

I heard this on R2 with Lynne this morning. :cry:

My deepest sympathy to the family of one of our brothers.

Ken.

As above

Sympathy and thoughts to the family

:cry:

magnumboy:
Looked like he was pulling a Miller International trailer, Simon might know him.

He was pulling a Millars trailer.
It is my work mate, our UK driver, Richie.

I’m still rather shocked at the news.
I’ll pass on all your kind wishes to his family.

Condolences to the family
all our thoughts are with you all at this sad time

Just like to echo the condolences already posted

Simon:

magnumboy:

He was pulling a Millars trailer.
It is my work mate, our UK driver, Richie.

I’m still rather shocked at the news.
I’ll pass on all your kind wishes to his family.

Simon, that’s awful so sorry to hear that. Hope you’re OK…

My sympathy to you and to his family.

Take Care