lgv driving instructor training.

I’ve been looking into training as a lgv driving instructor but seem to be getting nowhere fast. Can’t seem to find anyone willing to do the training. Companies advertise they do the training and I’ve spoken to a few, they say yes we can do this, you need to arrange a driving assessment so I have tried arranged to do this but nobody seems to get back to me. Am I wasting my time ■■? Can anybody give me any advise am I going about it all the wrong way■■?. Would I be better looking for a company who are looking for a instructor and willing to train someone.

There is no legally required course to be a LGV instructor

I got into it because I was an experience advanced driving observer with my local IAM group and one of that group was looking for a LGV holder to become an instructor where they worked

Do you have any experience of giving driving advice which could give you a foot in the door ?

Whilst there’s no legal requirement as Rog has stated, there are instructors courses about…once passed its a case of contracting training companies for work… failing that if you got the dosh…get a truck and set yourself up…

rtitb.co.uk/academy/lgv_cour … nstructors

But then ask yourself the question why be an instructor, you must have patience of a saint… :grimacing:

I have trained many instructors, including some of my own staff, for the DVSA Voluntary Register.

Some employers will not entertain you without the qualification; some, sadly, don’t care.

I no longer offer the training publicly as it is too disruptive to our normal operations.

You may be able to find a trainer who will train you; if you let me know what area you are in I may be able to point you in the right direction.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Hello Pete I live in Bradford any help would be appreciated

Being a LGV instructor is the most rewarding job I have ever done along with being a voluntary IAM observer

To get another to be the best driver they can be within the time constraints given really gives me a buzz

There are no DVSA LGV Accredited Schools in that area. In fact, we are the closest. I would direct you to RTITB. I qualified on their course donkey’s years ago and it was excellent.

As an alternative, you could try Tockwith Training at York. I don’t know if they offer the training but it’s only a phone call away.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Hi ROG posted a reply earlier seems not to have come up for some reason? so I’ll try again at my last company I was asked if I wanted to do a driver’s assessor’s course which I did with IAM so then became driver assessor for the company. So then if any new driver came I assessed them did a report on their drive, or any newly passed driver started would spend 2 to 3 days riding along in cab showing how company want job done, this is something I really enjoyed now I want to take it further with drivers just starting on the lgv route.

Cheers Pete I’ve spoken to the guy there said he maybe able to help but he also pointed me towards RTITB.

Do you really not need to be qualified to instruct in HGVs. Knowing how much you had to do to become and remain a car instructor that sounds bizarre.

That’s right dani1972 look on Tockwith training web site THE SHOCKING TRUTH!!!

cgill:
That’s right dani1972 look on Tockwith training web site THE SHOCKING TRUTH!!!

That is outrageous. For my £50 an hour I would want to know I was being trained by someone who been assessed not just in driving ability but teaching as well. Regularly assessed as well. Car Instructors are required to do a check test every two years. Why are LGV instructors different.

dani1972:
Do you really not need to be qualified to instruct in HGVs. Knowing how much you had to do to become and remain a car instructor that sounds bizarre.

Yes, it beggars belief doesn’t it!

There are at least 4 categories of HGV instructors that I can think of:

1 - Brokers who promise the earth, but don’t train themselves, just pass you onto anyone of their whim and charge you a fortune for the pleasure
2 - Small firms who aren’t DSA certified and run knackered last-legs old trucks, frankly aren’t very good at training and happy to take your money and run.
3 - Professionally run firms that are not DSA certified but are competent at training and run a decent fleet
4 - DSA Certified firms that have their instructors vetted every 3 years and have to convince the DVSA that they operate to a certain (high) standard of instruction.

Then throw in that any of 2,3,4 can have their own reversing practise area on site or locally or not. And also (as Pete said earlier this week) that any of 2,3,4 can register to be a DVSA driving test center (whether they are DSA certified or not)

All these permutations are bound to confuse the customers. This drum needs banging regularly and often on here so newbies have half a chance.
Respectfully I think that the “BEFORE YOU BOOK YOUR TRAINING READ THIS” thread needs:
1 - To move to the top.
2 - I think it is time for a new one so it is easier to read, and make it shorter so it looks more inviting to read.

The number of people asking for reputable training companies suggests to me that the thread could be doing a better job. Time to get off soap box and do some work now!

cgill:
Hi ROG posted a reply earlier seems not to have come up for some reason? so I’ll try again at my last company I was asked if I wanted to do a driver’s assessor’s course which I did with IAM so then became driver assessor for the company. So then if any new driver came I assessed them did a report on their drive, or any newly passed driver started would spend 2 to 3 days riding along in cab showing how company want job done, this is something I really enjoyed now I want to take it further with drivers just starting on the lgv route.

Use that experience to get a foot in the door :smiley:

My eldest son is in the armed forces and luckily they are currently putting him through a comprehensive training course to become an HGV instructor.

So far he’s had to pass a car driving test, cat C driving test and C+E driving test within the first 2 days of the course - first time passes with a limit on number of minors allowed. He had no idea that was going to happen and it was just sprung on him. He managed that. :smiley:

They have just put him through a full ‘assessors’ course (4 weeks) with assessments of his assessing at the end - which he passed so he is now a ‘qualified’ assessor. :smiley:

Apparently he is now going on an ‘examiners’ course to become a DVSA qualified examiner. If he passes that he will then be on a 3 month intensive course learning to instruct.

He’s already done loads of advanced driving stuff in the military including IAM (I think he’s an IAM assessor anyway), ‘blue light’ (Police trained), driving VIPs etc so he’s a flamin good driver to start with. He drove the ‘boss’ of the Army for a while as his personal driver so did all that ambush/evasive driving stuff.

Thing is - get in a car with him and it’s like driving Miss Daisy. It’s like Grandad is driving … :unamused:

So hopefully after all this - the next time they announce redundancies he can volunteer and get into HGV driver training in civvy street.

Anyway - I thought I’d mention all this so that you can see that although there are no official qualifications required to instruct in civilian life - the Military have high standards.

So in answer to the OP - go join the Army :wink: :laughing: