Just to say helo. and some pointers please

helo to you all. brilliant site.
i am looking for some advice about buying a tractor unit.
im looking to buy a 02/03 plated daf or scania and want to know what sort of millage i should be looking for, for example would it be ok to go for a unit with say 700,000kms with full service history■■? what do you guys think? thanks in advance

WIll,

Mileage is not of great importance providing maintenace has been kept up to date etc. 1 million KMS not that unusual.

Most important is history, typical running weights, work carried out etc. Also when you check it look for where PTO etc. has previously been fitted as the more unscrupulous dealers remove it (hard life in them there quarries etc.) to hide its previous life so they can inflate the price.

N2N Transport:
WIll,

Mileage is not of great importance providing maintenace has been kept up to date etc. 1 million KMS not that unusual.

Most important is history, typical running weights, work carried out etc. Also when you check it look for where PTO etc. has previously been fitted as the more unscrupulous dealers remove it (hard life in them there quarries etc.) to hide its previous life so they can inflate the price.

thanks

N2N has given you some good advice there that I don’t think I can really add to except to say take a good fitter with you. It might cost you a few bob, especially if you have to go an see a few different wagons but it will be money well spent. There are no guarantees with anything but you want as little risk as poss because a bad un’ could break you.

Looking at your location, I was wondering what sort of work you had lined up if you don’t mind me asking?

hammer:
N2N has given you some good advice there that I don’t think I can really add to except to say take a good fitter with you. It might cost you a few bob, especially if you have to go an see a few different wagons but it will be money well spent. There are no guarantees with anything but you want as little risk as poss because a bad un’ could break you.

Looking at your location, I was wondering what sort of work you had lined up if you don’t mind me asking?

i was thinking of pulling containers from liverpool machester area. do you knpw some where in the north wales area selling used tractor units.

Try Watkins(cvam) in Denbigh

Will Cabi:
i was thinking of pulling containers from liverpool machester area. .

you need to be doing more than “thinking” before you buy a truck, get some work sorted first

Here we go again :bulb: :bulb: :bulb: :bulb: :bulb: :bulb: :bulb: :bulb: :bulb: :bulb: :bulb: :bulb: :bulb: :bulb: :bulb: :bulb: :bulb:

Robbies Dad:
Here we go again :bulb: :bulb: :bulb: :bulb: :bulb: :bulb: :bulb: :bulb: :bulb: :bulb: :bulb: :bulb: :bulb: :bulb: :bulb: :bulb: :bulb:

what is it :question: :question: :question: one a week. :confused: :confused: :confused:

Denis F:

Will Cabi:

you need to be doing more than “thinking” before you buy a truck, get some work sorted first

the reason i said THINKING was because i have been offerd quarry work as well (tipper)

Will Cabi:

Denis F:

Will Cabi:

the reason i said THINKING was because i have been offerd quarry work as well (tipper)

Tipper work with the unit or with a rigid? If it’s the unit I presume it’ll be Pembertons round here. They seem pretty steady at the moment.

The other guys are right, you have to have the work before you can do anything. Also, bear in mind your earnings might not go up and there is a lot more hassle. I pay myself what I was making when i was employed and no more :frowning: . There is a lad where I used to work, he earns really good coin as a fitter and he is CONVINCED that I’m making a fortune. :unamused:

I’m not trying to put you off and I’m not trying to be patronising, but I don’t know how far you’ve come with it. If you need any advice I’ll do my best.

Tipper work with the unit or with a rigid? If it’s the unit I presume it’ll be Pembertons round here. They seem pretty steady at the moment.

The other guys are right, you have to have the work before you can do anything. Also, bear in mind your earnings might not go up and there is a lot more hassle. I pay myself what I was making when i was employed and no more :frowning: . There is a lad where I used to work, he earns really good coin as a fitter and he is CONVINCED that I’m making a fortune. :unamused:

I’m not trying to put you off and I’m not trying to be patronising, but I don’t know how far you’ve come with it. If you need any advice I’ll do my best.

tipper work with a unit from alfred mcalpine bethesda.
as im based not far from caernarfon. all i need now is my unit. i have my cpc, o licence, premesis and etc. i know you are not trying to put me off hammer. and i know you cant make big big bucks with 1 truck. i would be happy earning the same as i would being employd. plus you get no boss breathing down your neck, you are your own boss, plus i will love the responsibility of looking after the unit/trailer.
cheers for your views and help hammer, very appreciate it :wink:

One of these would do… walkermovements.co.uk/spec_s … nitID=2320 proven engine and gearbox.

Or how about http://www.walkermovements.co.uk/spec_sheet.asp?UnitID=2155 - only a year older and half the price, and although they’re not the most appealing truck in the world you get a nice reliable and economical ■■■■■■■ engine (from what I have read you should see the right side of 10mpg) and if you’re on tipper work then the alloys and lightweight midlift will increase your payload and therefore your turnover and profit.

Paul

cheers for pointing out these units, very appreciate it. will go down to walkermovement to take a look

Will Cabi:
as im based not far from caernarfon. all i need now is my unit. i have my cpc, o licence, premesis and etc. i know you are not trying to put me off hammer. and i know you cant make big big bucks with 1 truck. i would be happy earning the same as i would being employd. plus you get no boss breathing down your neck, you are your own boss, plus i will love the responsibility of looking after the unit/trailer.
cheers for your views and help hammer, very appreciate it :wink:

Have you tried Gwynedd Shipping for container/general haulage work? They are pretty big down your neck of the woods. Also, it might be worth giving LE Jones, Ruthin a try. They have a presence down your way, doing a bit from Holyhead docks etc. The rates aren’t great but they will keep you moving.

I know two lads who have started with units within the last three years, they both started on less desirable work like above and moved onto better things once they’d found their feet. One of the biggest problems you will have is cash flow, its incredible where it all goes. :unamused: So, if you can get some stable work going and get some contacts sorted you could go on from there.

As for McAlpines that is one quarry I’ve never been to so I wouldn’t like to comment. Good luck.