Job Hunting - do you find this helpful?

Interesting , if you have the skills to build websites and upload them on to the net, why are you looking for low paid work as an LGV driver?

miketdt:
Interesting , if you have the skills to build websites and upload them on to the net, why are you looking for low paid work as an LGV driver?

There’s a vast difference between a basic html site and a bells and whistles ajax/php etc site. A basic site like that can be knocked up in 5 minutes (plus the time to fill in text), whereas a decent site (the kind that earns money) needs an in depth knowledge of programming and lots of man-hours.

To earn any sort of money from it you need quite an impressive portfolio - entry level web devs would kill to get the money we drivers get.

I know ajax, asp, html, css, php, sql, c/c++, c#, basic, visual basic, cobol, pascal, ruby, java, lisp, erlang, perl, fortran, haskell, python and a variety of scripting languages and I’m better off driving :open_mouth: I do a bit of freelancing and open source work, but it’ll never pay the bills - it’s just a hobby that might, maybe, one day, possibly lead to a job that pays a bit less than what I’m getting now :frowning:

miketdt:

not sure what job you do mike but even though we all complain at low wages driving a truck pays better than sitting in an office, believe me i’ve tried

In answer to your question welshboyinspain, I am a DSA-ADI grade 6 doing car learners and B+E trailer learners. Due to the lack of work, due to insurance companies hammering 17 year olds work has been very quiet. One day a week I have been working as a carpenter for £15 per hour but at the age of 53 its bloody hard work on my back and right shoulder as I have an artifical right shoulder joint. If things get even quieter I may have to return to LGV driving. Locally in Exeter agencies are only paying about £8 to £10 per hour for C+E and I have got 17 years experience. Just got my 1st digi cards in case things get really bad. Getting back to Ory’s post, I wish I had those web skills, but I surpose its a case of old dogs learning new tricks.

but carpentry at 15quid an hour is because its a skilled job and well done if you can do it but name me an office job that i can do with my brain and put over 2k a month in the bank? i earn more than the bank manager in my local branch because he’s educated but i’m reluctantly willing to stay away from home and see the sights :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

miketdt:
In answer to your question welshboyinspain, I am a DSA-ADI grade 6 doing car learners and B+E trailer learners. Due to the lack of work, due to insurance companies hammering 17 year olds work has been very quiet. One day a week I have been working as a carpenter for £15 per hour but at the age of 53 its bloody hard work on my back and right shoulder as I have an artifical right shoulder joint. If things get even quieter I may have to return to LGV driving. Locally in Exeter agencies are only paying about £8 to £10 per hour for C+E and I have got 17 years experience. Just got my 1st digi cards in case things get really bad. Getting back to Ory’s post, I wish I had those web skills, but I surpose its a case of old dogs learning new tricks.

Mike, this skills are plain nothing. I used maybe 4 or 5 commands altogether (and the friend did css file for me in two minutes to make it looks somehow). I used to be an IT journalist, and once I had to write an article “How to make the webpage in 100 minutes”) and alltogether (making a crappy example webpage you can see here: orys.bbs.pl/ + writing an articles and making a screenshots etc) it took me one night… And I had to mention that this was my first webpage ever and I hadn’t got a clue where to start when I was given that topic to cover…

Don’t be affraid, it’s bloody easy to make page like mine.

Hi guys…

In case that anybody would like to ask the same question - is that helpful, I will share with you the answer.

yes: IT IS helpful.

I still got some odd calls and e-mails offering me a job. Most of these are agencies, but there were some decent offers (although my current work is much better).

I even had to change my website to make it clear that I no longer look for work, as I simply forgot about it and it was still hanging on-line.

So if you look for a job, create yourself a website like it and try to spread it here and there. I think it’s helpful.

Good luck!

orys:
Hi guys…

In case that anybody would like to ask the same question - is that helpful, I will share with you the answer.

yes: IT IS helpful.

I still got some odd calls and e-mails offering me a job. Most of these are agencies, but there were some decent offers (although my current work is much better).

I even had to change my website to make it clear that I no longer look for work, as I simply forgot about it and it was still hanging on-line.

So if you look for a job, create yourself a website like it and try to spread it here and there. I think it’s helpful.

Good luck!

I bet your inbound paths were from here though, rather than from a search engine.

Rob K:
I bet your inbound paths were from here though, rather than from a search engine.

Off course. From here and other places I posted it.