LHV's (longer heavier vehicles) (Road Trains)

Hello guys n gals :smiley:

Have any of you read up on this? There is a possibility they might be doing a trial on our uk roads. These look massive vehicles … between 25.25 and 30 metres in length and between 60 and 84 tonnes in weight. (The current limit for heavy goods vehicles (HGVs) is 44 tons) It looks like a class c wagon pulling a 40 ft trailer to me. It says the rail freight could be halved in the next few years if the goverment allows these vehicles on our roads.

I wonder if we would need to sit a test in able to drive these in addition to our C +E licence? Our depot certainly wouldn’t be big enough to accomodate anything this big (never turn it round in our yard). I think it would be more efficient to run this type of vehicle in certain circumstances that would be very cost effective.

What do you think?

Industry efficiency?

Denby Transport has submitted an application for the 60 ton Denby Eco Link lorry, which is divided into two trailers and is 83ft long. The maximum for HGVs at present is 62ft.

A report on the scheme is also being drawn up for Transport Minister Dr Stephen Ladyman.

The RHA said the lorry would only travel on motorways between regional distribution centres.

"There are 428,000 trucks registered and if we could reduce that number to have one truck for every two - we’re all for it.

“The whole industry wants to run efficiently, it would make commercial and environmental sense,” a spokesman said.

Stephen Joseph, director of Transport 2000, said road trains “have no place on Britain’s country lanes and town centres”.

Cheers Nige :smiley:

This was brought up a while ago, Krankee drove the Denby one and posted a quick review of the drive somewhere here. I think another company made a similar prototype, can’t remember who, but both are trying to get approval. But we’re EU slaves now so presumably has to be an EU wide approval, not just UK.

Kiowan:
This was brought up a while ago, Krankee drove the Denby one and posted a quick review of the drive somewhere here. I think another company made a similar prototype, can’t remember who, but both are trying to get approval. But we’re EU slaves now so presumably has to be an EU wide approval, not just UK.

Stan Robinson from Stafford.

LHV trials in doubt?

Check out the Denby road train thread. :wink:

yes it would save a fortune in driver wages train driver 35 k for 35 hours yruck driver 80 hours includeing poa ;s ha ha 30 k