LGV driving instructor training

I`ve recently seen advertised courses offering to train folks to become a LGV driving instructor
is it a good idea and worth the effort/time/money by adding this to your CV, or are these courses just another way of scamming your hard earned ££

Well, that depends on why you want to do it.

If you want to instruct, then yes, of course you have to do it.

But if you just want to be a more valuable employee, I think it’d be a bit over-the-top. I’d recommend something like an LGV assessor’s course instead.

The instructor’s course will let you join the DSA’s register and you will be qualified to instruct people to the standards required to pass the lgv test. It takes around 10 days for someone with no instructional experience. You must have an unrestricted license, must have held it for 3 years minimum, and also you cannot have been disqualified at any time during the previous 4 years.

The assessors course trains you to a standard where you can assess drivers and give corrective training if needed. So you’ll be able to keep standards up, but not be able to train from scratch. A lot of companies like to have their own assessors. Looks good for Health & Safety :p. Its a 5 day course normally.

Although unlike car instructors (ADI’s) the DSA register is voluntary as is the training.

You can go out and train people with out it.

Obviously it looks better on your advertising if you are registered.

I asked my instructor and he said he wasnt on the register but was going to do it simply because a couple of companies he had been talking to with regards to taking ontheir training contracts required him to be registered.

:stuck_out_tongue: Sorry, phrased myself badly. My post makes it sound like you have to join l but the empasis should be on the word ‘and’ in that sentence.