Long Distance Van Work

Evening folks,

Thought I would ask on here as I normally get good feedback, just wondering if anybody knows of any companies whom does Long Distance van work whom are taking on at the moment. I know it’s a long shot but never know your luck in a raffle and all that.

Cheers

Jonny :sunglasses:

As said else where mainly the poles have taken over the long distance stuff gba do take on as do nighttrunker but nighttrunker or uk express as it is also know you rent the van off then with insurance and what’s left after fuel is yours usually not much

Try the courier forums , you never know your luck . Not sure there is much around though , and it also depends on your location . Good luck though :smiley:

I thought you wanted to be a lorry driver, have you gave up the dream to drive vans?

I do want to drive lorries, but getting experience driving vans builds my driving experience up as well as getting knowledge of the UK road networks. Working ones way up and all that, plus that and I love to drive so it would be nice to earn some money doing something I enjoy and am particularly good at :slight_smile:

Cheers

What’s happened to the car sales job?

Not sure how old you are but guessing about my age :laughing: . I started on long distance van driving for 8 months, I wouldn’t recommend it to anybody. Long hours, crap money, stopping only for a toilet break, surprising how easy it is to overload a van too. only plus side i found was i got to travel all over including some of europe, id never get that chance in a lorry. If you do get an opportunity, buy some match sticks to prop your eyes open :laughing: :laughing:

mac12:
What’s happened to the car sales job?

The lad before me was in for 45 minutes nearly. My interview didnt even last 20 minutes :laughing: so I’m not holding my breath, besides I’m good at driving so makes sense trying to get a job doing something I’m good at :slight_smile:

maga:
Not sure how old you are but guessing about my age :laughing: . I started on long distance van driving for 8 months, I wouldn’t recommend it to anybody. Long hours, crap money, stopping only for a toilet break, surprising how easy it is to overload a van too. only plus side i found was i got to travel all over including some of europe, id never get that chance in a lorry. If you do get an opportunity, buy some match sticks to prop your eyes open :laughing: :laughing:

19, 20 in August. The plans to do my Class C in august but I want to have a secure job driving vans or something of the like as I’ve not many commitments and doing something i enjoy naturally. Only thing missing out of that scenario is the job :laughing:

Cheers

Having van driving experience and knowledge of the UK road network isn’t going to help getting a class 2 job tbh mate.

Van driving and lorry driving are completely different and all you need is a map to have knowledge of the road network.

Very true mate, but until I can afford my Class C training it’s a good compromise lol :slight_smile:

Cheers

Get an SIA door supervisor card(about 500quid, 220 if you do it through Learn Direct) then get a job as security guard, save up money, get your class2 class1 done. And the salary is around 7 quid an hour, depending of where you live.

Its a lot more realistic to save up the money that way, than searching for something that is on the verge of extinction.

Good luck finding someone to insure you! Sorry to be blunt, but that’s the way it is kid. :wink:

LR18-8:
Having van driving experience and knowledge of the UK road network isn’t going to help getting a class 2 job tbh mate.

Van driving and lorry driving are completely different and all you need is a map to have knowledge of the road network.

Don’t really agree with this statement. From the age of 18 passing my test I went straight on the vans at my firm gave me a good understanding of working out on the road and all it entails. Then 7.5 ton class 2 as it was then and finally class 1. It’s all about the learning curve and all experience good and bad helps in the future. Don’t try to run before you can walk is an adage my Old man used to spout and it’s stood me well over my 26yr driving career. Go for it mate :wink:

maga:
I wouldn’t recommend it to anybody. Long hours, crap money, stopping only for a toilet break, surprising how easy it is to overload a van too. only plus side i found was i got to travel all over including some of europe, id never get that chance in a lorry. If you do get an opportunity, buy some match sticks to prop your eyes open :laughing: :laughing:

ditto the above then theres the 300m run, and “when your tipped pick up at??” another 90m ,to go to etc .then you suddenly realise its @ 20 hrs since you started out,your nackered and all you can do is grab a couple of hours across the seats. you finally get home ,get into bed and about 2hrs later the phone rings… great!!

The main problem is the van job is on its arse due to Pollocks running for much less than a mars bar

bigvern1:
Good luck finding someone to insure you! Sorry to be blunt, but that’s the way it is kid. :wink:

+1

Your age is gonna let you down at the moment, most employers stipulate a minimum age of 25(Ours is 30) for insurance reasons. also you only just passed your test which will hold you back. try getting on with agencies and do some multidropping

Unfortunately so, I know it would be a long shot regarding my age but you never know your chances. There was a job near mine going for a van driver delivering bathroom parts nationwide etc away 2-3 days a week. The bloke told me if not for my age I would have had the job :frowning: Gutted!

Bring on my 21st birthday…Next year :frowning: :laughing: Just have to keep plodding with the agency work for the time being!

Cheers

As others have said, age will be a big set back but that’s not to say it can’t be done if that’s what you want to do. I was 18 and had just finished 6th form when I started on the vans. As well as trying transport specific companies you should try all kinds of different companies. I worked for an air conditioning/building company taking ductwork all over the UK and sometimes Germany/France. These types of companies won’t have the nicest vans though (mine was a 10 year old vauxhall curtain sided thing with sleeper pod.)

Although I felt it was terrible (mainly the company) it did set me up well for the class 2 job I have now.

Johnny may i wsk what makes you a skilled driver.you have not long passed you cannot and will not be "skilled"yet.your still learning

jonnytruckfest:
I’m good at driving…

…said every 19 year old lad just before they rolled their car into a ditch.