Retirement

I too retired 2 years ago aged 63, I dont miss the trucking or the nights out. When I started things were different and you could have a good crack with other truckers, it got too serious and everything has to be done yesterday. Enjoy your retirement mate and I hope its a long and happy one. kind regards Brian

Spardo:
Same as me, Powershot, I took the plunge at 60 two years ago and have never regretted. Too busy to miss it these days but no early starts :laughing: .
If you get a twinge of nostalgia now and again, this site is the best tonic.

Took a trip back to Blighty this last couple of weeks and spent 3 nights in routier restaurants where they still recognised me. That’s a good feeling, but not half as good as shooting the breeze with working drivers of all nationalities at dinner. But best of all? Starting late in the morning when they are all gone yawning into the dawn and leaving me with the pick of the empty showers :smiley:

Take it easy, but not too easy, and enjoy.

Salut, David.

Greetings,All. Ref this topic, DITTO. Started in 1960,retired in 2000. Life’s grand. :smiley:

1963 to 2004 , retired through ill health at 62 . best thing i ever did , there is life after lorry driving !! dave

1958 - 2006 then pulled t’pin. :smiley:

Not too sure about this retirement thing, started driving (Bedford Tipper) in 1965 and officially retired in 2009 (MAN, two pedals and everything done by buttons) and drove just about everything except Foden inbetween, UK and European. Problem is even after 2 years I still miss the cut and thrust plus nights out and the workmates, probably gets into your blood bit like going to sea. May well do a bit more ‘up the road’ yet.

1967 to 2010,39 years with the same company i enjoyed it but will not be going back!!

Retired the first time in 1998,got bored,re-started again in 2005,retired the second time in 2009,got bored yet again,so re-started again,but only agency,so i can pick and choose,mind after 35 years of petrol.LPG and biumen tanks,fridges are a doddle!!!But,if thats what you want,enjoy it mate,i had a 7 year holiday in Cyprus!!

Hiya Vic,(V7), are you sure ITL can’t tempt you back?!! As you know I thought I’d try early retirement in 2010, after one year I was seriously bored, so in Sept just gone got my arse back in a Scania 480, it was like I’d never been away! However because I only work 1, 2, or 3 days a week I am actually enjoying it, must be something in the blood eh? All the best good buddy, regards, Mizzo.

mizzo:
Hiya Vic,(V7), are you sure ITL can’t tempt you back?!! As you know I thought I’d try early retirement in 2010, after one year I was seriously bored, so in Sept just gone got my arse back in a Scania 480, it was like I’d never been away! However because I only work 1, 2, or 3 days a week I am actually enjoying it, must be something in the blood eh? All the best good buddy, regards, Mizzo.

Now Les,no i could’nt be tempted i dont think, no HGV now otherwise i might be.Vic.

Hiya Vic, did’nt know your ticket had gone, mine runs out in 2014 when all the DCPC hits home, I think thats when I’ll park it in a lay-by for good!! All the best by the way, Regards, Mizzo.

mizzo:
Hiya Vic, did’nt know your ticket had gone, mine runs out in 2014 when all the DCPC hits home, I think thats when I’ll park it in a lay-by for good!! All the best by the way, Regards, Mizzo.

Yeah Les,same to you,it ran out september 2010 just after i retired in the may,i would have had to do the treadmill every year so i did,nt bother,P.S.Dawson stayed on but says he,s going in april!!! have a good time over xmas.Vic.

Well finley done it after 40 years on the road I have retired at the age of 60 just
felt it was getting to much. Had a back problem for a long time but last March
it got really bad so my wife said why don,t you retire. Save a few bob over the
years have got a private pension so we decided to sell our house in east London and move to the east coast what a nightmare selling these days
well finley moved in just before xmas took BT nearly 6 weeks to get my
broadband up and runing. By the whey eney one rember the old fodens
fibreglass cabs and no power steering
all the best powershot

40 years hey powershop…have a happy retirement

shaun

Hey Shaun…you take it easy mate and enjoy your well earned rest…started about the same time as me…60`s…i remember the old fodens ugly beasts they were too…not as ugly as the old thames trader…mickey mouse foden was nicer looking…the ford d series was a good machine in its day…as was the D1000…started getting good machines after that…oh well …dont go too near the waters edge :laughing: :laughing:
have a nice day

truckyboy:
Hey Shaun…you take it easy mate and enjoy your well earned rest…

me retired nooo way im 33 feel like i m tho with how the work is at the mo :laughing:

Well done powershot on achieving 40 years on the
road and have a happy retirement and all the best
for the future :smiley: .

I hope you have a long and happy retirement powershot.

Forty years on the road is a great acheivement and I’m sure you have some tales to tell and with all the time you will have on your hands now no excuses, get typing please. :wink: :smiley: :smiley:

Same as me, Powershot, I took the plunge at 60 two years ago and have never regretted. Too busy to miss it these days but no early starts :laughing: .
If you get a twinge of nostalgia now and again, this site is the best tonic.

Took a trip back to Blighty this last couple of weeks and spent 3 nights in routier restaurants where they still recognised me. That’s a good feeling, but not half as good as shooting the breeze with working drivers of all nationalities at dinner. But best of all? Starting late in the morning when they are all gone yawning into the dawn and leaving me with the pick of the empty showers :smiley:

Take it easy, but not too easy, and enjoy.

Salut, David.