Lorries with 9-speed Fuller Roadranger 'boxes

I earlier referred to the CCC Nahang, built in USA for export to Iran in the '70s. Nahang, I have discovered, in Farsi means: Whale. Robert :smiley:

farsi whale.jpg

Not (yet) a reason to open a seperate thread on a Seddon Atkinson European, but this 400 from
1975 had a fuller 9-speed offered and (more important) also the ■■■■■■■ NTC335! Wonder why
ERF then “screwed/raped” the Motor Panels 5MW cab so severe as Seddon Atkinson apparently had
no problems to mount the NTC335 in their rather compact cab.

Apologies for the quality of the small leaflet which was handed out at Brussels Show in 1975. Hocké
was previously also importer for Seddon and later had also an outlet in Netherlands.

ERF-Continental:
Not (yet) a reason to open a seperate thread on a Seddon Atkinson European, but this 400 from
1975 had a fuller 9-speed offered and (more important) also the ■■■■■■■ NTC335! Wonder why
ERF then “screwed/raped” the Motor Panels 5MW cab so severe as Seddon Atkinson apparently had
no problems to mount the NTC335 in their rather compact cab.

Apologies for the quality of the small leaflet which was handed out at Brussels Show in 1975. Hocké
was previously also importer for Seddon and later had also an outlet in Netherlands.

Very good find A-J! Perhaps I can post this valuable contribution on the LHD Seddon-Atkinson 400 ‘International’ thread for you. Cheers! Robert :smiley:

This ERF NGC 420 is now known to have had a 9-speed Fuller. Robert

In Patrick Dyer’s new book ERF B, C CP & E-series there is a fascinating snippet on p117 reminding us of the ‘Supertruck’ package, which was a flag-ship (bells and whistles) version of the ERF E14 tractive unit aimed at owner-drivers and prestige small fleets. The option only applied to the NTE 14-litre 320, 350 or 400-engined version with a full sleeper cab. The standard Twin-splitter or SAMT version of it was offered, BUT with the NTE 400 you could opt for a Fuller RTX14609. Perfect!

My questions are:

1. Does anyone know if examples of these NTE 400 / Fuller RTX14609 equipped were actually supplied (and any pics)?
  2. Did any such beasts exist in LHD (we know that there were LHD E14s)?

Robert

I drove a old Foden Ex DOT gritter with a Rolls 290 and a fuller 9speed il have to find the picture also driven a few yanks with 9speed and a old Detroit 6V71 powered Bedford TM"1" and Scammell Crusader with Detroit 8V92 up preferd the Crusader tho :wink:

BIGGSAM:
I drove a old Foden Ex DOT gritter with a Rolls 290 and a fuller 9speed

I drove the S85 DOT gritters when they were new from memory they were 265 Rolls.They were originally fitted with the Foden box and all modified later with 9 speed Fullers.

This Leyland has the 9 speed Fuller box Fitted, Regards Larry,

Carryfast:

BIGGSAM:
I drove a old Foden Ex DOT gritter with a Rolls 290 and a fuller 9speed

I drove the S85 DOT gritters when they were new from memory they were 265 Rolls.They were originally fitted with the Foden box and all modified later with 9 speed Fullers.

Your right it was the 265 Eagle we did convert 1 to a ■■■■■■■ NTC 290 after someone cooked it ! But they where deffo Fuller 9speed in them when we had 4 of them in the mid 90s

Sorry back to topic !

Well I took my transcontinental from Caerphilly to reading area Friday night with 9 speed fuller went like a dream pleasure to drive had some funny looks left hand drive as well regards rowly

rward:
Well I took my transcontinental from Caerphilly to reading area Friday night with 9 speed fuller went like a dream pleasure to drive had some funny looks left hand drive as well regards rowly

Rowly would be nice to see some pictures of your charges sometime, cheers Buzzer.

rward:

Nice to hear of it going well, mate. Robert

Buzzer:
Rowly would be nice to see some pictures of your charges sometime, cheers Buzzer.

I have put some on the F89 parts thread for you Buzzer.

I know I’ve flagged this up before, but in February 1989 Seddon-Atkinson announced that it would offer 9-speed Fullers instead of Twin-splitters on all its models up to and not including 400 bhp (■■■■■■■■■ Has anyone any photo evidence that these were produced / sold? Robert

From Commercial Motor:

From the beginning of March Strata buyers will also be able to specify a nine-speed Fuller RTX11609B gearbox, in place of the standard Eaton TS011612 Twin Splitter 12speed box. The Roadranger option covers all Stratos except for the most powerful 17.40C model fitted with the 298kW (400hp) ■■■■■■■ Super E 14litre engine. The nine-speed rangechange box saves 53kg in kerbweight and 250 on the chassis price. It is being offered in response to demands from rental fleets which feel that spotrental drivers will find it easier than the Twin Splitter to oper ate without any instruction.

Hi Robert, Yes D J Leddington had a Strato with an L10 and 9 sp Fuller,it was a K reg,I have a photo of it on my computer at home,will have a look for you later,Cheer’s Pete

pete smith:
Hi Robert, Yes D J Leddington had a Strato with an L10 and 9 sp Fuller,it was a K reg,I have a photo of it on my computer at home,will have a look for you later,Cheer’s Pete

Brilliant! Thanks Pete. :smiley: Robert

robert1952:

pete smith:

Cannot find the photo of it Robert but the reg no. was K105 XVT and from memory it was new to M.Nield’s from Stoke on Trent

pete smith:

robert1952:

pete smith:

Cannot find the photo of it Robert but the reg no. was K105 XVT and from memory it was new to M.Nield’s from Stoke on Trent

Cheers Pete. Most grateful! Robert

Found this on the photo forum. ■■■■■■■ E290 with Fuller RTX11609 'box. Robert

CuE290 and RTX11609.jpg

There was two 9 speed Fuller Boxes I recall, the lighter one as used in the ERF “A” Series was designated the RTO 609 and from memory it had the crawler gear and 4 over 4 range change. Then there was the most popular box the 9509 which was a heavier box altogether. IIRC our 220 ■■■■■■■ and 180LXB “A” Series units had the lighter box but our 8LXB “A” Series had the heavier 9509 box. We also had a couple of Borderers with the 9509 boxes, one had the 8LXB engine and the other had the 220 ■■■■■■■ engine. All our other Borderers had the RTO 610 Road Ranger boxes. Cheers Bewick.