Lorries with 9-speed Fuller Roadranger 'boxes

Dan Punchard:

Nice one Dan! I know they had a bit of a reputation for being unreliable, but I rather regret having missed out on driving the Marathon. I always fancied one of those BRS Overland-Iran LHD ones… Robert :smiley:

hey Robert on the brs overland marathons if u get any pics be great if u posted here my cousin worked for them he had lnu139p tks :smiley:

stevejones:
hey Robert on the brs overland marathons if u get any pics be great if u posted here my cousin worked for them he had lnu139p tks :smiley:

Go on the ‘Nottingham bus company Middle-East’ thread; also the Leyland Marathon thread and the Astran Middle-East drivers thread - there’s loads out there. If you can’t find any I’ll dig some out for you. Robert :smiley:

Going back to the International 9670s, I’ve just discovered pictorial evidence of how they breed… Robert :laughing:

tks a lot Robert I have look I actually travelled in my uncles marathon when I was 13 on trip to nurenberg never forget it what a truck to a 13yr old :smiley:

[zb]
anorak:
What a curiosity that Scammell is. The cab is insulated against noise, but the heater is a single-cylinder diesel engine mounted behind the cab! I wonder which was louder- that or the fridge motor? Why did the Russians buy it- they had their Kamaz and 4x4 Tatra tractors for international haulage (plus Hungary had hundreds of 140s and F89s), the latter allegedly readily convertible for military use? Maybe that is the clue- the Scammell was a similar to those used by the British Army, and the Russkies wanted one to examine.

hey Anorak, Aside, there were only a handfull Scania 140’s at Hungarocamion, for political choose
(Communism) Volvo was the better and sold in every Eastern Block country .Only the more independed YU had more Scania’s. And some old one’s were in Albania, along the Liaz Madeira’s.

Bye Eric,

Hey, RTO 9509 (A ■■? )will be soon converted to a 13 speed, because the double drive is only doing 70kph.
Then it will have a double overdrive.

Bye Eric,

tiptop495:
Hey, RTO 9509 (A ■■? )will be soon converted to a 13 speed, because the double drive is only doing 70kph.
Then it will have a double overdrive.

Bye Eric,

Very nice; and a respectable 310 too! Robert :smiley:

Hey Robert thanks for the brochure, I see here a Fuller without overdrive but with A in the typ RT 9509 " A " do you
know what the A means■■? or are here mecanics ■■?
The double drive is MAN, Büssing never made it by them self.
Here made ready for the 8hp/tonne norm, the 320, That engine lived further as a subfloor in the MAN’s
till the 321 MAN engine came.

Bye Eric,

:laughing: I still haven’t quite worked out what the ‘A’ means. At one time I thought it stood for the U-shaped shift-changed but it’s all a bit vague (like ERF coding!). Robert :smiley:

robert,
the A in the gearbox type code denotes the set of ratios, for example close or wide ratio. From memory there were A B and C ratio selections.

burkesimont:
robert,
the A in the gearbox type code denotes the set of ratios, for example close or wide ratio. From memory there were A B and C ratio selections.

Cheers mate, that makes sense! I see this is your first post so allow me to warmly welcome you to the forum. Robert :smiley:

The two German pages of a 9-speed Fuller manual were sent to me some time ago by ERF-Continental, and I was puzzling today over the second diagram, which shows a ‘slap-across’ version of the old Fuller 9. It has just dawned on me that I think this was the 9-speed Fuller pattern that DAF used in the RHD version of the DKSE, when it came out, for UK use. I drove one in the '80s and I’m sure it had one like this. Can anyone confirm it? Robert

Hey, Slap-across the worst thing ever built even for a Fuller. Ours were all changed after a while
to become good ones for good drivers :laughing: :smiley:

Bye Eric,

I had a 1985/6 DKSE and it had the range change on the stick where the splitter would be on a ZF box. So no slap across.

This was a source of confusion to me as I was shocked by all the grinding coming from what I assumed to be a ZF Ecosplit when I drove the Daf for the first time. I had probably gone from what I thought was 2lo into 3hi, which would be 2nd to 7th (not counting the crawler as 1) in the 9spd Fuller that was actually installed in the lorry, no wonder it made a noise :laughing:

Cheers for that! I have to say, I’ve never liked a ‘slap-across’ gear-shift in any lorry. Robert

My father drove an Scania 141 with Fuller.What a beast!!! This gearbox was really hard and needs learn a lot about them.

Kimi79:
My father drove an Scania 141 with Fuller.What a beast!!! This gearbox was really hard and needs learn a lot about them.

Blimey! I’d like to hear a bit more about that. Any more details? Was it a 9-speed or 13-speed? Was it RHD or LHD? Was it a tractive unit? Sorry, this thread gets more like truck-■■■■ by the minute! Ma’alesh: never mind; we all love it, and my questions are most certainly genuine. Robert :laughing: