Livestock haulage for a newly qualified driver?

Ok so im having no joy with trying to get my foot in the door for class 2 work with agencies being a newbie. 2 years experience bla bla bla and all that usual [zb]. Anyway being a farmers son and living on a farm with stock all my life i would really like to get into livestock haulage. Always has appealed to me. Does anyone know of any hauliers who would be willing to take on a young willing lad whos keen to learn around Cheshire area ? Or even ways of getting in to this kind of work ? Wouldnt mind traveling a few mile being given the chance either. If anyone on here knows of anything or anyone that may be of some help i’d much appreciate it.

Ive just googled livestock transport cheshire and only 2 firms popped up,can you dad buy you a lorry and start your own transport for him and his farming mates,im sure you will be able to get a cheap second hand flatbed and stick a removable livestock body on it,good idea or what :bulb: :bulb: :wink: :wink:

Thanks. Yeah doesn’t seem to be hardly anyone doing it around here. Not in a big way anyway. Haha that is a good idea actually mate. Perhaps ill have to start talking nicely to my dad lol :grimacing:

What about equine transport.They go all over Europe for events.Parkers?
If you want to relocate to Somerset,try Georges Ltd at Bruton.Livestock hauliers.Or go to the markets and speak to the drivers about jobs.
There is dead animal transport,not pleasant winching a bloated cow infested with maggots and flies.

toby1234abc:
If you want to relocate to Somerset,try Georges Ltd at Bruton.Livestock hauliers.Or go to the markets and speak to the drivers about jobs.
There is dead animal transport,not pleasant winching a bloated cow infested with maggots and flies.

WTF :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :wink: :wink: :wink:

Dont you need other qualifications to do livestock :question:

Send Denis F a pm as he does livestock but a bit to far south for you he may be able to answer some of your questions

seth 70:

toby1234abc:

WTF :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :wink: :wink: :wink:

Yep exactly :laughing: :laughing:

The OP was asking for help in finding work,so why the WTF, what is wrong with horse transport, and dead animal collection,a farmers son will not mind the smell.?

The only haulier I know up that way is Wick Williams, who does your Dads haulage?

I would have thought there’s a lot of dairy cows in Cheshire so there must be somebody there !

Ang is right about needing certificates, but I’m sure you know that.

Yeah Denis, Wick took a load of cattle of ours to woolleys a few years back. And yeah you are right there is a lot of dairy herds in and around Chesire and North Wales so there must be transport around it’s just i dont know of many companies by name as I think they must be mainly small outfits perhaps. We use a small local haulier who has a couple of rigids and a van with stock box on. But we usually run to the markets with tractor and trailer with a box my dad converted from the old bedford lorry as we dont have that far to go. Yeah i’m aware of the certificates needed.

So im guessing driving a horse box or collecting dead animals and moving to the other end of england to get a job is not what you had in mind ,racrewe :question: :question: :wink: :wink: :unamused: :unamused:

Well i’m not sure how i’d get on with horses ha. Moving far away to get work would be cool but thats another story lol. And lets just say i’d have to be bloody desperate to pick up deadstock for a living :grimacing: :laughing:

There is one sure advantage of dead stock , - you won`t be kicked by them .

Cheers , cattle wagon man.

Haha very true words mr cattle wagon man ! :laughing:

Believe me , cattle , - especially suckler calves , - have a powerful kick . Standing nearer to them is better as there is
less speed momentum from the offending beast.
As for horses ,…let the owners lead them at all times.

Good luck with your chosen future profession.

Cheers , cattle wagon man.

got one raycrewe,l e jones from north wales,is that too far :question: website looks ok and they run good kit :wink:

Seth i think LE Jones only run artics nowadays though. Only got my class 2 at the moment. But yeah nice tidy fleet wouldn’t mind working for them at all.

Racrewe1993:
Seth i think LE Jones only run artics nowadays though. Only got my class 2 at the moment. But yeah nice tidy fleet wouldn’t mind working for them at all.

Stockmen are hard to come by nowadays ,give them a tinkle i bet they would consider putting you thru your class 1,animals are harder to handle than lorrys,i bet a firm of that size would have a driver trainer to take you out,give it a shot racrewe nowt to lose m8 :laughing: :laughing:

I have loaded pigs.They are naughty blighters and will have you running around like a headless chicken.
I am sure they are laughing at us.You can see them smiling.Heifers can be a nightmare.Bad teenagers to describe them.
A cow with it’s calf is a danger.
They go mental if their young are under threat.
Are Gilders too far to work for? Away all week.

Thats true Seth, I’ll have to give them a bell. Yeah you are right Toby so i believe. I’ve not done pigs just cattle and sheep. Probably would be. Depends if i can get anything closer really though but not having much luck as of yet. :unamused:

Racrewe1993:
Thats true Seth, I’ll have to give them a bell. Yeah you are right Toby so i believe. I’ve not done pigs just cattle and sheep. Probably would be. Depends if i can get anything closer really though but not having much luck as of yet. :unamused:

How you got on racrewe,did you give them a ring :question: :question: