just thinking !!

thinking of possibly changing my truck next year, which would you buy and why :question:

( Drawbar spec 6x2 rigid , rear lift axle, )

Depends on what work your doing

nick2008:
Depends on what work your doing

it’ll have a livestock box on - mainly running lambs, farms to abattoirs

from that list I would take the renault, cheaper to buy, now on volvo running gear, give good return on MPG, simple and easy motors to work on. Good workhorse.

Off the list it would a MAN.

Trouble is those Renault’s still aren’t that nice to drive, better than they were though.
Denis, the CF Space will be the best to drive, comfort etc. especially with the manual box, easy. :smiley:
EGR is just something else to go wrong, need maintenance etc.

Bulgaria is hot property atm, probably a wiser investment in a pad there and a cheaper truck.

DAFMAD:
EGR is just something else to go wrong, need maintenance etc.

On the contrary, EGR has considerably less to go wrong than SCR and in my experience (of DAF105s) the SCR system is really quite good at getting itself bunged up and needing sorting by the Main Stealer.

The penalty is you’ll probably use slightly more DERV with EGR.

Paul

i would go with the volvo if its i shift its great the daf cf i would only drive that if i had no choice the gear box is crap :grimacing: and as you are pulling live stock youll be fully loaded most of the time so i think volvo or even scania but with a few more horses 480 atleast :smiley:

i’d go with the volvo option as according to threads in the pdf you might get some cracking deals. :wink:

I’d go with the Volvo, that an FM 440 is my current truck and it is a nice easy drive, good on fuel, comfortable and out pulls the DAF 480 I had before getting the Volvo.

Coffeeholic:
I’d go with the Volvo, that an FM 440 is my current truck and it is a nice easy drive, good on fuel, comfortable and out pulls the DAF 480 I had before getting the Volvo.

ooooooh careful there coffee…you opening up a can of wormys re:out pulling daf’s…me self a magnum 480dxi pilot (and owner :cry: )

also depends on how long you want to keep it, if your going to keepit untill it drop it go the scanny or the volvo. if for only a 4 year buy id go with the daf or renault

alix776:
also depends on how long you want to keep it, if your going to keepit untill it drop it go the scanny or the volvo. if for only a 4 year buy id go with the daf or renault

I was hoping for 10 years - so realistically that probably rules out the Renault & the Daf :wink:

I’d go Volvo Denis , good value compared to a Scania there prices are off the clock. On a different note I would be looking to change it after 5 years max, with all the electronics on the modern lorry and the price of repairing the electrics I don’t think i would risk 10 years.

yes but look how many 10 year old scannys are still working hard compared to other makes

from a long life point of veiw dennis id go with the scanny personally

Whilst I admit I havent driven a wide range of trucks, I never found the Renault that bad. But saying that I think I may have landed a rare gem as I had a couple of them on hire whilst mine was in for MOT and they were bags of crap.

The above opinion is based as a driver - I have no idea about costs, residuals, depreciation etc which I’m sure is as important if not more so to you.

Denis F:

alix776:

I was hoping for 10 years - so realistically that probably rules out the Renault & the Daf :wink:

Whatever.

But, there’s no way I’d even think about getting or certainly keeping an auto especially for ten years. You will regret it.

who said anything about an auto

The point is Volvo is just as good if not better than a Scania , and there are plenty of 10 year + volvo’s still at work as well. I might well be wrong about the electronics but it is a expensive way to find out.
Plus Scania’s are quoting in most cases a £10,000+ premium over an similar spec volvo its a nobrainer in my book.

alix776:
who said anything about an auto

Just in case. :laughing: