Just received my new digitach card

I’ve just had my card come through and on the piece of paper with my card on,it says that the card and chip are the property of the secretary of state.
Does that mean my £38 covers the "hire"costs of the card for the 5 years its valid for?
I think its a bloody cheek!

Are you on agency? Just wondered because when I mentioned to my gaffer about these tacho cards and who would be paying for them when we got new motors he told me that the firm would pay. Sounds good to me :smiley:

jase:
it says that the card and chip are the property of the secretary of state.

Do you have the same grievance regarding your driving licence, that also is the property of the Secretary of State? :wink: :smiley: :smiley:

penfold:
Are you on agency? Just wondered because when I mentioned to my gaffer about these tacho cards and who would be paying for them when we got new motors he told me that the firm would pay. Sounds good to me :smiley:

The agency I work has said we have to pay our own £38 for the card and if you havent goty a card by the start of may then there wont be much work for you till you get a card miserable gits.

Luckily my card arrived this morning

Never thought of that coffee to be honest!,no i’m not on the agency ,
I just thought i’d get in first before the rush for them to be honest and i paid for it myself as without i can’t work if given a digitach equipped truck.

jase:
Never thought of that coffee to be honest!,no i’m not on the agency ,
I just thought i’d get in first before the rush for them to be honest and i paid for it myself as without i can’t work if given a digitach equipped truck.

but surely you company will pay you back the 38 notes that it cost you :question: unless your an owner driver where you will get it back through hidden costs :laughing: :laughing:

can someone post a link to where i can order one of these please, i feel some agency work is on the horizon for me, ive searched everywhere but cant seem to find where you order one :smiley:

Phone the DVLA on 0870 850 1074 and ask them to send you the forms.

thanks for the quick reply coffee, theres some brown beans in the post for your trouble :laughing:

No they haven’t got any digitach equipped trucks so i doubt they would pay for it plus the fact i have only just started with the company this week so i think it would be a bit of a cheek to ask them.
No i’ve got one now and its mine and i paid for it.
My mate who works for Eddie Stobart was told by the company to get a card and they would not pay for it as he was getting a new Volvo and it would be fitted with one.Lo and behold he got it and his new Volvo came with the old style tacho,but like he said he’s got a card ready just in case as so we both believe if your tacho breaks after the end of May you will only get a digital tacho refitted.Is this true?

That is correct my friend,after 1st may tachos requiring repair will be replaced with digital ones.Had a meeting with management tuesday regarding digital tacho,s and that was discussed.As was the fact that none of the members i represent will be paying for said card.lordy,lordy they agreed.

Jase said;

Lo and behold he got it and his new Volvo came with the old style tacho, but like he said he’s got a card ready just in case as so we both believe if your tacho breaks after the end of May you will only get a digital tacho refitted.Is this true?

Not true.

Article 2.1(b) of Council Regulation 2135/98 requires that should the recording equipment of a goods vehicle with a maximum authorised mass exceeding 12 tonnes, first registered on or after 01/01/1996 and fitted with recording equipment using only electrical impulses, break down, then it (the recording equipment) will be replaced by Annex 1B compliant equipment (Digital).

The definition of recording equipment = the total equipment intended to record driving and other periods either automatically or semi-automatically. In other words; the motion sensor, the wiring loom and the recording head. All items have to malfunction simultaneously for the requirement to replace with digital. Spoken to many tacho fitters over the last few months and none can recall all three parts breaking at the same time.

Of course the time may come when the EU decide that vehicles should be retrofitted with digital, or there are no spares for analogue, but it’s not here yet. There are loads of mechanical tachos still doing sterling service out there, so waxed paper charts will be around for some time yet.

geebee45:
Spoken to many tacho fitters over the last few months and none can recall all three parts breaking at the same time.

Fit one in an ERF and then the whole lot will break and at the same time…

jammymutt:

geebee45:
Spoken to many tacho fitters over the last few months and none can recall all three parts breaking at the same time.

Fit one in an ERF and then the whole lot will break and at the same time…

Thanks Alex that gave me a bloomin good laugh. :wink:

2 agencies have sent me the forms through the post and ive chucked all in the bin.

reading this months t & d and it says someing like 200,000 drivers needs cards and so far only 2,00 have applied.

I got the forms sent back to me on Friday because apparently i dont have a digital passport so i need to fill it all in again and send my NON digital passport off, i want as photo licence so it looks like ill have to wait for that after i get the digi tachocard.

One of the lads at work got one in the post it is no more than a bloody credit card with the little chip bit on it , i wonder if you put it in the supermarket chip and pin machine if it will wipe it clean or damage it?.

What is it with the DVLA? My card came yesterday with a mistake on the address, the car documents I got last year had a wrong address, and when I moved house a few years ago they [zb] up the addresses on our licenses then!

if it needs stars you know its going to get [zb]'d …Denis F

jessicas dad:
reading this months t & d and it says someing like 200,000 drivers needs cards and so far only 2,00 have applied.

And a 150 of em will be for our lot!!!

They are a doddle to use, no messing about. End of the week give ya card to the numpty, :unamused: sorry traffic operative and get it back ten seconds latter all down loaded.

Hi people

Got my application form today

One question if you have a photocard licence already do you need to send a photo on the tacho application?

I’m guessing not but would like so confirmation

Pete :smiley:

Discopete:
Hi people

Got my application form today

One question if you have a photocard licence already do you need to send a photo on the tacho application?

I’m guessing not but would like so confirmation

Pete :smiley:

Check THIS answer to one of the FAQ’s from the Digi Tacho section of the VOSA site.

If you have a photo licence they will use the photo of you they already have and you do not have to send a photo with your application.