Lorries with 9-speed Fuller Roadranger 'boxes

robert1952:
The two German pages of a 9-speed Fuller manual were sent to me some time ago by ERF-Continental, and I was puzzling today over the second diagram, which shows a ‘slap-across’ version of the old Fuller 9. It has just dawned on me that I think this was the 9-speed Fuller pattern that DAF used in the RHD version of the DKSE, when it came out, for UK use. I drove one in the '80s and I’m sure it had one like this. Can anyone confirm it? Robert

That’s certainly as I remember the fuller installation in the 2800 ATI.Personally I think it would have been better to keep the old ZF 12 speed constant mesh splitter in it.

Here are a couple of trucks with 9-speed Fullers:

1. The GMC Astro, which has not yet appeared on this thread - it has a Detroit lump
  2. A Guy Big-J with a small-cam ■■■■■■■ 14-litre

Robert :slight_smile:

small cam ■■■■■■■ 14 litre plus 9speed fuller.jpg

I haven’t looked through all the posts so apologies if anyone has put one of these on already, I drove this Foden Gun Tractor and FH70 Gun and with the Nine Speed Fuller it made the cross country work a lot easier, these also had a two speed transfer box too so choice of 18 cogs if you needed them, 220 Rolls doing the grunting. Cheers Franky.

Frankydobo:
I haven’t looked through all the posts so apologies if anyone has put one of these on already, I drove this Foden Gun Tractor and FH70 Gun and with the Nine Speed Fuller it made the cross country work a lot easier, these also had a two speed transfer box too so choice of 18 cogs if you needed them, 220 Rolls doing the grunting. Cheers Franky.

Nice one Frankydobo. I imagine the KIS principal applied here! Robert :slight_smile:

Here is another example of a RHD U.S. truck (for New Zealand): an International Transtar with ■■■■■■■ 320 and 9-speed Fuller. Robert :slight_smile:

320 ■■■■■■■ and 9-speed Fuller overdrive top RHD.jpg

Hey, found out today in Belgian books that the first TM’s were with RTO9509 overdrive in V6/8.
With the 92 engine they got the 13 speed.

The first Transcon’s '75 with the NTC250 (super 252)15.2 litre non turbo 243hp had the 9 speed Fuller,
the NTC355 308hp was with an 9 or 13 speed available.
The NTC250E was 14 litre turbo with 244hp with 13 speeds.
I think we had not so many choise here as in England, never seen here a ■■■■■■■ in a TM too.

Eric,

@Eric/Tiptop495…I agree with you on the TM…and for which reason would/should mother-company
ignore their own DD-business in favour of other marques like ■■■■■■■ and/or Caterpillar. The last one,
for sure ignored the General Motors Corporation as they also affected their construction-market.

Neyt Trucks of Lokeren was very active with Ford…I am not sure if they supplied the numerous Ford’s
for CAST-containerlines and/or transport-company Yves (dedicated for Ford Genk) as loyal customers.

In both Holland and Belgium the ■■■■■■■ 14 litre, Fuller 9 and 13 speed geraboxes and LHD was offered.

I have only Dutch/Flemish documentation confirming this.

As we learned with the ERF NGC, all that was offered was not always made or bought. This is why I always go for actual known examples of each multiple configuration I record as ‘definite’! The search goes on. Good work, chaps! Robert

Eric showed us much earlier on this thread that the occasional F8 MAN was fitted with the 9-speed Fuller in Belgium. I took great comfort from this, as I always had a soft spot for the F8 MAN; though all the ones I drove had either 13-speed Fullers or 12-speed ZFs in them. I don’t know what this picture of an F8 had by way of transmission, but I found it on a Dutch website: what a beautiful picture, and what a splendid unit! Robert :smiley:

Some new additions to this 9-speed Fuller thread. Robert :slight_smile:

■■■■■■■ 350 fuller 9 transtar.jpg
International Acco TF2670 6x4 ■■■■■■■ 350 6-cyl F9.jpg
stobart Cargos are reported to have had F9 boxes.PNG
Ford US F9 ■■■■■■■ 14.jpg

Now here’s a nice addition to this thread: a Euro-spec LHD Cargo with ■■■■■■■ L10:250, 9-speed Fuller and 13-tonne rear axle. That’s the road-going unit in the picture, not the passenger on the trailer! Robert :smiley:

I notice, too that I have omitted to post on here a US-built CCC Nahang, built specially for export to Iran. They had a ■■■■■■■ NTC 290 and 9-speed Fuller and plied between Iran and Northern Europe. Robert :smiley:

I had the same tractor unit from new for 8 years E.R.F B series RMA259P B.R.S Wrexham .I once drove home from London 200 miles whith clutch cylinder US. To start off put it in bottom gear and drive off using the starter, best to try not to stop but sometimes had to.

This had a 9 speed fuller…220 ■■■■■■■ …“flyer”

Some of the Sisu cabbed Dennisons with RR265 lumps had 9-speed Fullers (others had 13-speed). Several such examples went to John Marsh. Here’s some evidence! Robert :slight_smile:

John Marsh Rolls 265 and 9sp Fuller.jpg

360_302bd0240c49e5d2f82d3965f40fb3df.jpg

From Commercial Motor 20th July 1979:

DUBLIN’S DENNISON Truck Manufacturing has sold its first tractive unit for operation in Britain after two years of production.

John Marsh and Son – Blackpool Van Transport – haulage contractors of Blackpool recently took delivery of a 4 X2 tractive unit powered by a Rolls Royce Eagle 265L turbocharged diesel engine from the Black Church, Rathcoole builder.

All Rolls-Royce L designated engines are designed for slower-speed operation than the standard Eagle engine – at 1900-1950 maximum rpm, compared with the standard Eagle’s 210Orpm.

The Dennison has a 3.2m (10ft 6in) wheelbase and uses a Fuller nine-speed RT 9509C gearbox with widespread ratios, giving an extra-low bottom gear and a direct-drive top gear.

An Eaton 2500-Series single-reduction axle is rated at 11.5 tons and has a ratio of 4.11 to 1.
The frame employs a bolted ladder-type construction with high-grade carbon manganese rails.

Had this 400 with a 9 speed also had a Marathon & Big J on this company with 9 speed we also had a big J with a 10 speed

dinestrucks-1-2.jpg

Dieseldog66:
Had this 400 with a 9 speed also had a Marathon & Big J on this company with 9 speed we also had a big J with a 10 speed

Is this the same one? Robert

dinestrucks-1-3.jpg
dinestrucks-1-4-1.jpg

This one had (or has) a Rolls Royce 220 and 9-speed Fuller. Robert

RR 220bhp Fuller 9 Foden.jpg

And this South African ‘horse’ (unit) with F8 MAN cab had a 9-speed Fuller in it. Robert

RHD F9 box F8 MAN ZA.jpg

Oh, and I understand that these Bedford TM Multi-drives had 9-speed Fullers too! Robert :smiley:

mjThompson_0060b.jpg