I'm getting a new truck

OK, it doesn’t some like much, but to me it’s alot! :open_mouth:

I’m currently driving an '06 FM380 Volvo 8x4 with a PM50 crane on (Cheese wedge body for dual purpose plant/container work).

Anyway, the new ones we’re getting are 8x2 tag axled Scania P400’s with Fassi cranes on, and cheese wedge bodies.
But these are autos. :confused:

Apart from the Scanny bashers, any idea what Scania autos are like, because 99% of my driving is completly urban. What are they like for manovering in tight areas, many of our drops are ‘up there, through there, or round that corner’. Do they kind of ‘lurch’ as if to move off normally when try to creep along into position for lifting etc??

Just asking really what I should expect.

I’ve driven a scanny 8 speed semi auto flappy paddle, one with a clutch which made maneuvering easier. Most of the driving i did was urban too…

The only proper auto I’ve driven was a MAN 12 speed auto 26t rigid

I’ve got a R420 8x2 tag with Palfinger 23t/m and Andover plant body my work sounds virtually the same as yours except I’m probably more biased towards mechanical plant rather than doing lots of crane work.

I’ve had numerous incarnations of manual gearboxes over the last few years and found the Scania 3 over 3 with splitter excellent on my old series 4 420 6 wheeler.

I’ve had this R420 since June and it’s got the 3 pedal Opticruise (with clutch) and although it does faff about sometimes it’s easy to override and get the gear you want and it is much better since being told on here how to reprogram the gearbox to allow me to select a start gear. Whilst we’ve not had any really bad weather conditions to make site work too bad it coped well in a quarry after a torrential rainstorm.

It’s got to be said I’m quite a fan of it now, I hadn’t realised how much until I drove our R480 for holiday cover, it has the 3 over 3 box that I used to love and I couldn’t be arsed with all the extra work :smiley:

I guess the big question is does it have a clutch or not?

I think supervisor said it hasn’t got the third pedal :confused:

I haven’t seen inside to be able to tell you, I’ve only seen one pass me in the yard. :blush:

Goldfinger:
I think supervisor said it hasn’t got the third pedal :confused:

I haven’t seen inside to be able to tell you, I’ve only seen one pass me in the yard. :blush:

I know of another driver with an auto DAF who complains he’d like a clutch for site work, but then he’d probably complain if he had a clutch.

Switchlogic reckons his 2 pedal Opti is the dogs bollox and has never got stuck in even in the snow and ice. But his work is a fridge trailer not a plant wagon.