Jobs for LGV Instructors

Is there any vacancies for instructors at the moment?

Does not seem to be much around at the moment and only found this on the jobcentre advert:

www.jobcentreplus.gov.uk/Internet/viewV … =HER/11309

burnie1:
Is there any vacancies for instructors at the moment?

No - I’ve been searching since May 08 :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation:

burnie1:
Does not seem to be much around at the moment and only found this on the jobcentre advert:

www.jobcentreplus.gov.uk/Internet/viewV … =HER/11309

Job centre links do not work for some reason so the job itself must be copied and pasted -

Job Title LGV DRIVING INSTRUCTOR HER/11309

LocationHEREFORD
HoursDAYS
Wage £20,000 - £24,000
Work PatternDays
EmployerJ Coates HGV Services Limited
PensionNo details held

DurationPERMANENT ONLY

Description
You will need to have held a Category C+E driving licence for at least 3 years. Preference will be given to Driving Standards Agency Registered Instructors however consideration will be made to individuals willing to be trained to this standard. Main duties are to train drivers to a standard so that they can pass a driving test to gain category C & C+E. driving licences. EXEMPTED VACANCY - EMPLOYMENT EQUALITY ACT (AGE) REGULATIONS 2006.

Applicant to contact Andrew Eburne on 0116 2626037 to arrange interview.

How to apply
You can apply for this job by telephoning 0116 2626037 and asking for Andrew Eburne.

I think this highlights a previous discussion about being a DSA Registered Instructor.

Whether we like it or not companies are now giving preference to instructors who have the qualification. I agree with ROG when he says that it doesn’t necessarily make you a better instructor but what it does is put you 1 level above the good driver who may not have the ability to teach others. I also could name(better not :laughing: ) instructors who are registered but i wouldn’t let them teach cycling proficiency :cry:

I can say from personal experience that the more qualified you are the better chance you have of getting that job. It also stands you in good stead when dealing with bigger companies.

chevmac:
I think this highlights a previous discussion about being a DSA Registered Instructor.

Whether we like it or not companies are now giving preference to instructors who have the qualification. I agree with ROG when he says that it doesn’t necessarily make you a better instructor but what it does is put you 1 level above the good driver who may not have the ability to teach others. I also could name(better not :laughing: ) instructors who are registered but i wouldn’t let them teach cycling proficiency :cry:

I can say from personal experience that the more qualified you are the better chance you have of getting that job. It also stands you in good stead when dealing with bigger companies.

Registered or not, there are not any lobs for LGV instructors in my area and have not been any for over 7 months or longer…

ROG:

chevmac:

Registered or not, there are not any lobs for LGV instructors in my area and have not been any for over 7 months or longer…

I really sympathise with you ROG and we all hope things pick up- for everyones sake-
But it doesn’t take away from the fact that an employer will generally look for experience and qualifications, whether it’s right or not, and i’ve found this to be the case in the past.

chevmac:

ROG:

chevmac:

I really sympathise with you ROG and we all hope things pick up- for everyones sake-
But it doesn’t take away from the fact that an employer will generally look for experience and qualifications, whether it’s right or not, and i’ve found this to be the case in the past.

Unless they change the rules, I can never be DSA registered.

What rules mate??

chevmac:
What rules mate??

MYSELF:
Unfortunately, my brain (not eyes) is unable to quickly recognise 3D hazards on a 2D screen so therefore I cannot do the HPT which is one of the first steps in the process to become an ADI.

I have a wad of letters & E-mails to the DfT/DSA via my MP on this issue.
I asked that, as I teach a higher hazard awareness as a Senior advanced driving observer in the IAM and have done the Special Assessment test which includes a 90+ minute running commentary on all hazards whilst driving, I be allowed to be given accreditation for hazard awareness but the DSA were intransigent and refused.

From my observations, I can see the reasons for having instructor training & testing for teaching learners who are going for their first road licence but for upgrading and further driver training, the ADI set up does not seem to be fit for purpose…

ROG:
From my observations, I can see the reasons for having instructor training & testing for teaching learners who are going for their first road licence but for upgrading and further driver training, the ADI set up does not seem to be fit for purpose…

Totally agree with the first road licence part(as an ADI car) -but my personal view on the DSA Register for LGV is that it helps to prevent just anyone who has had a licence for more than 3 years thinking they can now tell and show others how it should be done.
I’m sure you would agree that teaching someone who may be possibly driving a 44 tonne vehicle should only be done by a competent and experienced person. :smiley:

chevmac:

ROG:

Totally agree with the first road licence part(as an ADI car) -but my personal view on the DSA Register for LGV is that it helps to prevent just anyone who has had a licence for more than 3 years thinking they can now tell and show others how it should be done.
I’m sure you would agree that teaching someone who may be possibly driving a 44 tonne vehicle should only be done by a competent and experienced person. :smiley:

This is where the upgrade system used to teach observers in advanced driving could be used - as you know from your IAM experience, this works well enough as it uses the teach the teacher system which the DSA system does not.

As rightly said by most on this site, the only true test of an instructor is measured by general results and recommendations - a piece of paper means nothing if it does not reflect this.

Plenty of TMs about who have no clue but they have a piece of paper that says they can do the job :exclamation: :exclamation:

Too much credibility is put on ‘bits of paper’ these days instead of ‘ability’.

How many actual HPT tests have you done with the DSA

Have you ever tried to register with the DSA

In this day and age customers are looking for quality control and accreditations and at the moment the DSA registration is the only credible independant assessment there is and likly to be.

If you can get through the tests more doors might open for you

burnie1:
How many actual HPT tests have you done with the DSA

Have you ever tried to register with the DSA

In this day and age customers are looking for quality control and accreditations and at the moment the DSA registration is the only credible independant assessment there is and likly to be.

If you can get through the tests more doors might open for you

Get very bad headache after about clip 3 in most cases so HPT is DEFFO not an option.

Doors will not open if they are all shut which is the case at the moment. :frowning: - the knock-on effect in this current climate is responsible for that.

The DSA may be the ONLY place for bits of paper but as for ‘credible independant assessment’ - I beg to differ.

Come on Rog you need to stay positive

Yes we are in a recession but there is still plenty of opportunities out there

Yes the job market is slower than before but this thread is all about a job advert.that must be good news

So there are jobs and opportunities out there

I have noticed that by some of your recent comments on trucknet you must be feeling low but you must try and stay positive

Please remember that this recession is only temporary and the good times are around the corner

burnie1:
Come on Rog you need to stay positive

Yes we are in a recession but there is still plenty of opportunities out there

Yes the job market is slower than before but this thread is all about a job advert.that must be good news

So there are jobs and opportunities out there

I have noticed that by some of your recent comments on trucknet you must be feeling low but you must try and stay positive

Please remember that this recession is only temporary and the good times are around the corner

I do get ‘down’ at times but getting the pee taken out of me on here helps :laughing: :laughing:

I am keeping my driver training going by teaching more on the advanced side of things - only prob is that that is voluntary unpaid work - but very enjoyable :smiley: :smiley:

I am teaching a couple of Advanced drivers to become observers as well, which is even more interesting - 3 in a car - associate, trainee obs and me - so a three way teaching senario to which I have to seperate the various aspects and be very careful not to confuse the associate with obs training issues - great fun :exclamation:

It’s a pity that LGV instructor training is not done in this way - makes much more sense.

Did this as a seperate post as most will just want to scroll past it…

I:
It’s a pity that LGV instructor training is not done in this way - makes much more sense.

Info for those that might be interested as to how the IAM system works and want to kill a bit of time… :unamused: :slight_smile:

All the examiners in any capacity are class 1 police advanced traffic drivers (or ex ones) so their level of expertise is set at a high driving plateau and are EXPERTS in driving.

The chief examiner at IAM HQ has the final say on any issue.
Staff examiners check that the examining standard of local examiners is set at a constant level.
Local examiners test the associates who have been advised/taught/trained by observers like me
Staff examiners test the abilitiy of senior observers on a regular basis.
Senior observers check that observers are keeping to the required standard.
All observers MUST be examined every 3 years.

It is a requirement that all observers MUST be able to perform what they are teaching and be able to commentate from the driving seat or passenger seat.

The advanced test is approved by the DSA :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation:
But the DSA will not allow cross-accreditation for any part of their driver training certificates. - OK, the basic learner one I can see the reason for, but upgrades & fleet training :question: :exclamation: - no reason not to allow cross-accreditation for those, especially as the training & cross-checking system used by organisations like the IAM is much more in-depth.

On a personal level, I have my own driving checked every year as well as the above requirements.

That’s probably bored a few people :wink: :laughing: :laughing:

ROG:
I do get ‘down’ at times but getting the pee taken out of me on here helps :laughing: :laughing:

Just in case any of the helpful people here missed it :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley: :wink:

tachograph:

ROG:

Just in case any of the helpful people here missed it :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley: :wink:

Are you sure you did not mean to post it like this…

getting the pee taken out of me on here helps

Just in case it did not get their attention :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

tachograph:

I’m one of the helpful types… :sunglasses:

I even did a special delivery, which you can see for yourself here:
http://trucknetuk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=455385#455385 :laughing: :grimacing: :wink:

ROG:
Are you sure you did not mean to post it like this…

getting the pee taken out of me on here helps

Just in case it did not get their attention :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Just in case anyone has missed it :stuck_out_tongue: :wink:

[size=200]
ROG[/size]:

**getting the pee taken out of me on here helps**

dieseldave:

tachograph:

I’m one of the helpful types… :sunglasses:

I even did a special delivery, which you can see for yourself here:
http://trucknetuk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=455385#455385 :laughing: :grimacing: :wink:

Looks like Trucknet has got it’s own cult figure Dave :wink:

ROG:
getting the pee taken out of me on here helps :laughing: :laughing: