Job Hunting - do you find this helpful?

Hi guys, I had some time to spare last weekend and I created something like website to promote myself on the job market.

Today I am grounded (I had to cancel my shift, due to getting two punctures - I was driving on my spare wheel to the work, when I had another one :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp: ), so as I already woke up too early, I decided to finish it.

Off course itā€™s still lot to do, I am especially concerned about my English, as it was just writen ad hoc, without any longer thinking on it, so if you spot some appaling mistakes, feel free to point them out, it will be very appreciated.

But apart of that I am simply courious of your opinion: is it worth to let it go on and post it here and there arround the Internet?

driver.mixol.org/index.html

NOTE: Discussion below might seems to be incomprehensible for someone who just started to read this thread: is that becouse I already replaced picture in question, so the link leads now to the new one, not to the old one :slight_smile: The original picture was of the home delivery van parked a bit on the double yellow lines :blush:

I like it, shows you take a bit of pride in what you do, which puts you ahead of a lot of drivers out there.

Iā€™m not sure how much it will help with getting work, but it certainly cannot hurt. For it to be work at its best, you will need to play the games with the search engines in order that it comes high up the list.

Personally, white on a black background hurts my eyes after a while, but thats just a preference, it could benefit from a little web development. But as it is, all the information is there, presented in a straightforward manner.

I wouldnā€™t mind doing a bit of grammar correction for you later in the week when iā€™ve got some more time.

WildGoose:
Personally, white on a black background hurts my eyes after a while, but thats just a preference, it could benefit from a little web development. But as it is, all the information is there, presented in a straightforward manner.

You are not the only one, so I just changed it, I hope itā€™s better now. But still donā€™t like the white background, I think grey is more calm for eyesā€¦ But itā€™s still work in progress, so any suggestions regarding colours are welcomed.

I wouldnā€™t mind doing a bit of grammar correction for you later in the week when iā€™ve got some more time.

Pointing all my bugs and mistakes is welcome :slight_smile:

Edited: Another change of colours, I think itā€™s OK nowā€¦

i think it is brilliant. you will still need the paper cvā€™s to post but have a link on.

I think its a brilliant idea Orys, wonder why no one else thought of doing that though!!

Itā€™s definitely ā€œoutside the boxā€ hope it brings you something from doing it.

Also (for the benefit of DAF95XF and his mocking me skills) do you have a Norbert depot near you :laughing: :laughing:

From one extreme to the other,has anyone seen the effort people looking for work on Gumtree put in ? Look up ā€œDriving Jobsā€ on Gumtree,would you employ any of them ?

Itā€™s a good idea, as long as you can get people looking at it.

Iā€™d probably change this picture though :smiley:

arronls:

I was thinking about it, but I decided to put it in. This job is about dealing with the public and some people are looking for this kind of things. (and they donā€™t need to know that I did this only one day in my life :smiley: )

garnerlives:
Itā€™s definitely ā€œoutside the boxā€ hope it brings you something from doing it.

Also (for the benefit of DAF95XF and his mocking me skills) do you have a Norbert depot near you :laughing: :laughing:

I have, but the guy at the gate told me that I have to use on-line registration, which I did, received invitation to do another one and then another e-mail saying ā€œWe will call you when something will comeā€ :smiley:

orys:

arronls:

I was thinking about it, but I decided to put it in. This job is about dealing with the public and some people are looking for this kind of things. (and they donā€™t need to know that I did this only one day in my life :smiley: )

I was meaning where itā€™s parked, Iā€™m not sure many people would be looking for dodgy parking :wink: Can you paint the double yellows out with photoshop/gimp?

arronls:

orys:

arronls:

I was meaning where itā€™s parked, Iā€™m not sure many people would be looking for dodgy parking :wink: Can you paint the double yellows out with photoshop/gimp?

Ouchā€¦ Good point :smiley:

arronls:

That would be cheating :slight_smile:

I just replaced the picture with another one on home delivery:

This one will show my driving skills as taking 26 tonner to someones garden isā€¦

Actualy itā€™s very easy. The hard bit was when I had to reverse through this narrow road, as the bushes on both sides made it impossible to see anything in mirrors, nor it was possible to poke my head out of the windyā€¦

But with heavy heatersā€¦ You donā€™t want to run with them from the nearest road ā€œsuitable for HGVā€ :wink:

looks very good orys just some grammatical changes needed.

its TO my site not on
THOSE boring CVā€™s not that boring CVā€™s
thereā€™s an N in appointment
play lottery doesnā€™t really scan well, might need rewording

• Or maybe you are agency representative, looking for some decent driver to fill genuine vacancy?
    or maybe you are AN agency representative looking for A decent driver to fill A genuine vacancy?
    to find THAT i am THE right man for you
    THIS brief webpage

sorry to be picky but you did ask for help on the language bit, overall a very good idea

welshboyinspain:
looks very good orys just some grammatical changes needed.

its TO my site not on
THOSE boring CVā€™s not that boring CVā€™s
thereā€™s an N in appointment
play lottery doesnā€™t really scan well, might need rewording

• Or maybe you are agency representative, looking for some decent driver to fill genuine vacancy?
    or maybe you are AN agency representative looking for A decent driver to fill A genuine vacancy?
    to find THAT i am THE right man for you
    THIS brief webpage

sorry to be picky but you did ask for help on the language bit, overall a very good idea

Thanks, I am going to correct it.

But as for the bit highlighted by me: I always feel strange with this British way of advertising. I think itā€™s more humble to let decide the reader if I am the best man for himā€¦ If you write ā€œI am the best man for youā€ in Polish, you seems to be boasting about yourself and itā€™s not goodā€¦

But here with all that ā€œleading brandsā€, ā€œmain playersā€ ā€œfirst forā€ ā€œbest/largest in Scotlandā€ I think I can follow your adviceā€¦

What a good idea :smiley:

vuvuzela-time.co.uk/driver.mixol.org ā† what if I will make some noise about my webpage? :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

great idea mate and very good informative page, Iā€™m sure if you put the link to that on your cv someone will be impressed, good luck to you :smiley:

Too many pages Orys, you could get it all on one page. A prospective employer will not read all of your website he / She will be only interested in when you can start, also what class of licence you have. That is my opinion but I hope it works for you. Good Luck.
You would be better off putting it all on one page and do a massive E-mail shot to people you want to work for.
Most haulage companies use e-mail these days so all Transport Managers have an E-mail address

Deepinvet:
Too many pages Orys, you could get it all on one page. A prospective employer will not read all of your website he / She will be only interested in when you can start, also what class of licence you have. That is my opinion but I hope it works for you. Good Luck.
You would be better off putting it all on one page and do a massive E-mail shot to people you want to work for.
Most haulage companies use e-mail these days so all Transport Managers have an E-mail address

My idea is to put all this basic info you mentioned to first page but still leave the other information: if you need a quick glance, everything will be on welcome page (including updates of my availability, as you mentioned), but if someone wants to know more, or is just bored - he can go deeper.

The first page is not updatet yet, as I have some wee agency job for few weeks, but I put a page to my signature in case that someone has some really great job for awful lot of money :smiley: