Old And New

Said goodbye to another unit/trailer today, the old but reliable Scania 420 has gone…To be replaced with a brand spanky new 430 Merc & trailer. Early indications (after putting on the bay ready for Sunday) are that its quite a cramped driving position but admittedly I never got the seat in a perfect position so time will tell and unlike our rigids, the bloke who delivered it says it does 56 and hasn’t been screwed back to 49.5! We’re getting 2 more new combos at ours (may have arrived this afternoon) making the 61 plate DAF CF the oldest…let’s see how long they stay bright and shiny! Shame it didn’t get a full coat of paint on the cab, would’ve looked quite smart. Still, after 31 years with the same company, it’ll be my first ever brand new truck…would’ve been nice if the inside had been given a wipe over before delivery but can’t have it all I suppose!

image.jpg

Very nice!!! Is it the Royton depot you work out of?

You call yourself Actrosman yet you don’t drive an Acrtos? I DEMAND MY MONEY BACK! I’VE BEEN SWINDLED!

G6Bob…no mate, Reading NDC

Radar19…had a Megaspace when I first transfered over until they scrapped it 5 year ago, that’s when I inherited the Scania. Trailer was waiting for the new curtains to be fitted, hence the colour!

G6Bob:
Very nice!!!

+1:)

Actrosman:
G6Bob…no mate, Reading NDC

Radar19…had a Megaspace when I first transfered over until they scrapped it 5 year ago, that’s when I inherited the Scania. Trailer was waiting for the new curtains to be fitted, hence the colour!

Nice looking motor. Are they lights in the mirrors or just a reflection?
I bet you’re the only person on here looking forward to work on Monday!

31 years, same company and first brand spanker?
Are they mean or don’t they like you? :open_mouth: :wink:

You’ll be asking for your Scania back on Monday afternoon when you realise how bad the gearbox is in your new Actros!!![emoji12]

bidvest oh how i hate delivering to those places. Always there hours being tipped.

Captain Caveman…it was blue reflective tape and I start on Sunday’s but you’re right…quite looking forward to going in but only to get in and drive it before it gets bent and the day driver puts his feet everywhere bar the floor!

Dave55… New trucks were always a rarity until recently, they used to replace one at a time at the multi temp depots and getting one meant visiting the TM after hours!! :blush:

Damoq…are they as bad as the box in the MAN I’ve had recently? :unamused:

Actrosman:

I’m pretty sure whoever programmed the gearboxes in the MP4 was drunk when he done it. It really does make some strange gear selections at times, especially at junctions and roundabouts. It’s not unknown for it to attempt to pull away loaded in 6th gear. Obviously it soon realises it can’t do it, then fafs about for ages trying to find the right gear. I have found that when you approach a junction/roundabout, just as you slow to a crawl, knock it out of gear then straight back into drive again. It seems to go back into the right gear for the situation this way. I often wondered if 3 years on an auto Renault premium had perhaps made me expect the merc gearbox to be as faultless as it was. But I drove a 58plate Actros with the powershift2 box for a couple of years and even it was better than this. Merc have definatly taken a backwards step with the powershift3.

Gotta agree with Damoq about the MP4 box, rubbish in auto which is why I drive it in manual all the time. It becomes second nature to pick the right gear for the situation (a bit like when we actually had to drive them :smiley: ). If you end up stopping a bit sharp merely hold the gear stalk down until it selects the appropriate gear for you to set off again.

damoq:

Actrosman:

I’m pretty sure whoever programmed the gearboxes in the MP4 was drunk when he done it. It really does make some strange gear selections at times, especially at junctions and roundabouts. It’s not unknown for it to attempt to pull away loaded in 6th gear. Obviously it soon realises it can’t do it, then fafs about for ages trying to find the right gear. I have found that when you approach a junction/roundabout, just as you slow to a crawl, knock it out of gear then straight back into drive again. It seems to go back into the right gear for the situation this way. I often wondered if 3 years on an auto Renault premium had perhaps made me expect the merc gearbox to be as faultless as it was. But I drove a 58plate Actros with the powershift2 box for a couple of years and even it was better than this. Merc have definatly taken a backwards step with the powershift3.

