Laughable Rates

Im sure this forum is frequented by a sensible aray of operators and drivers from a varied field of road transport so could i ask what sort of rate would you quote for a 40’ load twice a week from
Keighley to Burton on Trent? ongoing as the rate we were asked to quote against was laughable we declined the work.

would that job be from a firm that makes underlay or metal tubes by any chance?

RobK:

:laughing:

Goaty:

RobK:

:laughing:

Come on, you’re a current owner driver with all the answers, apparently, so help the guy out. I am looking forward to the responses to this question from you owner drivers hence why I have my popcorn.

Off you go… >

A quick check gives a mileage of 103 miles each way. Postcodes would fine tune this though.

What is the load ?

What does it weigh?

What are the dimensions?

What type of trailer is required?

Are there any time restrictions? (loading or tipping).

Will RHA 1300 p/t cover the GiT?

You said a 40’ load, in theory this would leave 5’ on a standard tautliner.

Are there any stillages or pallets to return?, bearing in mind it’s a regular job.

i’d price it at £295.76p one way per load :smiley:

£240 would suffice for me…

SHYTOT:
Im sure this forum is frequented by a sensible aray of operators and drivers from a varied field of road transport so could i ask what sort of rate would you quote for a 40’ load twice a week from
Keighley to Burton on Trent? ongoing as the rate we were asked to quote against was laughable we declined the work.

So, what was the laughable rate then ■■?

Were our intrepid truckers @ £2.87 + £2.33 PPM, one way, too expensive, or, not that far off ■■?

Eitherway, you need to load both ways, to make a decent living, AND, be paid in 30 days IMO :open_mouth:

In answer to some of your questions
Product Unknown, Weight Unknown,
What i can tell you is we were asked to quote for full trailer loads from Keighley to Burton on trent twice a week ongoing but when we were told the rate we were quoting against we declined to quote
and that rate was £290. and Mr V8actros if your in West Yorkshire give me your number as i will
sub you all our work and sell our trucks.

SHYTOT:
What i can tell you is we were asked to quote for full trailer loads from Keighley to Burton on trent twice a week ongoing but when we were told the rate we were quoting against we declined to quote
and that rate was £290. and Mr V8actros if your in West Yorkshire give me your number as i will

Pretty sure he was taking the ■■■■ as no OD would make any money on that price. I could be wrong though? :open_mouth:

I dont think you can make any money at £290 but i may be wrong, only the large hauliers could quote
low rates as they know where to get a decent return / ongoing load but i belive every load should pay
a fair rate with or without a return load.

I reckon mr Bilton would be doing it as a backload at that rate. I believe his regular work is from the Newark area. :neutral_face:

i hope that rate was each way and not for a round trip, if so your were right to refuse the job

SHYTOT:

I am pretty sure if I had a contract to run loaded trailers from Burton to keighley and return empty, and I could arrange a drop and swap with these loads I could make money on a lot less than £290 - and that is the problem, one of the “Logistic” companies could combine this with an existing contract and do it at what seems suicidal rates but is in fact almost pure profit. where a smaller haulier probably hasnt got that sort of contract infrastructure in place

All that said, what i proposed above is a hypothetical case and relies on a company being lucky enough to have another contract that ties in , if you can back load out of the area at a half decent rate then over £2 pm isnt the worst rate I have ever heard of, I know of one firm up here at the moment is offering Teesside to South Wales at £11 per tonne for 23 tonne loads

If if’s n but’s were apple’s n nut’s there would be no starvation in this world.

SHYTOT:
If if’s n but’s were apple’s n nut’s there would be no starvation in this world.

True… but to take just one sector of the industry that is dominated by the logistics companies… the brewery sector… now can you think of two cities that have a thriving brewery industry?

put it that way I am not so far of the mark… and if you want another … both Leeds and Burton have brick yards… both ■■■■■■■ with the logistics companies running the transport…

Both derby and leeds have major aero engine plants that need parts

all of a sudden the hypothetical situation isnt so far fetched :slight_smile:

Rikki-UK:

SHYTOT:

True… but to take just one sector of the industry that is dominated by the logistics companies… the brewery sector… now can you think of two cities that have a thriving brewery industry?

put it that way I am not so far of the mark… and if you want another … both Leeds and Burton have brick yards… both ■■■■■■■ with the logistics companies running the transport…

Both derby and leeds have major aero engine plants that need parts

Go on, get away, clear off to your own end :stuck_out_tongue:

But should we be robbing peter to pay paul i dont think so, and hauliers talk about return loads as if there is no additional effort or cost but in fact some times they are more trouble than they are worth.

Rates depend on many factors, what is a bad rate for one hauler, is right for the other one, because he can make the combination.
Even in Tanker transport there is less and less dedicated where you can come empty back, in the past we would come empty back from as far as Spain, because the time we saved, to get the next High paying load on was more worth than the hassle and the price what was paid for a back load.
Nowadays with a lot less loads, not such a good prices, you have to take sometimes the 2 loads together to make that bit extra, what gives you a bit of a grin on you face.
The Irish where in the past the masters of that…only they did two loads one way, 24 ton steel under 20 ton hanging meat, so they didn’t exceed the 44ton…payload :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

What would be a laughable rate?? I think if nobody would do it anymore for that rate, but if I see where companies now drive for to Italy is much less as we use to get 20 years ago. So it asks much more from a Hauler and his planning department to make it all paid, and before we take the job on we need to know if there is any backloads available for the right price.
This circle of rates spiralling down can only be stopped if all haulers in Europe would stick together, and for that there is more chance that you see the Queen riding the monster of Loch Ness chased by Robin Hood
:grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: