If you had the money,time

and patience
What classic lorry would you like to restore and why ? Mine would be a Thames Trader Luton removals van :blush:
because one of of my first memories of travelling in a lorry was in one of these with the old man at the wheel .
Can remember there was always a bucket full of injector pipes and olives in the back for" long " trips :laughing:

A Dodge D308 with perkins 6.354 engine + eaton 2 speed axle + turner gearbox + telehoist tipper body.Why because these were the vehicles I served my time on 47 years ago. :slight_smile: But alas no money & no where to store it :cry: :frowning:

If money/time/space was no object I’d be wanting…
Collection of V8 Scania’s: 141, 143 [already have 142]
Diamond T 980 ballast tractor
Scammell Contractor mk2 ballast tractor
Ford Transcontnental
Various heavy recovery trucks
Mack R700 R.D. Trucking replica

in fact the more I think about it the more trucks I can think of. Certainly would rather these than a garage full of Ferrari’s or Lamboghini’s

For me it would be an F cab Volvo, probably an older one with the twin round head lights. Basically because when my brother passed his test his first job with an srtic was driving an F10 so it was the first truck I went in and then when I passed my test the first truck I drove was the F12 he was driving.

In my case it would be either a BMC FFK 140 7 tonner or a Foden S36 8 legger with a Gardner and 12 speed which is what I passed my test in, never going to happen though! I have the ability but not the cash or premises.

Pete.

1 - Merc 1628 in Swains old colours, RHD
2 - Scania 142m 6x2 rear lift in Eddom International Colours RHD
3 - Daf 3600 Space Cab 4x2 in Eddom International Colours RHD
4 - Volvo F16 4x2 Globetrotter in Barrios colours RHD
5 - The B reg Volvo F10 4x2 - round headlights, highline roof - as it’s just down the road from me doing nothing, at the mercy of the elements - Would restore in Dukes colours, as with all of the above, my first memories of trips away with the old man!

To add to my Scammell S26 Heavy Haulage tractor and Peterbilt 379EXHD:

Scammell Crusader 6x4 tractor in full Pickfords Industrial spec, sleeper cab, Rolls Royce engine etc.,
Scammell 100 tonner - Leaping Lena
Kenworth K100 6X4 Aerodyne in Mike Lawrence colours
MAN 40.400 Jumbo
Leyland Marathon M/E spec 6x4
Renault R420 TurboLiner, LHD, full metallic paint with factory stripes!!
Tractomas 10x8 Rotrans special

As you might guess, I have a bias towards heavy haulage

ERF B Series - 240 Gardner/RTO9509A/Eaton back end, coupled to a Metalair tandem axle tipping tank.

Painted in the revised red & white Allied Mills livery carrying the VitBe branding on the tank.

Difficult this one, atki’s, dodges, scannys,f88’s, daf 2800’s

But I think of all of them and it’s just a personal thing would be an F700 Mack 6x4, OHS colours. always thought they looked the business.

I would like a nice 141 scania,3 axle tractor unit,twin stacks up the back but no extra lights or polished bits just nice an basic with a nice livery.

Middle east spec marathon, left ■■■■■■, either BRS overland, or Astran, with matching spread axle tilt :smiley: … or would it break down all the time just attending shows & rallies :cry:

jerry

I would like the Atkinson Viewline or Scammell Samson both which I drove while working at Pickfords I was also fortunate enough to have a couple of days in “Leaping Lena” when my dad took me with him in the 50s and when I started work there in the 60s I worked with Cliff who had been the regular driver on “Leaping Lena” I was his mate for approx. 6 months but that was on a super constructor and contractor.

I would have a Scania 111 in Felgates colours and a Scania 142 in RD’s colours

A Dodge KT900 with a ■■■■■■■ V8, because I just love the look of that cab and the sound of that engine.
But then again a Foden S36 with a 2 - stroke would run it a close 2nd.

TIPIT:
A Dodge KT900 with a ■■■■■■■ V8, because I just love the look of that cab and the sound of that engine.
But then again a Foden S36 with a 2 - stroke would run it a close 2nd.

Yes ■■■■■■■ Dodge, love to here one of them again.

It would have to be an Atkinson Borderer in NITS livery (Northern Ireland Trailers) with 240 Gardner
Oh sweet music to my ears. regards Big Al :smiley:

Big Al:
It would have to be an Atkinson Borderer in NITS livery (Northern Ireland Trailers) with 240 Gardner
Oh sweet music to my ears. regards Big Al :smiley:

Of course time and money no object I fancy a Thornycroft Antar, real Big Boyz Toys :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
regards Big Al

Merc 1628 in Mauri Yeast colours
Leyland Marathon in IJ Blakey colours
Volvo F86 in North Bridge Haulage colours
all the above i travelled the country in when i was a kid with my grandad

Volvo F88/89 in Bowkers colours with supercube tilt
Daf 2800 in J A cox colours( Roofrack air horns all the trimmings)
Sedatki 400 sleeper in Davis colours
Scania 141 in any 70s irish colours with matching fridge
Series 1 Volvo f12 Globetrotter in Brian Yeardleys colours(The No1 lorry in our area when i was a kid)

If i win the Lotto then you will see all these on the show scene lol

Back in the early ‘70’s, when it was common practice to take your truck home evenings and week-ends, a guy who ran a caravan park near me use to let me park up at the back of his yard, out the way and out of sight.
This would cost me a bottle of Scotch every so often, and worth every penny.
He’d often have a chat when I dropped the wagon off, or went down on a week-end to give it a good clean, always a cup of tea and a natter. He was getting on a bit then,( well, when you’re in your twenties, anyone older that fifty is getting on a bit ) and was thinking about retiring. While chatting one week-end he asked me if I’d like to buy a lorry. He took me to a one of his several big sheds, and inside was this immaculate ‘40’s GMC 6X4 tractor unit and 2 axel trailer.
Well in those days £500 was a lot of money, he also had a proviso that I’d keep it for some time and not sell it for a quick profit. I had neither the money or the space to keep it. Gutted.
To-day, if I had the same chance I’d snap his hand off, £500 and I’ve the space to keep a fleet of them.
So for me, that same motor, 1940’s GMC 6X4 tractor/trailer, US army colours, star on bonnet, wooden steering wheel, immaculate condition, not sure about the petrol engine though, may have to have a transplant !!
Often wondered what happened to it !

As it’s only a dream,

A Volvo F89 & spreadaxle tilt in full M/E spec, in PIE or Oryx colours to stand out from all the Astran looky likies, complete with dirt so it looked as if it had just finished a trip. Pure nostalgia.

That 143 Centurian that was in T&D a few months ago. The best looking lorry ever made & an emerging classic.

A 1968 Ford D800 flatbed. Fond memories.

Ergo cabbed Mandator or Mammoth Major tanker. The cream of British lorries.

I wonder which of today’s lorries will be on the restoration lists in 25yrs time?