:slight_smile: yep you got that right mate ad one for a week when my 11 plate 480 ad ne cluch fited glad to get the old girl back :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

Well… 1 night in and let’s say I’m a bit disappointed! Spent a bit of time reading the book and figuring out how to get the seat right…found a reasonably comfortable position but got bored playing with all the bloody buttons…my old Scanny was simple! And why have the whole steering column move instead of it breaking from the ‘neck’ end…like my old Scanny! I prefer a more angled wheel so that I can remain comfortably seated when reversing, like me old Scanny, instead of having to lean forward to reach the top of it. The radio/speakers don’t seem to be much cop and being on nights, it seems the headlamps need to be adjusted…I prefer a good stretch of light on the road surface and not the distance of 2 cats eyes on a m/way! Surprisingly, not many issues with the gearbox. So…2 things I’ve realised after 1 night…it’s an Axor in disguise and not as good as my old Scanny! One good thing though, we’ve only got them on a 3 year lease!

scania for me was the perfect driveing possition :wink:

Madmark63…have to say, I agree! And another thing…what’s the craic with the bloody Tacho reverting to other work when the ignition is switched on? Pulled into Leigh Delamere last night, stuck it on bed for a cheeky 15 and went in for a whiz. Came back, had a smoke, jumped in and all was dark…pressed the button to bring it to life and noticed it change! Unsure of how much I’d had, buggared off and had 16 back at the yard before going home

Good luck with new toy!!!

Really nice this Actros :slight_smile:

SpanishDriver:

Getting the hang/feel of it now…obviously been used to a Scania for too long! Had a guy from MBUK come in for a chat with a couple of us the other day…the do’s, the don’ts, what button did what, how to operate the suspension from the steering wheel buttons etc etc. Discovered if you stow the bed against the back wall and pull both handles on the seat, it goes back further… I can almost get comfortable now! Liking the PPC thingy…changed my driving style a bit by way of actually encouraging me to set the cruise lower than the limiter! 1st 2 nights and I was getting the over speed warning…changed my speed to 88km on cruise, reset the +/- tolerances to +2/-2 and now just trundle along letting it do its own thing and now return 11mpg, up from 10.6…isn’t technology amazing!! The other driver has got the 2nd one that arrived and had the same Tacho problem but apparently he has sussed that and will inform me later.

To add, not used to having a unit that’s actually limited to or even capable of 56, hence the overspeed warning! I was always the one who held others up, that changed for a couple of nights but normal service is resumed so apologies in advance! I’ll take a pic of the rear of trailer so a; you can pull out well in advance as you know I’m sat at 88 and b; give us a toot when you ‘fly by’!

I set my cruise at 86kph and the truck is capable of a very generous 90kph. It makes for such a relaxing drive and having quite a bit in reserve means that elephant races are something “others” take part in. Happy days.

Actrosman:

SpanishDriver:

Getting the hang/feel of it now…obviously been used to a Scania for too long! Had a guy from MBUK come in for a chat with a couple of us the other day…the do’s, the don’ts, what button did what, how to operate the suspension from the steering wheel buttons etc etc. Discovered if you stow the bed against the back wall and pull both handles on the seat, it goes back further… I can almost get comfortable now! Liking the PPC thingy…changed my driving style a bit by way of actually encouraging me to set the cruise lower than the limiter! 1st 2 nights and I was getting the over speed warning…changed my speed to 88km on cruise, reset the +/- tolerances to +2/-2 and now just trundle along letting it do its own thing and now return 11mpg, up from 10.6…isn’t technology amazing!! The other driver has got the 2nd one that arrived and had the same Tacho problem but apparently he has sussed that and will inform me later.

To add, not used to having a unit that’s actually limited to or even capable of 56, hence the overspeed warning! I was always the one who held others up, that changed for a couple of nights but normal service is resumed so apologies in advance! I’ll take a pic of the rear of trailer so a; you can pull out well in advance as you know I’m sat at 88 and b; give us a toot when you ‘fly by’!

WoW 11mpg… great figures…