Artic rates

We’re only running Sprinter vans at the moment but have been asked by 1 of our customers to supply rates for an artic trailer load once a week. He knows we’ll have to sub it and before I go asking any of the locals for prices, I thought I’d ask here for some average pence per mile rates please.

I’m not asking for any secrets or specifics, just some average prices and costs would be nice please. I know it can be “how long is a piece of string” but I’m in need of some help. I feel way out of touch on this 1!

I think to get a serious answer we would need to know distance, weight of goods and area (a good backload can make all the difference)

If he’s going to sub it Rikki he won’t be worried about a backload :smiley:
Zebadee, what type of equipment is required for the load?
Type of destination, Port, RDC,

I’d thought of all that Rikki but I was realy after a price per mile if poss.

Anyway, if it’ll help. Loading will be here in Washington or Felling, Tyne & Wear. 13.6m curtainside (cos ya can’t say Tautliner lol) Full load of 24/48 pallets but doubt it’ll be full weight ( more like 15 - 20 t).

Regular destinations are Enfield, Dudley, Paisley and could be any major airport (for export). I can send anybody a full list if ness!

If all goes well there could be a regular run to Milan and 1 to Brussels, probably with returns :laughing: :sunglasses:

Your help is much appreciated cos I realy am out of touch! Re another rate thread - we get between £1.50 to £1.75 per mile for a 7.5t curtain around here and I know people who charge even more in Heathrow area.

Plenty people looking but not many comments - good or bad!

zebadee:
Plenty people looking but not many comments - good or bad!

Most on here are probably not owner drivers so cannot give you constructive comments but they like to read the post, just in case they can :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: - it’s what sites like this are all about :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

you’ll get someone to do it for £1.00 a mile as a backload, and i’m not joking. put the load and date when its to go on here returnloads.net/ and youll soon get it shifted.

but, if your a fair chap youll give them £2.00 a mile :wink:

That gave me a bit of a laugh Rog and I guess your right!

Dozer, I don’t want it done as a backload. I want a regular O/D or Co to commit to it so I don’t have to worry about it to mush. I expect to pay a decent price for a decent job, I’m just not sure of the going rate at the mo but I think you must be close at £2.

Isn’t every load a backload■■? Or is every load a going out load■■?
If I lived nearer to you I would spot hire a truck and trailer then come and do it for you!

Deepinvet:
If I lived nearer to you I would spot hire a truck and trailer then come and do it for you!

every load should be a going out load - cut price backloads do nobody any good in the long run :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

Deepinvet:

There is no such thing as a backload, this is a term made up by people to get the price down.

It is always a forward load to someone.

Although i no longer run my own vehicles. But i will be back at it soon. I reckon you could charge out at £2.50 per mile. Sub it out at £1.90 per mile providing he’s using his own trailer. most customers need reliability. alot of hauliers think its on price alone then go under. I didn’t go under.

id go with the majority and say no less than 2quid a mile but you will get folk thatll do it for a lot less

Carl:
id go with the majority and say no less than 2quid a mile but you will get folk thatll do it for a lot less

Would that be for the round trip or one way ■■?

i thought 2 quid a mile was a fair rate obviously you quote as per job but i assumed zebadee was asking for a ball park figure

pence per mile is all very well, and if youre doing 250 miles plus at 2 quid I’d say that was good. but you have to make sure you do enough turnover to cover standing costs. For instance, 40 quid a mile would be great unless you were only doing 2 miles a day.

Ensure you have a rate agreed if your driver is held up at the delivery point ,

So much per hour Demurrage ( Compensation paid for delays at delivery point )

Demurrage ■■? That went out with Atki 180s , do you think RDCs pay demurrage no chance.

you might not get it,but where I work
we DO get the demurrage paid and
this is something that my employer
ensures that is put in every contract
they have written and it has been
payed without any problems even
when we have stood for a week
by the customer,after a laid down
time span, the demurrage rates
come in to force,

It’s also quite common to get demmurage on containers as well, I would not claim that all pay but many do.