Long Distance Van Work

Cameron et all are complaining that young people don’t want to work and yet we have a young lad prepared to graft with so many obstacles in his way it is not surprising that many just give up .
This country is just backward

He doesn’t want to graft; he wants to sit on his arse driving around all day like the rest of us. :smiley:

Contraflow:
He doesn’t want to graft; he wants to sit on his arse driving around all day like the rest of us. :smiley:

:grimacing: hat’s off to the kid anyway ,hope he gets his chance

martyh:
…hat’s off to the kid anyway ,hope he gets his chance

As do I… when the time is right.

I really admire the lad’s enthusiasm and tenacity, but his dillusions of being a “particularly good driver” are just that; dillusional. He passed his test four weeks ago.

You’re from Knottingley, right Jonny? I’m no stranger to the area, so I’ll be sure to keep my eyes peeled for you and your fanny magnet clunge mobile. :wink:

I find indeed a really good job board.

indeed.co.uk/Van-Driver-jobs-in-Knottingley

Contraflow:

martyh:

I really admire the lad’s enthusiasm and tenacity, but his dillusions of being a “particularly good driver” are just that; dillusional.

You’re from Knottingley, right Jonny? I’m no stranger to the area so I’ll be sure to keep my eyes peeled for you and your fanny magnet clunge mobile. :wink:

Him thinking he’s a good driver is not unusual ,i daresay that every single member on this forum knows they are the best driver :wink: .Back when i was 19 and driving for the builders merchant i was ■■■■ sure i was the best driver out there ,experience is the only thing to temper that attitude

martyh:
Him thinking he’s a good driver is not unusual ,i daresay that every single member on this forum knows they are the best driver :wink: .Back when i was 19 and driving for the builders merchant i was ■■■■ sure i was the best driver out there ,experience is the only thing to temper that attitude

I think you missed page one. :wink:

Contraflow:

jonnytruckfest:
I’m good at driving…

…said every 19 year old lad just before they rolled their car into a ditch.

Contraflow:

martyh:

Contraflow:

jonnytruckfest:
I’m good at driving…

My point is that even at 19 he should be given the chance ,unlike me and many others he will have to pass a test to drive anything bigger than a van ,his driving test was a lot more involved than mine and many others yet i was allowed to drive 7.5t straight after i passed my test so why so many limitations nowadays when in theory he should be a safer driver than i ever was .I have spent a lot of years on building sites and it’s the same thing there ,a 16-17yr old school leaver cannot be employed because of insurance and lack of experience and i’m sure other industries are the same.We want the kids to work and have a good work ethic but make it nigh on impossible for anyone under 20 to actually get a job apart from burger flippin

You’re from Knottingley, right Jonny? I’m no stranger to the area, so I’ll be sure to keep my eyes peeled for you and your fanny magnet clunge mobile. :wink:
[/quote]
Lol quality i just giggled like a kid

Contraflow:

martyh:

Contraflow:

jonnytruckfest:
I’m good at driving…

Well, if anyone drove my car (or anything like mine) they would know driving like an idiot in this thing is nigh on impossible unless your clinicly insane. :laughing:

For a new driver I’d say I’m doing good, have already had a trip out to brid (No map or sat nav needed as well :stuck_out_tongue: ) I’ve been near on all over Yorkshire, the next big venture will be when I take a trip upto Scotland to see family…and not letting mum and Dad know until I get there (a promise i made to my god dad) I’ll make no question about driving being in my blood and no way am i gods gift to driving…but having comments about how well the car looks since I’ve taken it on as my own (mam barely drove it…car only had 31000 miles since i started driving it) and out of all my mates who do drive, they think I’m the better driver also having a better looked after car despite their cars being 2008-2013 reg cars.

There’s no appeal to me driving like an idiot, and when watching shows like ■■■■■■■■■■■■ drivers it ■■■■■■ me off how they ger rewarded with a bloody car when the likes of me has to make do. But I’ll keep my opinions on that elsewhere, and maybe I am trying to bite off more than I can chew, but unless someone gives me that chance I’ll never know…after all I’m trying to get that start without the help of my dad etc as id rather find that chance and earn it than it be handed to me on a plate :slight_smile:

Cheers

Jonny :sunglasses:

jonnytruckfest:
I havent had an accident on the distance Ive traveled.

You’ve been driving less than a month, I would hope you haven’t!

jonnytruckfest:
it would be nice to earn some money doing something I enjoy and am particularly good at :slight_smile:

Particularly good at? Again, you’ve been driving less than a month and have a
LOT to learn. In the future, when you’ve been driving Class1 for a few years, re read your comments on this thread and you’ll be embarrassed about how cocky you sound when you’ve no idea.

MikeCunn:

jonnytruckfest:
I havent had an accident on the distance Ive traveled.

You’ve been driving less than a month, I would hope you haven’t!

jonnytruckfest:
it would be nice to earn some money doing something I enjoy and am particularly good at :slight_smile:

Particularly good at? Again, you’ve been driving less than a month and have a
LOT to learn. In the future, when you’ve been driving Class1 for a few years, re read your comments on this thread and you’ll be embarrassed about how cocky you sound when you’ve no idea.

I don’t sound cocky at all :unamused: some areas I probably do. But whatever you say.

Give him a break, hes probarbly a better driver at 19 then half of you scruffy dvd watching while driving knuckedraggers! im not saying your all like that but believe you me when I was pulling containers out of fxt docks the majority of drivers looked like tramps and were as thick as zb!!!

Most drivers, including those with lots of experience, think they are “better than average.” They don’t know that they aren’t because nobody ever looks at their driving.

Only a few are sensible and take an advanced driving course. Only then do they find out all the things they didn’t know because before they didn’t know they didn’t know!

Contraflow:

martyh:

I really admire the lad’s enthusiasm and tenacity, but his dillusions of being a “particularly good driver” are just that; dillusional. He passed his test four weeks ago.

LOL mad head.

jonnytruckfest:
I don’t sound cocky at all :unamused: some areas I probably do. But whatever you say.

Reread what Mike wrote and you’ll reliase a few years down the road that when you look back on this thread that you are sounding cocky…

He could be a brilliant driver. Some people are naturally gifted! :wink:

I read what Mike wrote, a few years down the line I’ll be thinking I was playing my cards to see what offers are on the table before making a move. Being ambitious and being cocky are two completely different things, the only problem is people confuse the two most of the time.

If anyone from here wanted to challenge me on how crap my driving is I’d welcome them to sit in the passenger seat on a trip to the coast. The reason I haven’t took an advanced driving course is simply because first and foremost money. When I take my assessment drive in the lorry in the next month or 2 and the instructor tells me to get some more experience first then I’ll happily admit defeat. But if they think I’m ready then so be it. I’m not in a willy waving contest to see whose the best driver, I’m purely chasing ones childhood dream of driving a lorry and eventually moving on to bigger things after that.

And for me it will be the first time being in the drivers side of the lorry not the passenger side, most lads my age who’ve been away with their dads/family have had a little shot in the lorry. Ironically my dad let my older brother have ago in the lorry and it put him right off them :laughing: But for me it’s a long time coming and I know I’m inexperienced but then again back in the day someone of my age would have passed their test one day and be thrown a set of lorry keys the next and had no other training but to be told to get on with it.

So if you want to class my attitude as cocky that’s your opinion, but I’m only giving my opinion. Never said I was the best driver, and I definitely probably won’t be but for someone whose only been driving a month I’d say I was doing good. Because the best experience is on the road experience, hence why I’ve done quite a few miles this month because when I’ve had time I’ve picked up the keys and gone out for a drive because that’s the only way I’m going to learn is when I’m on the road.

And to be fair, when you’re young if you want to get anywhere you have to be a little cocky. How else are you going to push yourself to do bigger and better things. Because if I believed everything people told me, I wouldn’t be hear trying to become a lorry driver right now :wink:

Cheers

johnny the training provider wont say your need more exp,they just say you need more lesson time and charge so.
I remember this type of thread with you leaving colleage.you dont take advice so why bother asking anything as you will just steam in.ive saw a few cars after there great young driver has smashed there skull through the back of there head.maybe apply for jobs and not tell anyone till you get one

For the record I do take advice, I just use what I can. I was in a very bad place when I was in college, thankfully not in the same situation now. Now it’s just a case of trying to find work doing what I enjoy. And maybe I shall do that, who knows I may have found that job I’ve been after for a long time :slight_smile: . Time will only tell though

Cheers