Is it worth starting up your own business?

Hi all i’m a newby to this site and apologies if this question has been asked before. :smiley:

I’m 30 years old, from Sussex and having been driving for as long as I can remember (with and with out a licence lol) I have been working full time for the Royal Mail for 6 years now (class 1) and GOD I’m BOARD!!! I did general haulage before working for the RM and I did a few years fitting for DAF trucks so have a fairly good knowledge of how the business works.
I was just wondering if it worth thinking of starting up on my own? I completely understand how much hard work it would be and willing to put the time and effort in.
I have been looking in the back of T&D and there seems to be a lot of owner driver work around “or am I being a little green” :grimacing:

If any of you have any advice it would be very much welcomed!!!

Before you get your head bitten off dave, try looking through the previous threads on here about setting up on your own. :wink:

Thanks I will have another look lol… I thought I may be repeating the question. Thanks!!!

PLEASE TAKE NO NOTICE OF THIS POST!!! MY BAD AND I WONT DO IT AGAIN!!! :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush:

sparkydave35:
PLEASE TAKE NO NOTICE OF THIS POST!!! MY BAD AND I WONT DO IT AGAIN!!! :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush:

Hi sparkydave35,

Please don’t be so hard on yourself mate. :wink:

There’s no harm in coming on here and asking some questions.
Your question has been asked before, and I’m pretty sure it will be asked again. :smiley:

sparkydave35:
Hi all i’m a newby to this site and apologies if this question has been asked before. :smiley:

I’m 30 years old, from Sussex and having been driving for as long as I can remember (with and with out a licence lol) I have been working full time for the Royal Mail for 6 years now (class 1) and GOD I’m BOARD!!! I did general haulage before working for the RM and I did a few years fitting for DAF trucks so have a fairly good knowledge of how the business works.
I was just wondering if it worth thinking of starting up on my own? I completely understand how much hard work it would be and willing to put the time and effort in.
I have been looking in the back of T&D and there seems to be a lot of owner driver work around “or am I being a little green” :grimacing:

Anyone that sets up as a new o/d drivers needs ‘mug’ tattooing across their heads. Red tape-orama everywhere, VOSA on every corner, £1/mile rates, £1.20/ltr fuel, far too many trucks chasing too little work already, etc etc. How many more indicators do you need? There’s a reason why there’s so many o/d’s packing up every week and it isn’t because they’ve got bored of it… :bulb:

Thanks Dave as soon as I clicked the post button I thought DOH!!! lol…

Thanks Rob K, I can see your point and have read a lot of the other posts on the subject. But just can’t help thinking is there something better but I think everyone thinks the same lol… Thanks again.

It could be worth if you can get a decent contract, with some back up in the quiet times.
But whatever you do get as much info as you can, and get a decent accountant who is used to Transport and know all the nooks and crannies of the law.

While there are many OD shutting business, there are still many about, and always remember Eddy Go-Kart and Norbert Dressing table didn’t start with 500 trucks.

It will be hard and you probally work much harder for less money, but if being “your own Boss” is something where you after why not?

However don’t do it for a “Bling bling truck” because you better of to give your Boss GBP 10.000,- a year for a top of the range truck, you are probally than cheaper out without the stress.

Calculate and calculate again, and think about worse options, e.g. if you get a blow out on one of the tyres, that is your profit and probaly a bit more gone for that week.
Try to avoid lease contract with comapnies you work for, they are in control of you, can’t go anywhere else, and the freedom is gone. What looks like a good deal, can be after a couple of month a rope around the neck.
But there are defiantly still good deals out there, diesel is expensive for everybody, big or small all will feel it, and have an effect to all the prices in Transport.
I had a chance, years ago, but was to scared because I had 2 very young kids who where depending in my income, still regret it but that is life.

If you go for it, good luck.
If you don’t, still the same respect!

Rob K:

sparkydave35:

Anyone that sets up as a new o/d drivers needs ‘mug’ tattooing across their heads. Red tape-orama everywhere, VOSA on every corner, £1/mile rates, £1.20/ltr fuel, far too many trucks chasing too little work already, etc etc. How many more indicators do you need? There’s a reason why there’s so many o/d’s packing up every week and it isn’t because they’ve got bored of it… :bulb:

A bit strong Rob. I still know a lot of o/d’s that’ve been through a rough time in the last 12 months BUT are still going strong. Now the work is improving: rates/volumes things are looking up. Certainly from my point of view, I’ve recently taken on a subbie !

I do agree with you about the red tape, it’s ■■■■■■■■ BUT it affects everyone not just prospective o/d’s.

