I was feeling old until i

Went and read the old time lorries forum and theres guys in there using this site who are talking about driving lorries in the 60,s and 70,s Jeez how old are some of you guys :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: ■■?..

All my aches and pains have gone now as i suddenly feel rejuvenated… :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

Jammymutt, I was driving wagons in 1974 on the farms doing contract farm work, although at the time I was only 14 :smiley: :smiley: Kept off the Queen’s highway though :laughing:

62, not for much longer though.

Sheeter:
62, not for much longer though.

Snap :laughing:

Salut, David.

That’s one of the things I love about this industry…

I’m 53 and for the first time in years I feel like the youngster :laughing:

jammymutt:
Went and read the old time lorries forum and theres guys in there using this site who are talking about driving lorries in the 60,s and 70,s Jeez how old are some of you guys :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: ■■?..

All my aches and pains have gone now as i suddenly feel rejuvenated… :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

yea but these guys look a lot younger than you Alex :smiling_imp: :laughing: :laughing:

Being one of the grandads on here…and proud of it…i have been on the road since 1963…thats 42 years…been in the trucking industry for 40 years…and 30 years international…been there…done that…got the T shirt…sand in my shoes…
driven everything…pulled every trailer…but there are more experienced and older drivers…still doing the rounds…bless em !!

truckyboy:
Being one of the grandads on here…and proud of it…i have been on the road since 1963…thats 42 years…been in the trucking industry for 40 years…and 30 years international…been there…done that…got the T shirt…sand in my shoes…
driven everything…pulled every trailer…but there are more experienced and older drivers…still doing the rounds…bless em !!

My start time was just the same as yours Bob. Who are these older ones? The only one I can remember, from whom I haven’t heard for a while, is John Townrow over in California. He’s pushing 70 I think, but did retire - for the second time.
You still there lurking John? Or back pushing that black KW again? :laughing:

Salut, David.

Theres a guy i work with who,s 64 and still driving when im fortunate enough to get the chance to sit and have a coffee with him i love all his stories maybe i should record them and put them on here some time.

I did mention the site to him but he ran away when i mentioned computers :slight_smile::).

jammymutt:
Theres a guy i work with who,s 64

64 ?

We have a couple that are near 80…

and sly old sods they are :laughing:

Well if its any consolation my grandad is 84 and still drives for a living :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Only 3 days a week mind, in a transit

simon

steve_24v:
and sly old sods they are :laughing:

OH ■■■■■■■■ HOW TRUE…

Experience comes with age and how sly this old git is i love him really but he can soon vanish when theres a long shift about to be handed out he seems to be able to read the minds of the traffisc op,s and use it to his advantage.

I’m only a baby compared to Spardo and Trucky… just approaching the magical 50… been at this game since '81 though

Really? You didn’t look a day over 49 when I saw you in Belgium a couple of weeks ago. :wink: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

when i started in the steel works there was an old fella filling in for one of the subbies who was off after an operation, he were 68 i think and couldn’t do enough to help me with the job, new all the tricks. it was winter time and the door into the mill had been playing up for ages, you had to stick a pen in the box to open it and once open it took ages to shut it or you got frozen loading the wagon. so one morning he says he’s fed up with it, and he were going to get it sorted, so instead of shutting it he just brought it down about a third of the way and pulled a wire out of the box “that door will get fixed now” he said, next morning sure enough there were fitters on the job putting a new door on!
he’d lowered it to exactly the right height for one of the shippers with tautliners who came in during the day to hit it with the top of his trailer!

Hell this could start a completely new thread :stuck_out_tongue:

I worked with a bloke called Dusty Miller from Hull when tank containers were a novelty, Dusty liked a drink as we all do, so he was made up when he had to go up to Dumbarton to load Whisky, anyway he setoff on Sunday afternoon to load on Monday. By about Wednesday people were becoming concerned, (no telephones and no real need to ring anyway)

About a week later Dusty rolled into the yard, fairly unconcerned and casually mentioned he had been in Hospital in Carlisle :stuck_out_tongue:

He had managed to get a free sample unbeknown to the distillery. But unbeknown to Dusty, this was 100% pure alcohol. They pumped his stomach out and sent him home :smiley:

Dusty could do trips to Montrose a week, but the boss used to lift him in the truck because he was always drunk :stuck_out_tongue:

There were dozens of drivers like this working out of Howdendyke wharf on steel, 3 loads a day to West Midlands and back in the pub for opening time :confused:

Coffeeholic:
Really? You didn’t look a day over 49 when I saw you in Belgium a couple of weeks ago. :wink: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

SimonRS2K:
Well if its any consolation my grandad is 84 and still drives for a living :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Keep 'em coming people, I feel younger with every post :laughing: .

Salut, David.

You didn’t look a day over 49 when I saw you in Belgium a couple of weeks ago

:confused:
Thats my :laughing: