just thinking !!

I voted Scania as they are simply the best built! If you can live with a wendy house FM then go ahead but atm in Ireland version 2/3 Volvos are becoming troublesome.
Electrics are a problem unlike Mercedes who after 10 years have discovered(eventually)how to a avoid electrical problems!!!
I have to mention Mercedes even thou you haven’t? Even a recent “head to head” in a truck magazine verdict said "we’d take the Meerc over the FM-it simply offers better value for money! don’t knock something until you’ve tried it Denis.
If Daf have sorted out there head problems then don’t rule the CF out (of course they havent)

ellies dad in the area where Denis is you can’t get the local merc dealer in selling you anything only vans.As for the magazine article you mention I think the article says “We feel the FM is a better machine” and the" Mercedes was substantially cheaper" that was why it was a better deal.

I voted Volvo. Build quality and strength in consideration of the terrain you’d be encountering on a daily basis.

alix776:
who said anything about an auto

denis did…

I voted DAF, I think the CF is one of the best mid range trucks about. Mine’s done over 800000K, granted it’s had a gearbox, and diff, but they were very hard miles nearly all at 44t. One of the deciding factors, would have to be the quality of the local dealers. DAF are probably my worst local dealer mind, with Renault, and Scania being best, and Volvo a tight 3rd. DAF are probably not out of the starting gate. Whch is a shame, as it detracts from a very good product.

merc actros megaspace for me, never had any probs with it.

jessicas dad:

alix776:

denis did…

Big Bear:
ellies dad in the area where Denis is you can’t get the local merc dealer in selling you anything only vans.As for the magazine article you mention I think the article says “We feel the FM is a better machine” and the" Mercedes was substantially cheaper" that was why it was a better deal.

Thats all true but the bottom line was “the merc is simply better value for money” . A good local dealer is half the battle thou so personally thats where i start when i’m looking!!!

If we’re all honest there is no perfect truck-they all have theyre up’s and downs . Some brands are strong in some areas purely because of dealer backup/service.

Personally i like Scania/Mercedes -they’re well proven in Ireland and very similar trucks. Merc are €10k cheaper thou!!!why give it to a dealer■■?

Denis F:

jessicas dad:

alix776:

denis did…

I knew I didn’t imagine it. :grimacing:

DAF are probably my worst local dealer mind

Isn’t there an independent near you for servicing or buy further afield? Some are good some are bad of all makes

DAFMAD:
Isn’t there an independent near you for servicing or buy further afield? Some are good some are bad of all makes

I use a independent now , parts backup for my DAF is good at the moment - 2 good dealers in the SW . Volvo and Scania also have good dealers in the area, Renault are getting better but still have room for improvement as far as getting parts is concerned! they seem to think every other day parts delivery is a good idea!!
Mercedes have a dodgy map - it doesn’t come any further south than Bristol !!! (Sorry Ellies Dad) :laughing:

Denis if you are talking about the Volvo dealer from Exeter they are very far from good. :frowning: Complete rubbish on the Garage side. Having said that there parts service is very good. :slight_smile:

It seems Renault Volvo and Scania are your 3 favourites Denis. Scania are very expensive and a Volvo will do the same job!!! However that means the Renault will do what a Volvo will and i’d imagine it’s gonna be a good bit cheaper.
The question is do Renault buid a good enough truck now.?

Big Bear:
Denis if you are talking about the Volvo dealer from Exeter they are very far from good. :frowning: Complete rubbish on the Garage side. Having said that there parts service is very good. :slight_smile:

heard that too :wink: but will only need the parts as I use an independent mechanic for my servicing ( and knowing someone who had a R&M contract with them I will continue to do!!)

ellies dad:
It seems Renault Volvo and Scania are your 3 favourites Denis. Scania are very expensive and a Volvo will do the same job!!! However that means the Renault will do what a Volvo will and i’d imagine it’s gonna be a good bit cheaper.
The question is do Renault buid a good enough truck now.?

can’t argue with any of that :wink: although having had a Daf 85CF for the last 5 years I haven’t ruled that out either (apart from the usual head and gearbox problems which mine joined in with!)

( and having got the quote today the Renault is quite a lot cheaper !!! )

New Renault Magnum is 13k cheaper than a Merc for a 6x2, all on Volvo running gear, go Renault

Denis F:
and having got the quote today the Renault is quite a lot cheaper !!

For very good reason. :laughing:

DAFMAD:

Denis F:

:laughing: DaF are more expensive then Volvo too :wink: but nobody is as dear as Scania :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Contracthire:
New Renault Magnum is 13k cheaper than a Merc for a 6x2, all on Volvo running gear, go Renault

A Magnum cattletruck… :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Denis F:

DAFMAD:

Denis F:

:laughing: DaF are more expensive then Volvo too :wink:

Volvo build quality isn’t as good a DAF’s IMHO

Denis F:
but nobody is as dear as Scania :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Scania are like BMW’s overrated, overpriced and owned by… :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley: :laughing:

so denis whats your decision then. :question: :question: :question: