livestock

I fancy having a crack at livestock, can anyone reccomend firms, I live south Lincs, but willing to travel for right job, uk or european travel not a problem

Don,t think you can just “have a crack at livestock”,its not like doing a trunk or carting 26 pallets of widgets about.If you,ve worked in agriculture with livestock,your part of the way there but its the usual "who you know"scenario that will help,livestock haulage is a small world and beaurocracy is also creeping into it,don’t mean to be negative,hope this helps

Davyboy is right !

have you got your Certificate of Competence ?

defra.gov.uk/foodfarm/farman … aining.htm

( Sorry but don’t know any firms in your area)

There is very little European work

users.globalnet.co.uk/~kale/liveexport.htm

It’s certainly not a job you can just walk into, having said that, everyone has to start somewhere otherwise there’d be no livestock drivers working at alll. It’s a very enjoyable job but certainly not easy. I suggest you go to a large livestock market & see what goes on, or go to a large livestock haulier & see if you could ride shotgun for a shift or two to see if the job’s for you or in fact if you feel you’re right for the job.

We used to have a lot of cattle hauliers round these parts but the famers have started moving a lot of stock themselves & when coupled with market closures, I’m afraid driving jobs in that line of work are very thin on the ground. I know there are several big slaughter houses in your part of the world but I’d have thought you’re in a mainly arable county aren’t you & would probably have to ravelt to find the right company.

BB

Thanks all for the replies, granted I know its not an easy job, if it were everyone would be trying it, I have little knowledge of animal welfare.

Gonna try few friends from Cheltenham, then up north,

again cheers

UJ

Also,know this may sound strange but it helps if yu can “talk the talk” ie be able to discuss stock,market prices,etc basically have the “crack” with farmers,stockmen,market workers,its not just a job,more a way of life thing,you’re not dealing with booking in clerks,its guys who have a vested interest in seeing the job through,hard to explain but anybody who has done this job will know wot i’m talking about

Davyboy:
Also,know this may sound strange but it helps if yu can “talk the talk” ie be able to discuss stock,market prices,etc basically have the “crack” with farmers,stockmen,market workers,its not just a job,more a way of life thing,you’re not dealing with booking in clerks,its guys who have a vested interest in seeing the job through,hard to explain but anybody who has done this job will know wot i’m talking about

That`s so true, when I left school one of the first jobs I had was working in the warehouse of a large feed mill and the amount of farmers who would spend time talking and offering me work because I took an intrest and would show my face at the local markets. Unfortunately the depot closed and I moved on.

UnionJack:
Thanks all for the replies, granted I know its not an easy job, if it were everyone would be trying it, I have little knowledge of animal welfare.

Gonna try few friends from Cheltenham, then up north,

again cheers

UJ

You might mean the Gilder family, there’s not many livestock hauliers with more collective years of experience than that family. I once knew Graham, Gordon & Peter & their father (Grampy) before them but I’ve been away from it for many years now & I miss it too. It’s a job you never get out of your system if you enjoyed doing it as I did. You could do a lot worse than dip your toe in the water & see if you like the idea.

Best of luck

BB