I think a lot of people starting up as an o/d would do better to view it as a business instead of an opportunity to own a showtruck. These, I think are the “Mug’s” that run at £1 per mile you speak of.

You do seem to constantly berate anyone that show’s any interest in becoming an o/d. Are you one or have you been one yourself and had a bad time of it ?

Goaty:
You do seem to constantly berate anyone that show’s any interest in becoming an o/d. Are you one or have you been one yourself and had a bad time of it ?

I was thinking the same…

Do you have your new truck yet Goaty?

removalboy:

Goaty:

I was thinking the same…

Do you have your new truck yet Goaty?

Not yet RB, it’s dragging like a seals arse now. :imp:
There may even be a Globby friendly one instead if things don’t get a move on!

I’ll put some pic’s up as and when. :wink:

Its certainly picking up, and there are plenty of opportunities out there, and, if I`m getting the vibes right, a SHORTAGE of trucks on the horizon, and, would you believe, DRIVERS are in short supply.

Tesco are starting to panic regarding drivers, and, the job i`m on 99% of the time has sounded out the regulars for commiting till CHRISTMAS :laughing: :laughing:

They are bricking it, with extra work coming on with new contracts, rivals wobbling, ENGLAND winning the world cup, ect ect ect, it all looks more promising than the last few years.

Is the new government helping the new found enthusiasm I wonder ■■?

Stanley Mitchell:
Its certainly picking up, and there are plenty of opportunities out there, and, if I`m getting the vibes right, a SHORTAGE of trucks on the horizon, and, would you believe, DRIVERS are in short supply.

Tesco are starting to panic regarding drivers, and, the job i`m on 99% of the time has sounded out the regulars for commiting till CHRISTMAS :laughing: :laughing:

They are bricking it, with extra work coming on with new contracts, rivals wobbling, ENGLAND winning the world cup, ect ect ect, it all looks more promising than the last few years.

Is the new government helping the new found enthusiasm I wonder ■■?

I think there is movement, the daily job pages are filling, from a single column in the papers to 3 or 4 pages of jobs in this area. I would not think there is any actual shortage of trucks or drivers, but it could be perceived that way.

Is the new government helping? I am sure it is. everyone was so downbeat with Brown and we had just about given up on living.

Using a seafaring analogy, the country was in the doldrums, the sails were slack and the crew were asleep. From rock bottom, the only way is up, but it could get rough for the passengers :laughing:

Goaty:

Rob doesn’t like owner drivers as they lost him some bank holiday overtime a few years ago :wink:

Denis F:

Goaty:

Rob doesn’t like owner drivers as they lost him some bank holiday overtime a few years ago :wink:

■■? News to me unless my memory is going. :open_mouth:

Goaty:

Rob K:

sparkydave35:

A bit strong Rob. I still know a lot of o/d’s that’ve been through a rough time in the last 12 months BUT are still going strong. Now the work is improving: rates/volumes things are looking up. Certainly from my point of view, I’ve recently taken on a subbie !

I do agree with you about the red tape, it’s ■■■■■■■■ BUT it affects everyone not just prospective o/d’s.

I think a lot of people starting up as an o/d would do better to view it as a business instead of an opportunity to own a showtruck. These, I think are the “Mug’s” that run at £1 per mile you speak of.

Show me some work the distance work that’s paying at least £2/mile and I’ll say it’s maybe worth considering. Until then, it isn’t.

Rob K:

Denis F:

Goaty:

I’m sure I remembered you moaning about O/D’s doing the bank holiday work at the normal rates when you would have earned some good overtime ( this was several years ago though so maybe it’s my memory :wink: )

Denis F:

Rob K:

Denis F:

Goaty:

I’m sure I remembered you moaning about O/D’s doing the bank holiday work at the normal rates when you would have earned some good overtime ( this was several years ago though so maybe it’s my memory :wink: )

Unlikely to have been O/Ds - more like other agency drivers. Although both are as bad as each for cutting the job up.

Oh dear,

If that comment was meant too provoke a reaction i think it may just well of been sucessfull, prepare for the onslaught…

Lrm

Your own business,well you can write without spelling mistakes so I will assume you don’t stutter either so here’s what you do to make millions in the Transport industry.First priority is a really comfortable chair,something you might doze in,then a telephone and start ringing round for work offering the most [zb] poor rate,once you have the work which you will get you take a big chunk off for yourself then start ringing around again looking for some nutter to do it and you will find them,we are always looking for work whatever the rate.Pretty soon,weeks,you will soon be rich then you have a choice pay your bills or scarper,don’t loose sleep over it you won’t be the first just scarper,it’s all so easy.Why haven’t I done it,well I s.t.u.t.t.e.r.