Livestock Movements Banned

All movements of livestock have been banned following a positive test for foot & mouth disease in a farm near Guildford.

news.sky.com/skynews/article/0, … 56,00.html

Here we go again…

get to Tesco quick for my sunday roast then :exclamation: :exclamation: :wink: :wink:

As someone with connections to the farming community, and a past deeply embedded amongst them, I was filled with dread when I saw this on the news last night. My heart goes out to them, it really does. :cry:

Same here, Lucy! As I sit here typing this, I can look out the window and see the next door neighbours calves playing in the fields all around. He’s a great guy and I really hope he doesn’t lose them all like last time

they have had the mad cow version down here since 1987 when the mother in law moved ere :smiley:

lets just hope its contained to one area and cleared up quickly,them burning pyrers are not the best of sights.

good luck to the farming community.

i hope it doesn’t affect denis to much, thats his game isn’t it.

biggusdickusgb:
i hope it doesn’t affect denis to much, thats his game isn’t it.

looks like a few unpaid days off :wink: got to clarify rules on moving wool off farms on monday - hoping to be able to keep going with that :open_mouth:

looks like some scientists let it go from a lab so hopefully it can be contained in surrey and cleared up quickly!!

probably ought to include the scientists in the cull :wink: :laughing: :laughing:

Is it an absolute ban on livestock movements? The reason I ask is that I passed a livestock truck loaded with sheep on the A55 on Saturday night, he’d been pulled over by plod so quickly that they hadn’t even waited to get him into a layby. I’m interested because I used to work for the haulier in question, and the term ‘dodgy geezer’ doesn’t even begin to cover it… If I find out he’s put farms in danger by moving animals illegally, I’ll go mad :imp: :imp: :imp:

plannerman:
Is it an absolute ban on livestock movements? l:

yes :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

here we go again (hope not)

Denis F:

plannerman:
Is it an absolute ban on livestock movements? l:

yes : shock: :open_mouth:

Even as far as the police closing the A31 in Surrey on Saturday for 6 hours cos a deer was run over and killed!!! The corpse had to be tested,why this wasnt done on the side of the carriageway is anybody’s guess. :unamused:

From the North Wales Daily Post - this must have been the truck I saw

"On Saturday evening North Wales Police were alerted by the public to a sheep wagon parked up in a layby at Llanfairfechan. It contained breeding sheep destined for Anglesey farmers bought at the Bicester sheep sales, not far from the Surrey outbreak.

Police checked the drivers’ documentation and the lorry was allowed to proceed."

:open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Obviously one rule for some, one rule for others. Any idea why this move would have been ok, Denis?

I did a300 mile trip (by car) on Sunday and I would have lost count of the number of horse boxes, either the posh coach built versions of the type tagged on behind the 4x4 that was on the road

Aren`t horses livestock, most of them probably live of farms?

Horses are not generally included.

From the start of the ban any journeys already started may be continued if not to or from the protection or surveilance zones. It is possible that the sheep on the A55 had already begun their journey. I’m sure that Denis F would know more about the intricate details though :slight_smile:

We have a smallholding (very small!) and had just geared up to have pigs to be ready for Xmas. There goes another plan out of the window :cry: It does look as if it may be contained and that it will not become an outright epidemic; with any luck the movement ban may become regional fairly soon if no more cases are reported.

plannerman:
From the North Wales Daily Post - this must have been the truck I saw

"On Saturday evening North Wales Police were alerted by the public to a sheep wagon parked up in a layby at Llanfairfechan. It contained breeding sheep destined for Anglesey farmers bought at the Bicester sheep sales, not far from the Surrey outbreak.

Police checked the drivers’ documentation and the lorry was allowed to proceed."

there were 21000 sheep at Thame sheep fair (Bicester) on friday ! most had left by the time the ban was introduced (21.40 Fri night) 3500 were left which were moved to Worcester market to be checked for signs of F & M - I’m not sure what happened after that, maybe they licenced them to move on again on saturday after inspection ?

Guilford and Bicester aren’t very close (70 miles or so) but I believe some sheep at the sale had travelled up from the Guildford area

I couldn’t take a fridge full of ice cream yesterday to France bearing in mind it was most probably made 3 months ago …the country will be on it’s knees again :imp:

Tobyjug:
I did a300 mile trip (by car) on Sunday and I would have lost count of the number of horse boxes, either the posh coach built versions of the type tagged on behind the 4x4 that was on the road

Aren`t horses livestock, most of them probably live of farms?

Horses aren’t subject to the same restrictions as sheep/cattle or pigs :imp:

British Horse Society press release

Foot and mouth disease outbreak

The British Horse Society welcomes steps taken by the Government to date to contain the foot and mouth disease outbreak near Guildford Surrey

No restrictions have been placed on horse movements outside of the 3km protection zones around the affected premises.

Full details of the extent of these zones can be found on the Defra website defra.gov.uk/news/latest/200 … m#briefing

However, horses can only be moved in or out of the 3km protection zones under licence. Within the zone horses cannot be moved from premises to premises where there are susceptible animals on the same premises, except under licence.

Horse boxes and trailers cannot be moved from premises within the 3km protection zone, where susceptible animals are kept except under licence.

Mark Weston, Director of Access, Safety and Welfare said: “Whilst there are no restrictions on horse movements outside of the 3km protection zone it is important that all horse owners and riders are vigilant and do everything they can to help prevent the spread of the disease and observe the highest of bio security measures on and off their own yards.”

Frequently Asked Questions:-

Q. I live inside the protection zone - can I take my horse to a competition?

A. Horses within the protection zone cannot be moved out of the zone except under licence. Within the zone they cannot be moved from premises to premises where there are susceptible animals on the same premises.

Q. I live inside the protection zone — can I take my horse to the vet?

A. See answer to above question — if you need to take your horse to the vet you should contact your vet first to see if you can take it there without needing to get a licence.

Q. Where do I get a licence from?

A. From your local animal health division — contact details for these can be found via the following link defra.gov.uk/animalhealth/ab … ffices.htm

Q. I live outside the protection zone - what are the restrictions on me and my horse?

A. Currently there are none except that you cannot take your horse into the protection zones without a licence.

Q. Can my horse get FMD?

A. No.

Q. Can I take my horse abroad?

A. Yes. However if your horse lives within a protection zone you cannot take it out of the protection zone except under licence.

Q. Can I still use public rights of way?

A. Yes, there may though be restrictions within the protection zone.

Q. What animals are susceptible to foot and mouth disease?

A. Among farm stock, cattle, sheep, pigs and goats are susceptible as are llamas and alpacas. Some wild animals such as hedgehogs, coypu and any wild cloven footed animals such as deer and zoo animals including elephants can also contract it.